Panel Van Rear Door Curtains

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hughman, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Hughman

Hughman Funster

I'm hoping someone may be able to suggest a solution here. We have a Ducato-based PVC which is great except for when you open the back doors in the rain, e.g. to get stuff out of the boot or turn gas on/off.. Rain then gets on curtains and/or bed.

I tried making curtains out of heavy clear polythene and velcro-ing them around the door frame so they could be removed, but velcro can't stand continental temperatures and came unglued!

It must be a relatively common problem with all PVCs but I've not been able to find a commercially available solution other than Fiamma's rear door awning, which is a good idea, but way too ott for our needs.

Thanks.

2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I'm thinking that probably the cheapest and easiest solution would be a tension rod across the back at the top with a shower curtain or two attached to it. Easily removable and lightweight.

Having a PVC myself it's something that I have to contend with and one of the reasons I have a gas system that is safe to drive with it switched on so I don't have to get out in the wet to switch on/off.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hughman

Hughman Funster

Good idea - thanks. I'd probably need 2 curtains as one won't be wide enough. Hope the same problem doesn't arise with tension rods.

4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We have a PVC and I agree with you....... also what about the flippin flies too!

I have thought about (but not yet done anything about it) fitting a standard curtain track across the rear cupboards which are ceiling mounted and simply putting up short curtains.

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

It's not something I've thought about. Ralph's in the process of converting a Peugeot panel van. The back doors open. But there's only the bit between the cupboard and the top of the rear lounge cushions. I think if it was chucking it down that much , we wouldn't want the things that are kept under there anyway. Chairs, bbq, mat.
    Maybe our walking boots, but we could get them through the cupboard door on the inside.
    Flies? They could fly through any door or window if it doesn't have a fly screen. Our windows do. But the the doors don't. It's only a small opening ......
    Am I missing something? image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Depends upon how you use the van. We have a full size 'garage' under our fixed rear double bed so when we open the rear doors the 'bedroom' is exposed to the outside. If we have been out cycling and it is raining when we get back we still need to open the rear doors to put our bikes away.

Same thing with turning the gas on and off since the gas cylinders are under the bed too.

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ahh. I see. I'm forgetting different layouts.
    There's nothing under ours what we need to get to , to use / work the van. Only chairs bbq mat boots . We could get at those by just opening one of the doors too.
    Ralph has fitted a drip strip with LED lights attached to it over the sliding door. It works great , stopping water dripping into the van when it's raining , and you have the door open.
    Or when you open the Door and it has been raining.

9. Hughman

Hughman Funster

We've already got those. They blow in when you open the doors and get wet themselves as well. OK for keeping light out though.

10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Ahh, OK so maybe I won't rush to put some up then :eek:

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

13. scotjimland

no.. AFAIK they also do bespoke for back door(s)

• Like Like x 1
  14. houdini

houdini Funster

Tension rods do come in quite wide widths (well, you know what I mean!). Perhaps you could also throw an extra spare shower curtain over the bedding when you open the doors in the rain for added protection.

15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Where? I could be interested (y)

16. scotjimland

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Now that's a thought.........IKEA do variable length tension rod with rubber ends and cheap shower curtain.(y)

Hmm, come to think of it, that's what we have in the bathroom........ I wonder if Mrs Chox would notice if I ..............:whistle:

18. Hughman

Hughman Funster

May well be the way to go - I need to check the van, but there may not be space at the back to put up the tension bar, as I think the various lockers may go back too far. In that case, this looks like the answer.

So one way or another, a result :)

Thanks everyone.

19. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

The Globecar winterisation pack includes full width & height silver thermal screens for the back doors that attach with those studs. They cover the whole of the back door opening, but of course as such you are still shut out from the under bed garage. They do have a central zip up the middle, but you are now squeezing between cold wet thermal screens.

I used those same stud fastenings for the thermal/lightproof curtain that we made for isolating the cab from the rest of the vehicle - useful not only to keep the cab warm while driving but also for a bit of discreet overnight parking - cab window blinds are a bit of a giveaway.

What is needed for the back doors is something that covers the area between the tops of the doors when open & extends part way downwards from the open ends, creating a dry working area between the doors. Ideally, it should fix to the inside of the doors & unfold as you open them - spoils the point if you have to faf around in the rain erecting something.

I think we need @MinxyGirl 's expertise on this one - especially as she now has a use for just such a solution. And @ScotJimland has the equipment to run up the finished article(s). (y)

In all seriousness, if we can come up with a design, I have a brother-in-law with suitable manufacturing equipment for a small production run.

20. The Dude

The Dude Funster