paperboy saves pensioner

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by fyggy, Jan 1, 2010.

  1. fyggy

    fyggy Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    In a brick built
    A newspaper delivery boy from North Yorkshire has been rewarded after he saved an elderly woman from a build up of poisonous fumes in her house.

    Dan Eggleton, 17, from Scarborough, was on his round in the Crossgates area of the town when he noticed a smell as he opened the woman's letterbox.

    Dan said he telephoned his shop for help and a gas engineer was called.

    It was found that the vents through which boiler fumes escape were iced up causing a build up of carbon monoxide.

    Dan said he did not want to knock on the door when he smelt the gas, in case the woman switched on a light which might cause a spark.

    'Saved my life'

    He was given £50 of vouchers by Northern Gas Networks, which owns the gas pipeline, as a reward for his swift action.

    A spokesman for the company said: "Dan's responsible actions have potentially saved this lady's life."

    The woman, who wanted to remain anonymous, praised Dan's actions.

    "I'm so grateful. He's saved my life.

    "I was nodding off a lot and, who knows, without him helping out I might not have woken up again."

    Mr Eggleton said: "I'm really pleased the lady is now safe and well."




    Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 437052.stm

    Published: 2010/01/01 13:00:39 GMT


    BBC MMX
     
  2. dellwood33

    dellwood33 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Messages:
    3,449
    Likes Received:
    887
    Location:
    Newcastle
    Quick thinking about the light switch :Smile:
     
  3. JumboBeef

    JumboBeef Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    0
    ....but Carbon Monoxide is odorless..... :Confused:
     
  4. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,460
    Likes Received:
    16,888
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    carbon monoxide may be, but the other by-products arent.

    go and have a lungfull of air next your boiler/heater vent...it stinks.
     
  5. gwnking

    gwnking Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    521
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    East Anglia
    Correct carbon monoxide is odourless and Graham and I are very lucky to still be here. When we bought our first house together it was a very cold Feb day when we went to view, and didnt notice that they didnt have the fire on!!. Well you dont when your so excited. Only when we moved in and sat feeling very sleepy when the fire was on that it was off for yet another early night :Wink::Wink:, then feeling wide awake once we were upstairs that we became suspicious that there something wrong. So I called in a chimney sweep thinking that they hadnt had the chimney swept and it was blocked up. He couldnt get his brush up the chimney and said to call gas board, which we did and they condemed the fire. The previous owners had bought the fire, had it fitted incorrectly and there was no flue so we were being poisoned.

    Well done to the paper boy for being so alert to what could of been a very sad outcome.
     
Loading...

Share This Page