Oyster Mobile Satellite (iPcopter) & ITV/BBC/40D/5Demand iPlayer etc???! (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Never said you did, what I said was that if you watch the BBC from overseas via a proxy server then you should pay.
If we all owned a tv and only watched the BBC via iplayer then the BBC would cease to be.

Much as I detest the BBC, I dislike its availability to those not in the UK who watch it for free and take active steps to do so.

As far as I am concerned scrap all BBC funding and lets all have a free for all, watch how quickly pay TV will spread even more and we shall end up with even more crap.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Never said you did...

My mistake...when you quoted me as saying this:

Not strictly true...

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device then you don't need a TV licence.

So if you own a TV (or other device) and only use it as:
A computer monitor
A screen for a computer game
A screen to watch tv services such as iplayer, 4OD etc.

You can opt out of needing a TV licence.

and answered with:

So how would the iplayer be funded then?

I for some reason incorrectly assumed you were asking a question in relation to the post you quoted.

As I said, my mistake for taking your post at face value :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have absolutely no idea how but the Studio here in Portugal has satellite dishes connected to various boxes and then on to a host of tv's throughout the facility...

Some of them receive BBC 1 and 2 and ITV 1,2,3 and 4.

I am pretty certain the management don't pay a licence fee and I am even more certain that they are not doing anything illegal here in Portugal... this company wouldn't risk it.

Hope this doesn't make you too cross Dave.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not strictly true...

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device then you don't need a TV licence.

So if you own a TV (or other device) and only use it as:
A computer monitor
A screen for a computer game
A screen to watch tv services such as iplayer, 4OD etc.

You can opt out of needing a TV licence.

I don't think that is quite true. If you have any device "capable" of receiving a tv broadcast you have to pay the license fee. We used to call it a tuner tax. If you have a tuner you have to pay the tax even if you just use the tv for a games console. Not sure how they would enforce that....

I stand corrected. Just read the link on a follow up post. thanks I stand corrected :thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't think that is quite true. If you have any device "capable" of receiving a tv broadcast you have to pay the license fee. We used to call it a tuner tax. If you have a tuner you have to pay the tax even if you just use the tv for a games console. Not sure how they would enforce that....

From Techno's link

Is a TV Licence required to own a television set?

You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV then you need a TV Licence in order to do so.
Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 sets out the requirement for a TV Licence. Section 363 makes it an offence to
install or use a television receiver or possess or have control of a television receiver with the intent to install or use it or
possess or have control of a television receiver and know or have reasonable grounds for believing that another person intends to install or use it without a valid TV Licence issued under the Communications Act.

If you own or possess a television set without installing or using it as a TV receiver (e.g. you only use it to watch videos or DVDs, or as a monitor for a games console) then you don’t need a TV Licence.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From Techno's link

Is a TV Licence required to own a television set?
You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch programmes as they are being shown on TV then you need a TV Licence in order to do so.
Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 sets out the requirement for a TV Licence. Section 363 makes it an offence to
install or use a television receiver or
possess or have control of a television receiver with the intent to install or use it or
possess or have control of a television receiver and know or have reasonable grounds for believing that another person intends to install or use it
without a valid TV Licence issued under the Communications Act.
If you own or possess a television set without installing or using it as a TV receiver (e.g. you only use it to watch videos or DVDs, or as a monitor for a games console) then you don’t need a TV Licence.

I updated my post as you were posting:thumb:

My understanding was out of date.... There was if I recall correct a case many years ago when a guy had a computer monitor linked up to a VHS recorder used to play films only.. He got taken to court because he had a TV tuner in the VHS recorder...

I don't mind being wrong if I learn something new:thumb:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I updated my post as you were posting:thumb:

My understanding was out of date.... There was if I recall correct a case many years ago when a guy had a computer monitor linked up to a VHS recorder used to play films only.. He got taken to court because he had a TV tuner in the VHS recorder...

I don't mind being wrong if I learn something new:thumb:::bigsmile:

That was also my understanding until I read the link .... :roflmto:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for the link ,,, my understanding is now updated and clear as to need for TV licence thanks:Blush:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Sorry - I should have included a link when I posted that TV licences are not needed just because you own a TV set...

Here is a link telling you how to 'opt out' as it were...

Broken Link Removed

HTH ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies plus the interesting debate that happened as a result of my enquiry!

I have now been in contact with Bernhard Neumeyer at iPcopter to ask if there is a solution to my problem for when we are back home in the UK and I received a reply saying he had forwarded my request for a UK IP adresses to the network operator (Astra2Connect.) Bernhard said he will contact me again when he has received an answer from them.

I will keep you informed of the situation.

Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back