Paint Protection

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Skyron, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Skyron

Skyron Funster

I'm thinking about getting the paint protection and internal stain guard for our new motorhome. Wondered what you all thoughtand if it's worthwhile.

2. wingman

wingman Funster

Hello @Skyron and welcome.

Great to have another Essex motorhomer. We're quite thin on the ground!

Out of the two, I would probably just choose the internal stain guard, although I never had either with my new van. It depends upon the occupants and usage really. If you've got kids or a dog, then it's probably not a bad idea. If there's only the two of you and you're not normally clumsy, it should be ok.

A lot of dealerships offer paint protection - not only with motorhomes, but with new cars too. There's a big kick-back to the dealership from the product supplier and 'paint protection' ain't cheap!

Would be interesting to know what you decided.
    Regards
    James

3. awg

awg Funster

Not sure if it makes any difference (yet) but I had the upholstery Scotchgarded on my new motorhome last July.

4. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

The paint protection that the dealers offer is a two pack product such as diamond brite amongst others , to physically protect your MH against stone chips then you need something like Paintshield , Paintshield is not cheap but it does work.

5. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Had paintshield on my khizzie from new .paintwork still bright and just the odd chip on bonnet .not bad for ten years old. Would recommend it..but as said it isnt cheap .as for internal with scotchguard its ok ,but do it yourselves.its only takes half an hour and the stuff costs less than a tenner a,spray can ....Roy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

I was talking to a body shop man, and I expressed the thought that you may as well p##s on it as use these products,I'm saying nothing was his reply

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Totally different from what I found.but hey I have only had it on test for the last ten years ,probably not long enough for me to recommend it..

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

But you are writing from your experience not what somebody down the pub told you, I believe ours was also done with something similar but as we got it used I don't know what, but what I do know is that it cleans up lovely and the front fibreglass is the same colour as the rest of the body which I have noticed is not the case with a few other Flairs that I have seen of a similar age (10 years).

So possibly it does work.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

My car was treated with Diamond Brite, not impressed, think it was a waste of money.
    Allow plenty of time for ventilation if you have the upholstery/ carpets treated. The chemical smell is initially very strong. Took a few days to dissipate.
    I did have house sofas Scotchguard treated years ago and I do think it helped to keep the covers looking good.

10. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Don't know anything about diamondbrite in fact never heard of it .my van was done by Paintshield and in my opinion money well spent..if anyone wishes to have a look for the selves you are more than welcome to stop over and look or see it at any meet I am at.

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Our cars were done with one of these preparations (different ones) and SWMBO impression is that it was good on her car (does 2000 miles a year, mainly to Tesco) but a bit of a waste on my LandRover which does a lot more mileage and gets muddy.
    In neither case did we pay for it as such, it was just included in the bargaining.

• Like Like x 1
  12. laird of Dunstan

The stuff that comes out of a tin and the film used by paintshield is quite different ,Paintshield is the name of the company, the product that is used is a ultra thin film that stops your vehicles paint getting chiped by stones etc thrown up by another cars tyres. I at this point declare an interest in painshield, i came up with the name in a Chinese restaurant in Lincolnshire and invested money in the business.
    The film that is used to stop your vehicle getting chipped has its origins in the aerospace industry,the original concept was used to stop the carbon fiber rotor blades of the Apachie helicopter being shredded by sand etc
    The latest film is quite amazing,i have it on my merc ,the merc has done 160,000 miles since new and there are no chips on it , if you have light scratches on the film,simply pour hand hot water onto it and they dissapear.
    I intend to have it put on my MH.

The stuff that dealers sell you as paint protection is a two part product , i can source it at around £30.00 , dealers sell it at a huge mark up usually something like £350.00 for a car that takes a man half a day to do

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Interesting post LOD, can you tell me if it's flexible enough to apply on motor homes and caravans?.

14. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Think I made,a boo boo the name of the product on khizzie is "Paintseal" not "Paintshield" ..however its a great coating that has lasted ..after @FJmike gave khizzie a good clean she came up like new.

15. laird of Dunstan

yes its flexible enough to apply to complex shapes ,im going to have the front of my MH done not sure about having the whole 8 meters done as the cost will be prohibitive. The main market for the product is high value cars such as McLarens,ferraris, etc etc ,the film is cut using a graphtech plotter,instead of a pen it has a diamond tipped cutting tool that cuts the shape out of a roll of the film, it is applied using a solution that allows it to be slid and stretched into place and the edges are then sealed.

My plan is to have the front of my A class done and to use a good quality wax on the rest of it

if you look up paintshield dot co dot uk you can find the web site

16. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

But if you hadn't had it done what would it be like, would you ever know? The guy I spoke to was not a man down the pub, he was the foreman of a motor home body shop. I had ours done with glam shield, inside was good , outside was never worth it £350 !!, never again

17. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Steve (1) I didn't say anything about you talking to a man in the pub . Please read my post . (2) had my van done 10 yrs ago ,and its like new. ,so don't need to even think what it would be like if it hadn't.(3) mine didn't cost me £350 it cost £600 .ten years ago ..think about it .if you want the best you pay for it...Roy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Skyron

Skyron Funster

A lot of mixed opinions there. I'll probably get the inside scotch guarded and the outside I'll wax with Collinite 476s.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

We all have a right to our opinions so here's mine..... I do bodywork and paint for a living, If I had a Euro for every customer who presents their vehicle to me for stonechip repairs to front bumpers I'd be very rich:rolleyes:......They all famously quote..." I cant understand how the paintwork got chipped like that....I paid dearly for paint protection system when buying it new?? ".....

20. Skyron

Skyron Funster

Agreed. Not much is going to stop stone chips.

• Like Like x 1