Parking up for the winter months (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I got chatting to a couple at the NEC who had a new Autotrail Comanche and how they were heading home to park up the vehicle for the winter :(

Also just read that Puddleduck has taken his vehicle off road and SORN it, so I was thinking, how many other Funsters have now parked up for the winter months or are planning it in the not to distant future :)

I couldn't live without my fix, hence I'll be out all year round. I quite like waking up to a crisp clean winter mornings and looking out from a warm motorhome, then heading out wrapped up warm, only to return to a cosy home and the comforts it's brings :)

So how many have already closed down for the winter or are planning to shortly??

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not us

It's a year round activity for us, out and about as much as possible and will continue to do so until the new year,

Already filling the diary for 2015 with some outings already booked in, starting with February.

Never wanted our motorhome to be a garden ornament.

Adrian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are looking at it the other way around.
Today I went onto the DVLA site to SORN the car because we're off in the 'van.
What a nightmare, the site wanted to SORN the car from 1st October and there was no way around it.
I went on to the telephone to do it which is just as bad because it's fully automated. I've got it SORN'ed from now but I'll still be using it up to the 31st Oct. Lord help them if I get a summons.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no immediate plans to be away, but you never know do you? we like to use the van through the winter for days out. or going to see the fireworks of an evening. all so much nicer to sit in a warm motorhome drinking coffee than shivering in the car
plus plans to be away january too

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Off to a rally in November and another in February plus we will have short breaks and a visit to family in Sussex.

When I took my vehicle in for its first service this year they were impressed by the mileage (8000) and said they get some vans which only do a thousand miles a year and are only used for a few weeks.

But I wouldn't criticise we are all different and have different needs but I do suspect there some who simply don't consider winter use.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I really believe that months of idleness for the engine is a big no no and as motorhomes are in general better insulated than they have ever been and ditto heating systems so get out and enjoy your hard earned pride and joy.
Many many glorious winter days, we have walked and picnicked on some winter days so beautiful that a summer day could never compare.
Only problem unless you are a wilder is finding sites.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're going to France for New Year and hope to get the odd weekend in too.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i like to keep an open mind if something comes up i can be off, plus visit son and friends, and with this site someone is always out and about
it is good to have that option:) to meet up

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we will be out most weekends and any time we can only thing is it can be a strain on the battery's so fitting a further two battery's as reserve.
considering a B2B charger
hoping Santa is going to bring me one

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wouldn't even consider taking my 'Peanuts' off the road. Previous years I have been away in the van and between 2 vans we have prepared the full Xmas lunch - can't beat it!

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Wouldn't even consider taking my 'Peanuts' off the road. Previous years I have been away in the van and between 2 vans we have prepared the full Xmas lunch - can't beat it!
I go on leave after duties the 19 December when we'll set off on another BritStops tour again :)

I can't wait to witness all those olde worlde pubs, open log fires, low beams and ale, but we need to be back to Di's place to have Christmas dinner with her boys :)

I did suggest that we could do it all in the motorhome and that they could come to us, but fell on deaf ears I'm afraid :(

Still once we've done that, we'll be back out again BritStopping our way around the countryside until the 4 Jan, when the Queenie will expect me back at the sharp end doing my bit :)

Can't blooming wait!! :)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Been across that bridge many a time but never in snow, super photos. We hope to have at least another weekend before christmas but this time of year we use our holiday cabin more because love our log burner. I sometimes think we don't need a house. :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are off for 9 nights this Friday, first 2 nights at Strathyre to do a race I entered when it was warm and sunny :) Then Sunday morning if I can move we will drive up to Aviemore before heading to Inverness and the surrounding area.
Weather doesn't look to great but we have waterproofs.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I go on leave after duties the 19 December when we'll set off on another BritStops tour again :)
I can't wait to witness all those olde worlde pubs, open log fires, low beams and ale, but we need to be back to Di's place to have Christmas dinner with her boys :)
I did suggest that we could do it all in the motorhome and that they could come to us, but fell on deaf ears I'm afraid :(
Still once we've done that, we'll be back out again BritStopping our way around the countryside until the 4 Jan, when the Queenie will expect me back at the sharp end doing my bit :)
Can't blooming wait!! :)

Like you Bear I work not a million miles from Andover, I'm lucky that I can store store my van in a heated garage at work until we decide to use it. I travel back and forth by train every fortnight except when we need the van for a trip. We sorn'd another van we had a few years ago and regretted the hassle, like Pduck we had withdrawal symptoms immediately but couldn't face the uber- hassle of un-sorning it. So we wouldn't do it again. Probably off to Norfolk to count peoples toes in November.:D

There's a whole new vernacular in SORNING!:cry::D

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
You spent a lot of money on a MH and you store it away for months WHY?

There are lots of things a do in the winter. Get out there you will be surprised.

colyboy

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never used ours much in the winter but apart from draining down we don't do anything as it sits in our front garden and doesn't take much to get it ready to go. As we're not planning any non motorhome trip this winter we will probably get away in it somewhere. We're at the CC site at Yarmouth Racecourse this weekend for a family trip to Pleasurewood Hills. Now you've got me searching the club sites for November/December.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have the world famous Brewery Dave Gourmet meet and also the Cheltenham new year meet. Probably a few other things as well but nothing planned quite yet. The van lives in the driveway so really easy just to up sticks and go......

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have the world famous Brewery Dave Gourmet meet and also the Cheltenham new year meet. Probably a few other things as well but nothing planned quite yet. The van lives in the driveway so really easy just to up sticks and go......

Who shot you Dux and why?:cry:..............................THREAD DRIFT ALERT (y)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We are going on the Cheltenham meet for the new year and hope to get away in November, what's the point in having it sorned for the little bit of money you save. If the weather forecast is good we can just load up and get away, but we do need ehu in the winter. Still at Southport at the moment.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We had ours up Cairngorm Mountain in feb this year with no problems. Roads would need to be very bad to stop us in winter

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I really believe that months of idleness for the engine is a big no no and as motorhomes are in general better insulated than they have ever been and ditto heating systems so get out and enjoy your hard earned pride and joy.
Many many glorious winter days, we have walked and picnicked on some winter days so beautiful that a summer day could never compare.
Only problem unless you are a wilder is finding sites.

This may help.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=248
https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/-/open-all-year/

:coolest::coolest::coolest:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread