Parking up for the winter months

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PP Bear, Oct 27, 2014.

1. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I got chatting to a couple at the NEC who had a new Autotrail Comanche and how they were heading home to park up the vehicle for the winter :(

Also just read that Puddleduck has taken his vehicle off road and SORN it, so I was thinking, how many other Funsters have now parked up for the winter months or are planning it in the not to distant future :)

I couldn't live without my fix, hence I'll be out all year round. I quite like waking up to a crisp clean winter mornings and looking out from a warm motorhome, then heading out wrapped up warm, only to return to a cosy home and the comforts it's brings :)

So how many have already closed down for the winter or are planning to shortly??

• Like Like x 4
  2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We are keeping ours on the road this year, sorned it last year then wished we hadn't.

• Like Like x 2
  3. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Not us

It's a year round activity for us, out and about as much as possible and will continue to do so until the new year,

Already filling the diary for 2015 with some outings already booked in, starting with February.

Never wanted our motorhome to be a garden ornament.

Adrian

• Like Like x 2
  4. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

We are looking at it the other way around.
    Today I went onto the DVLA site to SORN the car because we're off in the 'van.
    What a nightmare, the site wanted to SORN the car from 1st October and there was no way around it.
    I went on to the telephone to do it which is just as bad because it's fully automated. I've got it SORN'ed from now but I'll still be using it up to the 31st Oct. Lord help them if I get a summons.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

no immediate plans to be away, but you never know do you? we like to use the van through the winter for days out. or going to see the fireworks of an evening. all so much nicer to sit in a warm motorhome drinking coffee than shivering in the car
    plus plans to be away january too

• Like Like x 3
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Off to a rally in November and another in February plus we will have short breaks and a visit to family in Sussex.

When I took my vehicle in for its first service this year they were impressed by the mileage (8000) and said they get some vans which only do a thousand miles a year and are only used for a few weeks.

But I wouldn't criticise we are all different and have different needs but I do suspect there some who simply don't consider winter use.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

I really believe that months of idleness for the engine is a big no no and as motorhomes are in general better insulated than they have ever been and ditto heating systems so get out and enjoy your hard earned pride and joy.
    Many many glorious winter days, we have walked and picnicked on some winter days so beautiful that a summer day could never compare.
    Only problem unless you are a wilder is finding sites.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We've still got 3 weeks away in Shirley this year to look forward to :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We're going to France for New Year and hope to get the odd weekend in too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Goshawk

Goshawk Funster

i like to keep an open mind if something comes up i can be off, plus visit son and friends, and with this site someone is always out and about
    it is good to have that option:) to meet up

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

we will be out most weekends and any time we can only thing is it can be a strain on the battery's so fitting a further two battery's as reserve.
    considering a B2B charger
    hoping Santa is going to bring me one

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Wouldn't even consider taking my 'Peanuts' off the road. Previous years I have been away in the van and between 2 vans we have prepared the full Xmas lunch - can't beat it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We use ours all the time too, would dream of not using it through the winter.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  14. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

I go on leave after duties the 19 December when we'll set off on another BritStops tour again :)

I can't wait to witness all those olde worlde pubs, open log fires, low beams and ale, but we need to be back to Di's place to have Christmas dinner with her boys :)

I did suggest that we could do it all in the motorhome and that they could come to us, but fell on deaf ears I'm afraid :(

Still once we've done that, we'll be back out again BritStopping our way around the countryside until the 4 Jan, when the Queenie will expect me back at the sharp end doing my bit :)

Can't blooming wait!! :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

Would you want to miss scenery like this? Melrose, Scottish Borders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  16. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Been across that bridge many a time but never in snow, super photos. We hope to have at least another weekend before christmas but this time of year we use our holiday cabin more because love our log burner. I sometimes think we don't need a house. :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Going down to the New Forest end November. The Setthorns site is open all year, no toilets etc but who needs em.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lorger

lorger Funster

We are off for 9 nights this Friday, first 2 nights at Strathyre to do a race I entered when it was warm and sunny :) Then Sunday morning if I can move we will drive up to Aviemore before heading to Inverness and the surrounding area.
    Weather doesn't look to great but we have waterproofs.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Like you Bear I work not a million miles from Andover, I'm lucky that I can store store my van in a heated garage at work until we decide to use it. I travel back and forth by train every fortnight except when we need the van for a trip. We sorn'd another van we had a few years ago and regretted the hassle, like Pduck we had withdrawal symptoms immediately but couldn't face the uber- hassle of un-sorning it. So we wouldn't do it again. Probably off to Norfolk to count peoples toes in November.:D

There's a whole new vernacular in SORNING!:cry::D

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Brilliant pics, thanks!(y)

• Like Like x 3