Panic, Level Crossing, Hymer Build Quality... (3 Viewers)

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I have an awful confession to make.

Always saw myself as a cool, calm and collected, rufty tufty, off-site Freeloader.

Total Self Delusion.

There I was, pottering along a road I have been on many times before, making my way to the Shop of Shame to buy pies.

I was in the middle of crossing a raised, single track level crossing, when the barrier came down stopping the cars on the other side of the road coming towards me.

Panic.

I looked to my right and a train was approaching.

More and stronger PANIC

Now of course, the barrier was only stopping the cars on the OTHER SIDE of the road, and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop me continuing to drive forward and head off on my way but...

...with the train getting closer I was not thinking properly at all...

I BACKED UP to clear the track.

This naturally brought me into contact with the drop down barrier which had come down behind me...

No time to think... I just continued reversing, bending the aluminium bar back, until I had cleared the track. The bent barrier slide down the side of my beautiful, classic Hymer.

Then the bloody train stopped. There was a station just before the crossing and folk were getting on and off.

I got out and bent the bar back away from my van side and holding it so as to prevent further damage when it went back up again.

In due course, the train passed (slowly), the barrier went up, clearing everything and I drove off the crossing.

View attachment 160976

Can hardly see the scratch...

JJ :cool:

Wow expected carnage

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I thought you were going to say that the train was a write-off and the Hymer was intact!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Those pies should come with health warning, glad you and the Hymer are ok though(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back