options on very small pvc's - can I pick your brains please (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
if you have an underslung gas tank i would defiitly fit a barby point canisters are an expensive way to buy gas that your all ready carrying

£1 a canister for these, last for ages too:

Use them with this:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the internal blinds for a ducato are useless for insulation properties if your only out in the summer fine but for anywhere cold you need external screen covers but the blinds are great for keeping the van private and dark at night
when i fitted mine i was dreading it once i started they were on in under two hours how much is your converter charging for them?
a pop up awning can be tied on to a bike rack if you have one

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's nothing to stop you having a roof rack with a top box/tube of some sort for larger items such as a stand alone awning, would be better IMV than having an expensive tow bar which could stop access to the rear doors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am considering a Vauxhall Vivaro, that is small ;)
what length/ width is that then?
I think she's talking about the caravanstore type awnings which are a lot cheaper:
http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/fiamma/caravanstore.htm
Ah, gottit, thanks.
how much is your converter charging for them?
Vastly too much I expect! :D2
tow bar which could stop access to the rear doors
good point, thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you plan on going to Europe I would recommend you get a wind out awning. The reason is it will give you shade which can make a huge difference when it is hot and sunny.
I agree delaying fitting a towbar would be wise. If you need more storage space then fit one and you can then fit a rack thingy and mount a box on it. This will allow you to carry for example a spare loo cassette which will extend your "stamina" off grid.
For solar, you can't have too much. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We take a small 2 portion George Forman grill
Broken Link Removed
£16.99 from Argos. 700 watt
Use for outside meat cooking outside when on EHU. Just for my husband as I am vegetarian. He doesn't eat much meat so not worth lighting up a barbecue.

On our current van we have an underslung gas tank and an external BBQ point but no space to carry anything to attach to it!

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The towball on my PVC doesn't foul the rear doors at all Wendy. However my bike rack does, and this is something I need to be aware of as my toilet cassette is accessed via the rear doors.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
given the modern need to be connected to technology nearly 24/7 with phones, tablets, laptops and tv's, more battery capacity and more solar are essential.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
For solar, you can't have too much. :)
Beginner question here: with more solar, I assume you need more battery capacity?
not worth lighting up a barbecue
shan't be having a barbie
my toilet cassette is accessed via the rear doors
mine too
given the modern need to be connected to technology nearly 24/7 with phones, tablets, laptops and tv's
I'm lucky, I just don't have that need!!! (except when I need my FUN fix or help & advice from you lovely lot (y) )

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Beginner question here: with more solar, I assume you need more battery capacity?
No, I was meaning panels. On a 5m Ducato there must be room for more than an 80W panel, which is a bit mean by current standards. It isn't just the panel of course, but the controller needs to match but if you can get them to fit 120W+ I don't think you will regret it.
A second battery will keep you going for longer of course and storage must be very tight if the space taken up by a battery is so critical. :)
With enough solar panel capacity you have the opportunity to last more or less indefinitely off grid. :)

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi CWH

My views on your questions are as follows

Q - should I replace the oven with a microwave or with drawers??? Definitely drawers for additional storage and save the weight of the microwave. If your off grid or on a continental site you will probably not have sufficient power to run a microwave. Continental EHU's are quite often 3A, 6A or 10A, very rarely 16A like here

What about an external gas point - I'm thinking on the lines of keeping cooking smells out of the tiny van - I suppose that would mean taking an extra bit of kit for cooking on too.
Q - are they much used? - what's the smallest 'accessory' I could get, to use outside? (I guess I only need a single ring.)
For approx. 35 years up until last year we have had VW vans (T2, T3 & T4) and have always cooked in the van. Even in our new Carthago Malibu we cook inside. We always have the window or door open when cooking and have never had any problem with cooking smells. If you want to cook outside, you could use a small BBQ or a separate one ring gas burner with disposable canisters. This can be moved to wherever around the van and out of the wind

FRIDGE: 50 litre fridge/freezer Three way Dometic or Thetford absorption (ie gas, mains electric or 12v) or 12v Waeco compressor? I prefer the 3 way fridge for its flexibility and have used these for about 30 years. When off grid, they run well on gas The 12v Waeco fridge's require a constant power supply, of either EHU or solar to keep the batteries topped up

WATER: I'm seriously considering having a NaturePure system fitted - this will save on carrying an extra jerrycan in places where the water might be a bit iffy. I know a lot of people will drink whatever comes and I have in the past, but I fear water quality is deteriorating in many areas.
Q - thoughts on cost/benefit?
I can understand the reasons, for us the only water that is drunk is either boiled or is bottled

ENERGY: 100 Ahr leisure battery. I've ordered the converter's 'standard' solar panel which is 80W.
Q - do you think this will be enough? There's the option of a 2nd leisure battery but this would take quite a bit of valuable storage space. There's also be mention of a possible EFOY - I don't know what this is - any help here please?
If you are going to be a light user of power and move frequently, your proposal above will probably be ok. If you have a Waeco fridge and stay in one place for a few days, the battery and solar panel may not be big enough. With regards to EFOY, have a look here. You would need to have the unit installed and carry methanol for it around. They are quite expensive and take a fair bit of room.

AWNING: I'm thinking this would be little used especially when I'm on my own. So rather than have the canopy, get some sort of a driveaway/ pop-up tent/ gazebo once I've been out a few times & know what sort of use I'd make of it.
Q - what sort of space/ weight would I need to allow for this?
I used driveaway awnings for about 35 years with the VW's if we were staying more than a couple of days on a site, especially when our girls were young. These could be bulky and heavy (although the more modern ones are much lighter), but they will eat into your storage space. They can be put up by one person (I did it a number of times, but it is so much easier with 2, especially if a wind has sprung up). They do have the advantage of reserving your pitch when your out for the day. When our girls stopped coming with us, we used to use a simple canopy attached to an awning rail on the van and 2 upright poles to provide some shade. This packed up very small. For our Malibu, we opted for an Ommnistor canopy and have got the Parratsol sides and front if we want an enclosed space. These fit to the canopy very quickly and fold up fairly small

CAMERA: comes with a factory-fitted reversing camera.
Q - thoughts on replacing it with a dual reversing + rear-view camera please?
I have a dual lens camera on my current van (Carthago Malibu) and love it. When in reverse I can see fairly close to the back, and when driving along, it gives a good clear view of what's behind.

CAB BLINDS: I'll need something internal - if I'm off-grid I won't want outside blinds.
Q - remis and/or internal thermal?
I have had internal blinds, external blinds and on my Malibu, I have Remis blinds. I like the ease of use of the Remis, however the frame does slightly reduce the view from the side windows, and for me the frame on the front stops me using the sun visor as I can't push the visor far enough forward to see underneath it. I'm 5' 11" so this may not be a problem for you. External are fairly quick and easy to put on, reduce solar gain, keep the van warmer and the windscreen condensation free. If they get wet, they need somewhere to drip they dry. If off grid, they could be reversed and propped up inside the screen and held by the sun visors. Internal are ok but they leave sucker marks on the windscreen and there is quite often condensation on the screen even though there was ventilation in the van. There are pro's and cons for each of them

TOW BAR: thinking possibility of then taking more 'stuff' & maybe a larger tent when there's more than just me travelling. Won't be often & won't be for v long tours (absolute max 2 weeks)
Q - pros & cons?
I like a towbar on the back as it gives something solid to ward of little nudges. It is also very useful for towing a trailer as you have suggested for carrying more or heavier "stuff"

I hope this gives you something useful to think about

Cheers

Trevor

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm assuming the camper will actually be a 5.5m one as I wasn't aware the 5.0m one was available with a high top ... or is it?

Ref the fridge ... is it a 3-way or a purely electric? IF the latter you might need to do something to increase your solar and/or battery capacity anyway to be able to run it. Personally I'd always go for a 3-way but obviously depending on your van's layout it may/may not be possible.

Regarding heating/hot water, you might want to consider diesel alternatives as these would free up space inside the camper.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm assuming the camper will actually be a 5.5m one as I wasn't aware the 5.0m one was available with a high top ... or is it?

Ref the fridge ... is it a 3-way or a purely electric? IF the latter you might need to do something to increase your solar and/or battery capacity anyway to be able to run it. Personally I'd always go for a 3-way but obviously depending on your van's layout it may/may not be possible.

Regarding heating/hot water, you might want to consider diesel alternatives as these would free up space inside the camper.

Yes,,my high top Symbol is 5.1 metres,,good kitchen,shower and toilet,,two singles or large double and decent lounge. BUSBY:D:D

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
most ducato's have space under the seats,(driver/pas) which you can get an85a/hr battery in easily,

and deffo up your solar to at least 120w

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
what length/ width is that then?

Ah, gottit, thanks.

Vastly too much I expect! :D2

good point, thanks
Up to 5.3 meters long I think, not sure about width.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Video that might help as gives idea of size & useability

Blimey just had flash backs of @PenelopePitstop putting loads of these up, this must have this effect on many old members. :LOL:

We down sized from an a class to a 6 meter pvc, and when we are not here in Spain we are touring fulltime and love it, there are always sacrifices but convenient out weighs that the way we use it. :)
Half the year it's a car, we can park behind the apartment, and when touring we can go anywhere. (y)
We had to get rid of everything we thought we needed, and concentrate on what we need, ;) almost replaced it a few weeks ago, but on hold at the moment but it will be another 6 meter pvc.:cool: Bob

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi CWH

My views on your questions are as follows

Q - should I replace the oven with a microwave or with drawers??? Definitely drawers for additional storage and save the weight of the microwave. If your off grid or on a continental site you will probably not have sufficient power to run a microwave. Continental EHU's are quite often 3A, 6A or 10A, very rarely 16A like here

What about an external gas point - I'm thinking on the lines of keeping cooking smells out of the tiny van - I suppose that would mean taking an extra bit of kit for cooking on too.
Q - are they much used? - what's the smallest 'accessory' I could get, to use outside? (I guess I only need a single ring.)
For approx. 35 years up until last year we have had VW vans (T2, T3 & T4) and have always cooked in the van. Even in our new Carthago Malibu we cook inside. We always have the window or door open when cooking and have never had any problem with cooking smells. If you want to cook outside, you could use a small BBQ or a separate one ring gas burner with disposable canisters. This can be moved to wherever around the van and out of the wind

FRIDGE: 50 litre fridge/freezer Three way Dometic or Thetford absorption (ie gas, mains electric or 12v) or 12v Waeco compressor? I prefer the 3 way fridge for its flexibility and have used these for about 30 years. When off grid, they run well on gas The 12v Waeco fridge's require a constant power supply, of either EHU or solar to keep the batteries topped up

WATER: I'm seriously considering having a NaturePure system fitted - this will save on carrying an extra jerrycan in places where the water might be a bit iffy. I know a lot of people will drink whatever comes and I have in the past, but I fear water quality is deteriorating in many areas.
Q - thoughts on cost/benefit?
I can understand the reasons, for us the only water that is drunk is either boiled or is bottled

ENERGY: 100 Ahr leisure battery. I've ordered the converter's 'standard' solar panel which is 80W.
Q - do you think this will be enough? There's the option of a 2nd leisure battery but this would take quite a bit of valuable storage space. There's also be mention of a possible EFOY - I don't know what this is - any help here please?
If you are going to be a light user of power and move frequently, your proposal above will probably be ok. If you have a Waeco fridge and stay in one place for a few days, the battery and solar panel may not be big enough. With regards to EFOY, have a look here. You would need to have the unit installed and carry methanol for it around. They are quite expensive and take a fair bit of room.

AWNING: I'm thinking this would be little used especially when I'm on my own. So rather than have the canopy, get some sort of a driveaway/ pop-up tent/ gazebo once I've been out a few times & know what sort of use I'd make of it.
Q - what sort of space/ weight would I need to allow for this?
I used driveaway awnings for about 35 years with the VW's if we were staying more than a couple of days on a site, especially when our girls were young. These could be bulky and heavy (although the more modern ones are much lighter), but they will eat into your storage space. They can be put up by one person (I did it a number of times, but it is so much easier with 2, especially if a wind has sprung up). They do have the advantage of reserving your pitch when your out for the day. When our girls stopped coming with us, we used to use a simple canopy attached to an awning rail on the van and 2 upright poles to provide some shade. This packed up very small. For our Malibu, we opted for an Ommnistor canopy and have got the Parratsol sides and front if we want an enclosed space. These fit to the canopy very quickly and fold up fairly small

CAMERA: comes with a factory-fitted reversing camera.
Q - thoughts on replacing it with a dual reversing + rear-view camera please?
I have a dual lens camera on my current van (Carthago Malibu) and love it. When in reverse I can see fairly close to the back, and when driving along, it gives a good clear view of what's behind.

CAB BLINDS: I'll need something internal - if I'm off-grid I won't want outside blinds.
Q - remis and/or internal thermal?
I have had internal blinds, external blinds and on my Malibu, I have Remis blinds. I like the ease of use of the Remis, however the frame does slightly reduce the view from the side windows, and for me the frame on the front stops me using the sun visor as I can't push the visor far enough forward to see underneath it. I'm 5' 11" so this may not be a problem for you. External are fairly quick and easy to put on, reduce solar gain, keep the van warmer and the windscreen condensation free. If they get wet, they need somewhere to drip they dry. If off grid, they could be reversed and propped up inside the screen and held by the sun visors. Internal are ok but they leave sucker marks on the windscreen and there is quite often condensation on the screen even though there was ventilation in the van. There are pro's and cons for each of them

TOW BAR: thinking possibility of then taking more 'stuff' & maybe a larger tent when there's more than just me travelling. Won't be often & won't be for v long tours (absolute max 2 weeks)
Q - pros & cons?
I like a towbar on the back as it gives something solid to ward of little nudges. It is also very useful for towing a trailer as you have suggested for carrying more or heavier "stuff"

Cheers

Trevor
If you are wilding a lot I would certainly consider a second battery, also if your only leisure battery dies you have no back up! If you do get a second battery the solar panel is probably a bit underpowered. My view is you can never have enough leccy capacity :)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No, I was meaning panels.
yes I'd understood you meant panels John, but do the panels feed power to be stored in batteries? if so, do more panels need more battery capacity? (I know it has a 100 Ahr leisure battery but I don't have any understanding of what that means.) Or can you only use solar panel energy at the time that its being generated?
Very useful insights, thank you
In relation to PVCs, 6-6.5 metres is anything but small :D
oh OK
no it's 5m
Ref the fridge ... is it a 3-way or a purely electric?
I was sort-of assuming it was 3-way... maybe I'd best check!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
most ducato's have space under the seats,(driver/pas) which you can get an85a/hr battery in easily,

and deffo up your solar to at least 120w

We have 3 x 85 amp leisure batteries 50amp Stirling b 2 b, 2 x 100w flexible solar panels 600 watt stirling inverter and 2 11kg refillable gas bottles and I could go on. :eek: :whistle: Bob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the solar panels charge up the battery bank and can supply some power when the sun shines. basically think of the batteries as a "bucket" of energy, the bigger the bucket or the more buckets, the more energy you can use without relying on EHU

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Not really. They need to be matched so on a good day you have enough solar to top up yesterdays use. Strangely 100W of solar for 100Ah of battery seems a good match.

Now how much battery is the question and that is entirely down to your use.

I'd go for 100 + 100 as above and be prepared to double up if experience says you need to.

A variation though, if you stay in less sunny places then there is a case for 200W solar to 100Ah to double the solar you harvest.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
yes I'd understood you meant panels John, but do the panels feed power to be stored in batteries? if so, do more panels need more battery capacity? (I know it has a 100 Ahr leisure battery but I don't have any understanding of what that means.) Or can you only use solar panel energy at the time that its being generated?
As others have said, you don't have to match them. So an 80W panel doesn't need an 80 Amp hour (Ah) battery. You won't fry the batteries if you have more solar panel power, the regulator will take care of that. Obviously, more battery power is helpful and if you can fit a second battery and plan to do a lot of off grid camping you won't regret it. One advantage of a larger panel is it will give you at least a chance of putting some power back in the battery if you intend to use the van in the winter.
But you can always start the engine and go for a drive. :)

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If oven is standard then leave it there:
  • You might use it!
  • Unused, it can be used for storage.
  • Wider resale potential.
  • No to microwave, took mine out, surprisingly heavy!
Would forget about an external BBQ point:
  • Limits the type of outside cooking to a cadac unit or similar
  • Limits where you can use it - might be more convenient to cook at back, front, other side.
  • Cheap'n'cheerful canister gas ring (y)
  • Use the money saved...
Battery/solar - use the money saved to get bigger solar panel and/or second leisure battery.

Awning - file under pending. Can always be added later if your use justifies it - had one one old van, used it once always fretting about the wind and/or the sun was on the wrong side - so no awning on new van. If I need something I'll use an umbrella or get a quest pop up (cheaper & more flexible).
Bring it when you need it, save weight when you don't.

Towbar - agree. Adds flexibility, even if you don't have a use yet... Trailer, bike rack, storage box... caravan :cautious:.

Cab blinds - expensive but very convenient. I had a curtain and internal silver screens... A hassle & not very effective.

Twin view reversing camera - I liked mine, screen was on rear view mirror. So, I'd say yes as long as screen placement is appropriate & upgrade cost isn't too high.

Three way fridge - old tech but effective & efficient.

Nature Pure - not a fan. Tying yourself to a proprietary system. Its expensive, is it effective? Is/was/will be.
Prefer to put my drinking water in a portable container, or buy bottled - its pennies.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the other option is fit a b2b charger, which fast charges the leisure battery by running the engine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back