Free Member
Feb 25, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
low profile coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm thinking about getting the paint protection and internal stain guard for our new motorhome. Wondered what you all thoughtand if it's worthwhile.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
@Khizzie....So we agree nothing is going to stop stonechips....So what then does this paint protection actually " Protect " against?
Paint . !!!! @Jim why is it whenever you give an opinion about a product etc that you have dealings with ,someone wants you to quantify your opinion. Brassed off I am.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Glad you are happy with your product.....I can tell of similar stories with no products applied:p

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just had a shuftie at 'Paintshield' - from what I understand it is a 'film' that is placed over the existing paintwork etc (eg similar to wrapping a vehicle but with a different product) and is NOT a polish/coating that is put on like 'paint protection' products.

These are the 'important' points to note with regard to the 'guarantee/warranty':
  • you CANNOT transfer the guarantee/warranty to a new owner
  • it is covered for 4 years (or 45000 miles)
  • you can ONLY make one claim if the products is found to be faulty
For VERY expensive vehicles I can understand this being an extremely desirable protection system but I'm not totally convinced on other vehicles where a simple re-spray of the affected 'chipped' area would be a lot cheaper, that it makes economic sense. Also whilst it can give some protection to stone chips, some of the ones we've had would have gone through any film and for that the guarantee would be void and I assume the whole thing would have to be removed to repair the area and then have to pay for it to be recovered again.

It comes down therefore simply to whether you want it or not and if so you need to pay for it.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I've just had a shuftie at 'Paintshield' - from what I understand it is a 'film' that is placed over the existing paintwork etc (eg similar to wrapping a vehicle but with a different product) and is NOT a polish/coating that is put on like 'paint protection' products.

These are the 'important' points to note with regard to the 'guarantee/warranty':
  • you CANNOT transfer the guarantee/warranty to a new owner
  • it is covered for 4 years (or 45000 miles)
  • you can ONLY make one claim if the products is found to be faulty
For VERY expensive vehicles I can understand this being an extremely desirable protection system but I'm not totally convinced on other vehicles where a simple re-spray of the affected area would be a lot cheaper, that it makes economic sense.

It comes down therefore simply to whether you want it or not and if so you need to pay for it.
I think that a few motorhomes fit into the very expensive catagory:) ,ive seen it fitted to everything from a ford KA to a bugatty Veron , the best paintjob that you will ever have on your vehicle is the one that it gets on the production line , i owned and ran a bodyshop before selling the bodyshop;):)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think that a few motorhomes fit into the very expensive catagory:) ,ive seen it fitted to everything from a ford KA to a bugatty Veron , the best paintjob that you will ever have on your vehicle is the one that it gets on the production line , i owned and ran a bodyshop before selling the bodyshop;):)
I'm talking about £100k plus where the whole car is protected with the film - some motorhomes are expensive but the bit that would be usally 'protected' would be a very small part, ie just the cab in most cases due to the uneconomic cost of doing it all (as you cite), so the vast majority of the vehicle would be unprotected.

Reading some of the reviews on the PS site there are several comments from owners, who have only had the front of their vehicles covered, that it isn't so easy to keep the rest of the vehicle so 'polished' in order to match the protected bit, for a MH this may not be such an issue but then again it depends on how 'fussy' the owner is ... if the front is gleaming but the rest is 'duller' it could actually look worse than not having the film in the first place.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
OK to have a film on the front of a PVC or a choachbuilot as they are mostly steel but an A class with lots of flexible GRP might end up looking worse than tone chips

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Flipping spell checker, that should have been coach built and stone chips . Sorry

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Paintshield as a company was born as a result of the excessive stone chips on cars with GRP body kits and front ends, in the very beginning it was used mainly on TVR,s Lotuses etc

Upvote 0

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I've been valeting for 20 years now, and have tried the likes of Supaguard, Diamondbrite, and the current one we use, "Williams paint protection kit".
"ceramic paint protection is the same as used by Williams F1"

In my view like has been said, in the trade the kits retail around the £30 to the dealers, who then charge the £300-350 for the end customer.

Then its down to the person in question who applies it properly. I've known some places not even apply the stuff - very naughty.

What a lot of people don't realise, is these kits tend to say in the small print that you must use a neutral PH balanced shampoo to clean your vehicle after the kit has been applied, and not to get the poles to wash it down for a fiver with their caustic TFR detergents, as it breaks the coating down.

For the scotch guard side of things, most use aerosols, which dry quickly, (you could buy a can of shoe protector for a couple of quid to do the same job). On the Williams kit, we're using, its a spray liquid which takes overnight to fully dry. My reservation about scotch guards is wouldn't the constant jumping in and out of the seat cause it to wear off anyway?

I'm currently using the Williams protection on my Ford Galaxy, the paintwork feels like glass as i prepped it first with a clay bar impregnated microfibre duster and I have also applied it to the motor home too last year. its held up well, but I'll be re-applying it again soon to top it up.

No paint kit will prevent stone chips, but the other product i think has been mentioned sounds a bit like having a "paint wrap" a bit like how they put the vinyl on vans - although i have no experience of this so couldn't say.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back