Overwintering in Morocco.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Snowbird, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have been thinking about overwintering in Spain this year and then over to Morocco. But having given it more than a little thought over the last few days have decided to head straight for Morocco instead of touring Spain.
    Hoping to be out there sometime at the beginning of January, returning end of April when the weather is getting warmer there. In the past have usually left the UK end of September and stuck it out in Spain till the New year,then headed off to Agadir for the colder months,but because of hospital appointments etc its been later before I could go. The bus is almost ready,all I now need is to make sure my body is up to the trip.:Doh:
    My main man RR hopefully will be accompanying me on this trip, so should be interesting,as he wont have any TV for sometime:cry:. We will try to give some details as we go along,photos etc, but it will depend on Moroccan Internet cafes. Am really getting excited about this trip now as its been 2 years since I was away long term. Will keep you all posted nearer the time of departure.

• Like Like x 10
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Might I suggest you paint large red crosses on your vehicle. It will help the one still concious to drive at high speed to the nearest hospital.

Good plan though provided half of Germany are not taking up all the pitches.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Glyn and Debbie

Glyn and Debbie Funster

Hi snowbird, we haven't met as yet but can I ask you a question, how do you go on for insurance for morocco?, is it in your existing policy ?, do you pay extra and if so who insures you. Sorry if you think I am being a bit nosey, but have thought about a trip there myself but I thought I might have a problem with the insurance.

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I am with Saga insurance and they are issuing me with a green card.........

Well Snowy was never expecting this but what a great idea...........:BigGrin:

Got to get my skates on to get new van ready..............:wooo::wooo::wooo:

5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sounds fun:thumb:

Good on you both.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Road Runner

Cant get my head round it yet...........:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Chance in a lifetime. Go for it:thumb:

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi dave and john . if you get chance and go south call in to tarfaya there is a museum about the french air mail . and the bloke on franki.s signature is the man. its very interesting .its the last stop before he flew planes across to america. well worth a visit . if its closed ask around they opened it for us .
    hopefully i have atached pics of the doorway and the monument to him. there is also an island just off shore it was a british off shore trading post. worth the visit.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Wow! That's awesome. Can I come too :Laughing:

Have a wonderful time, and do keep us all posted on how the trip goes as it is definitely one I would like to do some time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

I presume you have not had the good fortune to visit a Moroccan hospital Brian.

I only went into one once and immediately made my mind up never to visit one again. Am sure you would have a better chance of survival with a vet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hilldweller

This is true.

But seriously, I don't know your medical state ( you mention hospital appointments) but we all know John's a bit so I hope you sort out some good medical insurance and/or have good contingency plans. Ray does Essouria to Cuete in one big hit but that's still about 24 hours to a European hospital. If local medical support is that bad you have to be thinking that first hint of trouble run for home.

Always have a plan.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snowbird

We both have ADAC support re, breakdown and recovery with travel insurance.

The private clinics in Morocco are very good,but of coarse you need medical cover.I wouldn't want to go to a normal hospital out there. A friend was bitten by a dog a few years ago and I took them to the hospital in Agadir for stitching and injections. The place was a huge new modern building on the outside but when entering the doors it looked like some sort of field hospital from the Crimea. The private clinics are top notch though,so I wouldn't have any problem taking RR there to have any other bits removed if necessary.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Road Runner

Oi...............:Cool:

Thank you Brian for your concerns and noted............:thumb:

14. hilldweller

Take a felt tip marker, with language problems it might be a good idea to mark any bits requiring removal.

-------CUT HERE-------

-------Coupe Ici--------

------وحة المفاتيح العربية-----

• Like Like x 3
  15. christine1310

christine1310 Read Only Funster

Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but we are thinking of going to Morocco this February for the first time. What are the campsites like down by Agadir, do you stay on campsites or wild camp? Is the weather usually good in winter?

Thanks - Christine

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snowbird

Hi, Average weather is around mid 20s. I personally don't use many campsites but many do. I was one of the first to try the new campsite North of Agadir Atlantica Park, but found it to crowded for my liking. Many do like it and sit there all winter. It is of European standard and very good if you like that sort of thing, but the prices are creeping up now. Its still possible to wild camp in Morocco just as its still possible to wild camp in Spain,its just that the options are not as great as they used to be. There have been stories of price rises in Morocco recently and of course they are true but prices rise all over the world,nothing stays still for ever. Having said that its just about the cheapest place you can drive to for guaranteed winter sun. The diversity of the countryside has to be seen to be believed. Once you have the smell of Africa up your nose you will always return.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snowbird

Here's an update for those interested. Ferry booked with DFDS into Dunkirk at £45 one way. RR has chosen another ferry as hes worried they will not allow me into France after my last fiasco and does not want to take the risk of being arrested with me:RollEyes:.
    On a more serious note have been in touch with Juan Carlos Gutierrez in Algeciras regarding the ferry to Tangier and the prices he is quoting are very good,in fact on a par with what they were 3 years ago.
    The master plan is to take a steady meander down through France and Spain sticking to the N roads as much as possible and because both RR and myself have Jewish blood we will be avoiding any tolls after Dartford. It will be interesting to see how we go on without the tolls all the way down to Agadir.
    If anyone would like to tag along please feel free, (doctors,nurses,mechanics,carers,anyone that can read a map) would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Dave sounds as if you have a good plan coming together, when are you booked on for, would be good if you could put your eventual route on, as someone with your experience it would be helpful to those who want to do it but not quite sure about it. I am sure you will have a great time. A blog would be good to follow.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Snowbird

Hi Carol, Thanks for the interest. Will try to find out how to do a blog. Am not so good at those things. Will do my best to set one up in the next few days. Am going out on 28 Dec and meeting up with RR somewhere south of Calais later in the week. From there we will travel via Paris,Bordeaux,Bayonne to the border at Irun. We will be using the old convoi exceptionel route as much as possible, which is the wide load route through France. I hasten to add that its not because RR and myself are a wide load:Wink: but because wide loads are not allowed on French motorways, as they cant get through the paiage. We cant get through them as we wont spend any money.:BigGrin:
    From Irun via Burgos,Valladolid,Salamanca,Caceres,Sevill, then the boat from Algeciras to Tangier. Am using Tangier this time as there is nothing to be gained from going into Cueta as the fuel is cheaper in Morocco now than it is in the enclave. Have had to cancel my insurance with AF this morning as they refused me a green card and have re-insured with Saga. A green card is a must for Morocco. You can buy insurance in Tangier but I think its only 3rd party cover, so would not recommend it.
    Hoping to take about a week to 10 days down to Algeciras as am in no hurry, unless the weather is poor on route. If so we will evaluate and see what happens.
    Am still planning a route down through Morocco and will post when complete Am
    thinking along the lines of traveling down the west coast to Agadir then inland and then north through Marakesh on the way home. Will give you a more detailed account when have finished planning.

• Like Like x 4
  20. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I agree with Carol. A blog would be a pleasure to follow. You can do it by clicking on the blog link on the top menu. It's easy :)

I'd love to do what you are doing one day, and so it would be nice to follow you on route to see what fun you have, prices you pay, routes you take, etc.

Looking forward to the updates Snowbird.

• Like Like x 3