fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp
A newspaper delivery boy from North Yorkshire has been rewarded after he saved an elderly woman from a build up of poisonous fumes in her house.

Dan Eggleton, 17, from Scarborough, was on his round in the Crossgates area of the town when he noticed a smell as he opened the woman's letterbox.

Dan said he telephoned his shop for help and a gas engineer was called.

It was found that the vents through which boiler fumes escape were iced up causing a build up of carbon monoxide.

Dan said he did not want to knock on the door when he smelt the gas, in case the woman switched on a light which might cause a spark.

'Saved my life'

He was given £50 of vouchers by Northern Gas Networks, which owns the gas pipeline, as a reward for his swift action.

A spokesman for the company said: "Dan's responsible actions have potentially saved this lady's life."

The woman, who wanted to remain anonymous, praised Dan's actions.

"I'm so grateful. He's saved my life.

"I was nodding off a lot and, who knows, without him helping out I might not have woken up again."

Mr Eggleton said: "I'm really pleased the lady is now safe and well."

Story from BBC NEWS:
Link Removed ... 437052.stm

Published: 2010/01/01 13:00:39 GMT

BBC MMX

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Dan Eggleton, 17, from Scarborough, was on his round in the Crossgates area of the town when he noticed a smell as he opened the woman's letterbox.

It was found that the vents through which boiler fumes escape were iced up causing a build up of carbon monoxide.

....but Carbon Monoxide is odorless..... :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Correct carbon monoxide is odourless and Graham and I are very lucky to still be here. When we bought our first house together it was a very cold Feb day when we went to view, and didnt notice that they didnt have the fire on!!. Well you dont when your so excited. Only when we moved in and sat feeling very sleepy when the fire was on that it was off for yet another early night :winky::winky:, then feeling wide awake once we were upstairs that we became suspicious that there something wrong. So I called in a chimney sweep thinking that they hadnt had the chimney swept and it was blocked up. He couldnt get his brush up the chimney and said to call gas board, which we did and they condemed the fire. The previous owners had bought the fire, had it fitted incorrectly and there was no flue so we were being poisoned.

Well done to the paper boy for being so alert to what could of been a very sad outcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back