Not impressed Auto Trail

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by M1ke, Jun 1, 2016.

1. M1ke

M1ke Funster

I have just bought a brand new Autotrail Tracker FB with reversing camera. Never gave it a second thought that i wouldn't be able to use it as a rear view camera whilst on the move like I could with my Swift Kontiki, but alas no! It only works as a reversing camera with no other option. So now having spent over 50 grand on a motorhome I now have to somehow rig up another camera. Anyone got any suggestions or advice? I would really like a rear view mirror mounted monitor?

Whilst I'm griping I also discovered that there is no external power point to plug in a water pump to pump fresh water into the tank? I know i can use a hose but what happens when im all set up on a pitch and I want to put water in the tank and im miles away from the tap? Again if anyone has encountered this problem i would be interested to hear your views.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Camera only needs a wiring mod to a switched ignition live.. .. any auto spark can do this.

To fill from an Aquaroll, I use a submersible pump with a long enough lead to reach the ciggy socket in the cab..

if you prefer have a12v socket fitted.. I've never bothered as I rarely use the pump..

• Like Like x 3
  3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I had the same issue with my Autotrail Delaware (2015 Model), mine was worse as i was told by the dealer that they could reprogramme it to stay on, so i made the 4 hour trip only to be told when i got there that because it was the new model that they couldnt do it. After a bit of a lively discussion they eventually opted to fit another camera that could stay on at a reduced price. Not ideal but the only option for me at the time as i was going away in a few days so needed it sorted at i was towing and wanted to ensure i could see the load at all times.

I have already had them replace it once as it rusted within a few months, at present the replacement has been ok but i expect it will go the same way and now out of warranty for the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

What's wrong with a watering can? Holds two gallons, easy to stow, lightweight (when empty), and the exercise to the water tap is good for you ;).

• Like Like x 24
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Great idea but the camera wiring cannot be modified as it incorporates the tom tom sat nav, apparently, and in any case it is pointing to the ground to aid reversing.
    I have a sumersible pump but I would have thought that a 2016 model luxury motorhome would have had an external pump supply. It has external shower and external bbq point?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Jims quite right re the camera wiring mod very simple task
    Ive a new to me older 2006 Autotrail that has in the control panel an option to run, either or both internal and or external pumps.
    But have no sign of an external pump or electrical connections for one anywhere near the filler
    and wondered if there is an inbuilt external pump capable of sucking up from a barrel ???
    Not tried yet so dont know
    Why else the option to turn on an external pump?
    G

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

That assumption has to mean you can only Navigate when reversing:rofl:
    Im pretty sure the camera has its own power feed from the reversing lights or gearbox switch that simply need a permanent ignition controlled supply

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

maybe they are just telling you that in order to sell another camera.. ? .. :eek: call me Mr skeptical :LOL:

in any case, I would be looking to change it so the camera is live when the ignition is on.. no matter what 'they' say

• Like Like x 1
  9. M1ke

M1ke Funster

I picked up the motorhome yesterday and trust me i made a right fuss at Brownhills. I have been told in no uncertain terms that it is not possible on a 2016 display to have the camera on full time, and as i say, the camera is pointing to the ground.

10. rb62

rb62 Funster

Only two gripes and no actual faults,aren't you the lucky one (y)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  11. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Actually i have quite a few gripes :banghead:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
    Like i have to dismantle the bike rack to get to the spare wheel? That'll be interesting on a motorway on a cold wet night.::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Join and call the AA instead and let them do it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Dont think so with the correct bike rack, might have to take the bikes off though but that should have been obvious when you bought the van

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Mickx

Mickx Funster

Could the gripes have been mitigated by pre-purchase research? Or was the dealership mis-leading?

• Like Like x 3
  15. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

Understand your frustration but at least you did get a reversing camera fitted. We paid significantly more thn that and had to then get one fitted. Just get a dual camera fitted and it's problem sorted. Lifes too short dont let it ruin a golden moment driving your new pride and joy.....

16. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

My experience of Brownhills is Once they have your money they couldn't care a toss. I had to make 3 return visits For them to sort out a hab lighting fault which they blatantly said didn't exist until I got nasty.

• Like Like x 2
  17. M1ke

M1ke Funster

20160601_084610.jpg
    You decide.

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Although I am not a fan of UK vans your comments seem a bit petty and sounds like you should have researched what you were buying a bit better.
    Fairly normal to have the camera only on reversing unless you pay a fortune for a twin camera as an option.
    Don't see the problem with the water I assume your van has got wheels and an engine not hard to drive to the service point.:)

• Like Like x 12
  19. Speve

Speve Funster

@M1ke we used to have a tracker FB 2013 same problems I fitted a rear view camera at low level on number plate with a monitor that clipped on rear view mirror worked really well also fitted a whale electric pump socket in the under bed locker took a feed from around the boiler somewhere that worked well as the filler point not far from locker door we loved our Tracker although had lots of silly teething problems like doors falling off reason we changed it after 18000 miles was we wanted to tow a car trailer and it would not accomodate that so we have a Hymer Exsis now.

20. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Thanks Alan. Did you buy one of those 30 quid wireless ebay jobbies?