Our New Zealand trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by richr, Mar 19, 2016.

1. richr

richr Funster

Thought i would start a new thread as my old one asking loads of questions etc is well buried by now.

I will just put snippets of info in and the odd picture to add flavour.

We arrived in Auckland and was collected from the airport by the local MH depot.
    Signed the paperwork paid the money and had around 20 minutes instruction. Gulp, never been MH before so in at the deep end :)
    Size of vehicle isn't a problem just the what does this bit but hey ho we will figure it out.
    Headed North and had 2 nights at Orewa campsite all the facilities you need and a good first stop off point.

Point to note if you go just past the campsite on your right there is a carpark you can wild camp in overlooking the sea.

From Orewa we have gone North and at a wild camp area owned by NZMCA (we are members) called Manganese Point will be here for two nights then heading North again.

Ohh and thats Elmer waiting for the off :) IMG_1484.jpg IMG_1509.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

I love New Zealand spent three months there in a campervan about fourteen years ago. Have a great trip. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kiwi Brit

Kiwi Brit Funster

Hope you enjoy our beautiful country. We have arrived back to live in NZ after nearly ten years in the UK. We loved our time there, 8 1/2 years spent cruising the amazing canals, then purchased a new motorhome which is now sitting in our drive in NZ. Haven't had time to trip around in 'Sid' since our return one month ago. But looking forward to being on the move again shortly.
    Have a great trip.

• Like Like x 3
  4. maison

maison Funster

@richr
    Will follow your journey with real interest as NZ is one of our possible ideas for our 50th Wedding Anniversary in three years time.

How did your journey out there go?

Did you stop off on route?

Have a great trip, anyway.(y)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

My youngest daughter is in NZ and sending stunning photos back. Mirror lake is a spectacular place. You will have wonderful trips please keep us up to date with photos when on your travels.

She has been bitten by sandflys and had a reaction to them but didn't want to worry us!!!:( As if...!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Have a lovely trip , it looks a stunning place love to see your blog!

7. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

I had the pleasure of visiting NZ for 3 weeks way back in 1981, touring north island in a battered old Mini . . :) - loved the place, especially the Bay of Islands.

Have a great time & enjoy ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. glastry

glastry Funster

Apart from the obvious,spray exposed skin with bug repellent,we have found (after 3 months), that germoline seems to ease the itch.!!!!
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Interesting to read this. We are going this time next year for about 4 weeks but the last thing that we are doing is hiring a motorhome! Instead, fly to Auckland, spend a few days there and then fly down south to Queenstown, rent a car from Apex (much cheaper one way south to north) and then take our time heading north.....

10. Kiwi Brit

Kiwi Brit Funster

Just wish we could get germaline in NZ. Will get our son in London to send some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kiwi Brit

Kiwi Brit Funster

So sorry about the sand flys they can be really annoying particularly around Lake Te Anau. Very seasonal.
    We have been having amazing weather.
    Glad your daughter is enjoying herself

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. richr

richr Funster

Hi all
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    I only have my phone for an update so will keep it brief and leave the pics until I can charge the mac up.
    We headed North visiting the shore line here and there and ended up at Rainbow falls, another NZMCA site. You can only dump rubbish here but for 6 dollars a night I can live with that.
    Off fairly early in the morning we made our way up to Cape Reinga. Did the obligatory Japanese tourist pictures etc. Then back track to a DOC campsite with toilets and cold showers for 12 dollars the night. This site was at Spirits Bay and at the end of a non paved road for 18 km
    This morning we came back down Highway 1 and stopped at the Glow worm caves at Kawiti.
    Back onto HW 1 North to join HW 12 to loop us onto West Coast and a small camp site at Koutu Rd by Tauroa Point.
    It's a bit blustery but hey ho .

Bye for now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. richr

richr Funster

Out of interest what is the cost per day for car hire and your hotel or b and b.

14. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

we have been here since November but heading back tomorrow :(
    if you join the NZMC you can download the Rankers app that covers pretty much all the campsites across both islands, there are many free sites and loads of low costs ones with reviews so you can make a sensible choice, except for the sandflys it's been the best. holiday we have ever had bar none!
    we stopped in Hong Kong on the way out for a few days and heading to Hawaii tomorrow for a week, we are hoping the UK weather will warm up a bit before April:)

• Like Like x 5
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Haven't costed the hotels yet, but the car hire is probably about NZ$60 per day based on a recent used car (from memory)

16. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Saw this online, in case your daughter isn't keen on chemical bug repellent http://www.goodbyesandfly.co.nz

Any soothing antiseptic cream will help with bites already inflicted. Or a mild otc hydro cortisone cream.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Thank you Hollyberry. Kate did use repellant but they still got her! She has got some cream from a chemist and hopefully that will help. Thanks for advice! She is loving NZ and sends some stunning photos!

18. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Thanks for the Blog will read with interest, it is the only country I have ever visited where I could easily settle; Loved it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

Spent four months there in 1986 with the Army on Ex LONGLOOK (exchange trip) and loved it, was very tempted to transfer to the NZ Army which was very possible at the time but we eventually decided against it (don't ask). Was based on the South Island near Christchurch (Burnham Camp if I remember rightly) but did spend time on the North Island (the smell of Rotarua will stay with me forever!).

Will definetly go back one day and love the idea of touring in a motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  20. richr

richr Funster

So here we are at Matakohe Holiday Park.
    Ohh hot showers proper toilets and kitchen facilities, this is the life. All for 36 NZD if you are in the NZMCA.

We traveled on down the West coast making a stop at 90 mile beach and Glow worm Caves Kawiti.
    Further on down today to the lakes at Kai Iwi then to our stop over as above.

I will post a couple of pics to give you the general feel. As you will appreciate this is not an in depth post just a general idea of what we are doing. IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1541.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

• Like Like x 4