LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thought i would start a new thread as my old one asking loads of questions etc is well buried by now.

I will just put snippets of info in and the odd picture to add flavour.

We arrived in Auckland and was collected from the airport by the local MH depot.
Signed the paperwork paid the money and had around 20 minutes instruction. Gulp, never been MH before so in at the deep end :)
Size of vehicle isn't a problem just the what does this bit but hey ho we will figure it out.
Headed North and had 2 nights at Orewa campsite all the facilities you need and a good first stop off point.

Point to note if you go just past the campsite on your right there is a carpark you can wild camp in overlooking the sea.

From Orewa we have gone North and at a wild camp area owned by NZMCA (we are members) called Manganese Point will be here for two nights then heading North again.

Ohh and thats Elmer waiting for the off :)
IMG_1484.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I love New Zealand spent three months there in a campervan about fourteen years ago. Have a great trip. (y)

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
Hope you enjoy our beautiful country. We have arrived back to live in NZ after nearly ten years in the UK. We loved our time there, 8 1/2 years spent cruising the amazing canals, then purchased a new motorhome which is now sitting in our drive in NZ. Haven't had time to trip around in 'Sid' since our return one month ago. But looking forward to being on the move again shortly.
Have a great trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@richr
Will follow your journey with real interest as NZ is one of our possible ideas for our 50th Wedding Anniversary in three years time.

How did your journey out there go?

Did you stop off on route?

Have a great trip, anyway.(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope you enjoy our beautiful country. We have arrived back to live in NZ after nearly ten years in the UK. We loved our time there, 8 1/2 years spent cruising the amazing canals, then purchased a new motorhome which is now sitting in our drive in NZ. Haven't had time to trip around in 'Sid' since our return one month ago. But looking forward to being on the move again shortly.
Have a great trip.
My youngest daughter is in NZ and sending stunning photos back. Mirror lake is a spectacular place. You will have wonderful trips please keep us up to date with photos when on your travels.

She has been bitten by sandflys and had a reaction to them but didn't want to worry us!!!:( As if...!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thought i would start a new thread as my old one asking loads of questions etc is well buried by now.

I will just put snippets of info in and the odd picture to add flavour.

We arrived in Auckland and was collected from the airport by the local MH depot.
Signed the paperwork paid the money and had around 20 minutes instruction. Gulp, never been MH before so in at the deep end :)
Size of vehicle isn't a problem just the what does this bit but hey ho we will figure it out.
Headed North and had 2 nights at Orewa campsite all the facilities you need and a good first stop off point.

Point to note if you go just past the campsite on your right there is a carpark you can wild camp in overlooking the sea.

From Orewa we have gone North and at a wild camp area owned by NZMCA (we are members) called Manganese Point will be here for two nights then heading North again.

Ohh and thats Elmer waiting for the off :)View attachment 97555 View attachment 97556
Have a lovely trip , it looks a stunning place love to see your blog!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I had the pleasure of visiting NZ for 3 weeks way back in 1981, touring north island in a battered old Mini . . :) - loved the place, especially the Bay of Islands.

Have a great time & enjoy ! :)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
My youngest daughter is in NZ and sending stunning photos back. Mirror lake is a spectacular place. You will have wonderful trips please keep us up to date with photos when on your travels.

She has been bitten by sandflys and had a reaction to them but didn't want to worry us!!!:( As if...!

Apart from the obvious,spray exposed skin with bug repellent,we have found (after 3 months), that germoline seems to ease the itch.!!!!
Good luck

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting to read this. We are going this time next year for about 4 weeks but the last thing that we are doing is hiring a motorhome! Instead, fly to Auckland, spend a few days there and then fly down south to Queenstown, rent a car from Apex (much cheaper one way south to north) and then take our time heading north.....

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie

So sorry about the sand flys they can be really annoying particularly around Lake Te Anau. Very seasonal.
We have been having amazing weather.
Glad your daughter is enjoying herself

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi all
Thanks for the good wishes.
I only have my phone for an update so will keep it brief and leave the pics until I can charge the mac up.
We headed North visiting the shore line here and there and ended up at Rainbow falls, another NZMCA site. You can only dump rubbish here but for 6 dollars a night I can live with that.
Off fairly early in the morning we made our way up to Cape Reinga. Did the obligatory Japanese tourist pictures etc. Then back track to a DOC campsite with toilets and cold showers for 12 dollars the night. This site was at Spirits Bay and at the end of a non paved road for 18 km
This morning we came back down Highway 1 and stopped at the Glow worm caves at Kawiti.
Back onto HW 1 North to join HW 12 to loop us onto West Coast and a small camp site at Koutu Rd by Tauroa Point.
It's a bit blustery but hey ho .

Bye for now.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Interesting to hotel or b snbs. We are going this time next year for about 4 weeks but the last thing that we are doing is hiring a motorhome! Instead, fly to Auckland, spend a few days there and then fly down south to Queenstown, rent a car from Apex (much cheaper one way south to north) and then take our time heading north.....
Out of interest what is the cost per day for car hire and your hotel or b and b.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
we have been here since November but heading back tomorrow :(
if you join the NZMC you can download the Rankers app that covers pretty much all the campsites across both islands, there are many free sites and loads of low costs ones with reviews so you can make a sensible choice, except for the sandflys it's been the best. holiday we have ever had bar none!
we stopped in Hong Kong on the way out for a few days and heading to Hawaii tomorrow for a week, we are hoping the UK weather will warm up a bit before April:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Out of interest what is the cost per day for car hire and your hotel or b and b.
Haven't costed the hotels yet, but the car hire is probably about NZ$60 per day based on a recent used car (from memory)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Saw this online, in case your daughter isn't keen on chemical bug repellent http://www.goodbyesandfly.co.nz

Any soothing antiseptic cream will help with bites already inflicted. Or a mild otc hydro cortisone cream.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Hollyberry. Kate did use repellant but they still got her! She has got some cream from a chemist and hopefully that will help. Thanks for advice! She is loving NZ and sends some stunning photos!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thanks for the Blog will read with interest, it is the only country I have ever visited where I could easily settle; Loved it.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Spent four months there in 1986 with the Army on Ex LONGLOOK (exchange trip) and loved it, was very tempted to transfer to the NZ Army which was very possible at the time but we eventually decided against it (don't ask). Was based on the South Island near Christchurch (Burnham Camp if I remember rightly) but did spend time on the North Island (the smell of Rotarua will stay with me forever!).

Will definetly go back one day and love the idea of touring in a motorhome.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So here we are at Matakohe Holiday Park.
Ohh hot showers proper toilets and kitchen facilities, this is the life. All for 36 NZD if you are in the NZMCA.

We traveled on down the West coast making a stop at 90 mile beach and Glow worm Caves Kawiti.
Further on down today to the lakes at Kai Iwi then to our stop over as above.

I will post a couple of pics to give you the general feel. As you will appreciate this is not an in depth post just a general idea of what we are doing.
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Back again

We made our way across to Coromandel and up to Colville.
Stayed on a paid camp at 20 nzd it was a bit quaint but had hot showers etc. If you like the high life this one isn't for you :)

Next we back tracked to Coromandel and hooked up with hw25 and ended up at a top 10 site at Hot Water Beach. This has been our most expensive site at 100 nzd for two nights with ehu.
Ohh but what nice showers, kitchen, toilets etc etc :D

Looking to drive up to Hahei tomorrow and walk down to the Cathedral Cove.
Apparently you can get on a park and ride I presume from Hahei, will find that out tomoz.

My internet connection is pants here so will load a few pics when we get back south of Auckland at Takanini to collect our NZMCA membership. Then down hw1 to Rotorua

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi all

We left the top 10 park early and got one of the few remaining parking spots above Cathedral Cove, I do love Mho's just start up and go.

Had breakfast then walked down to the beach, well with a visit.
There are a few over night spots at the top in the car park just chance your arm on getting one pot luck I think.

We have now made our way to just outside Takanini where the NZMCA office is to collect our membership on Tuesday.Tonight we are staying on a cheap NZMCA site at six nzd total. This is on the edge of an airfield and say and old biplane fly around and an old jet fighter that looked like a gloster but not sure.
You have to be self contained here but there is a rubbish dump and clean water with a dump site just up the road. Motorhomeing is easy here :)

Then off to the Bay of Plenty to hopefully see a few dolphins :)

IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Did you dig yourself a hot pool in the sand at hot water beach.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Did you dig yourself a hot pool in the sand at hot water beach.
We certainly did

Cost me 5 nzd for the privilege as well, had to hire a spade as I left my plastic one in blighty :)

Puddle

There seems to be a lot of Germans out here cycling :eek:
Not something I would want to do its all up hill and down dale. Bad enough having to change gear in the old bus :)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well we went into Taranga with the intention of doing a trip swimming with Dolphins.
SWMBO wasn't overly happy with the set up as no office and all done over the phone, so we headed off down the cost and present at Matata ( as in Hakuna :D ) at a DoC camp.

Tomorrow we will be at Rotorua.

Booked the ferry to Picton for next month so working to a deadline now :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Nice campsite in Rotorua, think it's called cozy cottage, the pitches for the tents are heated because it's a thermal area so even in the winter you get folks camping there. The area prongs a bit though.

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
Well we went into Taranga with the intention of doing a trip swimming with Dolphins.
SWMBO wasn't overly happy with the set up as no office and all done over the phone, so we headed off down the cost and present at Matata ( as in Hakuna :D ) at a DoC camp.

Tomorrow we will be at Rotorua.

Booked the ferry to Picton for next month so working to a deadline now :)
If you are coming south. Kaikoura has excellent whale watching and you would most likely see some dolphins, lots of seals.
The Whale watching is very popular so you would have to book ahead. We live in Marlborough so make sure you make time to sample our fabulous wines. If you want to contact us pm

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Loving this thread, something we hope to do in 3/4 years, def in a motorhome, please keep the pictures and updates coming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back