Panic, Level Crossing, Hymer Build Quality... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have an awful confession to make.

Always saw myself as a cool, calm and collected, rufty tufty, off-site Freeloader.

Total Self Delusion.

There I was, pottering along a road I have been on many times before, making my way to the Shop of Shame to buy pies.

I was in the middle of crossing a raised, single track level crossing, when the barrier came down stopping the cars on the other side of the road coming towards me.

Panic.

I looked to my right and a train was approaching.

More and stronger PANIC

Now of course, the barrier was only stopping the cars on the OTHER SIDE of the road, and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop me continuing to drive forward and head off on my way but...

...with the train getting closer I was not thinking properly at all...

I BACKED UP to clear the track.

This naturally brought me into contact with the drop down barrier which had come down behind me...

No time to think... I just continued reversing, bending the aluminium bar back, until I had cleared the track. The bent barrier slide down the side of my beautiful, classic Hymer.

Then the bloody train stopped. There was a station just before the crossing and folk were getting on and off.

I got out and bent the bar back away from my van side and holding it so as to prevent further damage when it went back up again.

In due course, the train passed (slowly), the barrier went up, clearing everything and I drove off the crossing.

20170503_163733.jpg

Can hardly see the scratch...

JJ :cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Happens to the best of us. As with most brain farts that don't kill you they do give you something to laugh about later... Thanks for sharing (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Strange that there were no warning lights to say the barrier was about to be lowered.

or is a visit to spec savers in order :)

Reactions: JJ

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That barrier would have trashed a new van today, luckily they knew how to build them properly years ago
Probably would have damaged the train had it hit you, so lucky them really

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hardly notice any marks and you and the motorhome where safe.

Better that than something like this.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Good point Mr Silver-Fox,

I have thought about it quite a lot and definitely NO lights flashing or warning bells...

I will use this info when they send me the bill.

Glad i could be of help (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
JJ they may insist on a training course to prevent you going off the rails in future ;)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
JJ that's not good :Eeek: enough to put you off your pies. :beerchug:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
At least you are still around to smile about it.

Difficult to be critical of anyone in a panic situation. Hopefully you got your pies, although you probably had indigestion as a result of your brush with mortality

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Must have been scary JJ .. glad no serious damage done to the Wagon and you remained pretty calm really ...next item on the shopping list dashcam... proof there was no warning

John n Kath xx

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased you are OK but you need to be punished, cruelty to Hymer's is a serious offence.
NO Beer or Wine for 7 days.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are we related JJ??

Similar taste in MH's?

Similar reversing into things?

Possibly numerous other likenesses, good looks and wealth ? :LOL::LOL: (y)(y)

Glad your damage was not too bad, I found the rear end more forgiving o_O, but think newer Hymers would not have faired so well in your instance (y)

IMG_2211.JPG

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
OK. No pies then. Then you'll suffer.:)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Glad to hear you are ok and van isn't damaged could have been a lot worse ,onward and upward
a lesson to us all :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Could have been worse , could have been a herd of cows ruminating towards you.:oops::oops:

Good to see no damage on van.(y)

A lot of crossings do not have warnings, barriers ,etc: Around here you were expected to check there wasn't a train coming. All now have half barriers & lights after the South Americans & Moroccans kept trying to get across in front of a train & losing.& this on a line where you can count the daily trains on your fingers !

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Knowing the Portuguese, if you complain, they'll send you the bill for repainting the barrier.

Ruminating. That's an interesting word. And entirely appropriate, as cows certainly do ruminate. But so do thoughtful people. I wonder what thoughtful ruminants are called. Ruminating ruminants?

I get very twitchy on these crossings, and still look both ways as I cross. Mind you the trains are very infrequent around our area, and yet the larger stations are magnificent railway relics:

Caldas_da_Rainha_Railway_Station.png

Deleted User
I have an awful confession to make.

Always saw myself as a cool, calm and collected, rufty tufty, off-site Freeloader.

Total Self Delusion.

There I was, pottering along a road I have been on many times before, making my way to the Shop of Shame to buy pies.

I was in the middle of crossing a raised, single track level crossing, when the barrier came down stopping the cars on the other side of the road coming towards me.

Panic.

I looked to my right and a train was approaching.

More and stronger PANIC

Now of course, the barrier was only stopping the cars on the OTHER SIDE of the road, and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop me continuing to drive forward and head off on my way but...

...with the train getting closer I was not thinking properly at all...

I BACKED UP to clear the track.

This naturally brought me into contact with the drop down barrier which had come down behind me...

No time to think... I just continued reversing, bending the aluminium bar back, until I had cleared the track. The bent barrier slide down the side of my beautiful, classic Hymer.

Then the bloody train stopped. There was a station just before the crossing and folk were getting on and off.

I got out and bent the bar back away from my van side and holding it so as to prevent further damage when it went back up again.

In due course, the train passed (slowly), the barrier went up, clearing everything and I drove off the crossing.

View attachment 160976

Can hardly see the scratch...

I quite expected you to finish by saying " and then I woke up "

Spongy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Don't worry @JJ the marks on side of van are just the normal Hymer rust .not found on British. Motorhomes
Lol

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What would have happened if somebody behind HAD stopped at the barrier? you would have done a load of damage then.. Why does the human brain make odd or bad decisions under stress. I would have been obvious that the way ahead was clear but the brain does not see that it sees the barrier DOWN.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Well now when we come over, We will take more care now. Glad you are safe. That pie shop would go broke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back