Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I have just bought a brand new Autotrail Tracker FB with reversing camera. Never gave it a second thought that i wouldn't be able to use it as a rear view camera whilst on the move like I could with my Swift Kontiki, but alas no! It only works as a reversing camera with no other option. So now having spent over 50 grand on a motorhome I now have to somehow rig up another camera. Anyone got any suggestions or advice? I would really like a rear view mirror mounted monitor?

Whilst I'm griping I also discovered that there is no external power point to plug in a water pump to pump fresh water into the tank? I know i can use a hose but what happens when im all set up on a pitch and I want to put water in the tank and im miles away from the tap? Again if anyone has encountered this problem i would be interested to hear your views.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Camera only needs a wiring mod to a switched ignition live.. .. any auto spark can do this.

To fill from an Aquaroll, I use a submersible pump with a long enough lead to reach the ciggy socket in the cab..

if you prefer have a12v socket fitted.. I've never bothered as I rarely use the pump..

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I had the same issue with my Autotrail Delaware (2015 Model), mine was worse as i was told by the dealer that they could reprogramme it to stay on, so i made the 4 hour trip only to be told when i got there that because it was the new model that they couldnt do it. After a bit of a lively discussion they eventually opted to fit another camera that could stay on at a reduced price. Not ideal but the only option for me at the time as i was going away in a few days so needed it sorted at i was towing and wanted to ensure i could see the load at all times.

I have already had them replace it once as it rusted within a few months, at present the replacement has been ok but i expect it will go the same way and now out of warranty for the camera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Camera only needs a wiring mod to a switched ignition live.. .. any auto spark can do this.

To fill from an Aquaroll, I use a submersible pump with a long enough lead to reach the ciggy socket in the cab..

if you prefer have a12v socket fitted.. I've never bothered as I rarely use the pump..

Great idea but the camera wiring cannot be modified as it incorporates the tom tom sat nav, apparently, and in any case it is pointing to the ground to aid reversing.
I have a sumersible pump but I would have thought that a 2016 model luxury motorhome would have had an external pump supply. It has external shower and external bbq point?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jims quite right re the camera wiring mod very simple task
Ive a new to me older 2006 Autotrail that has in the control panel an option to run, either or both internal and or external pumps.
But have no sign of an external pump or electrical connections for one anywhere near the filler
and wondered if there is an inbuilt external pump capable of sucking up from a barrel ???
Not tried yet so dont know
Why else the option to turn on an external pump?
G

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Great idea but the camera wiring cannot be modified as it incorporates the tom tom sat nav, apparently, and in any case it is pointing to the ground to aid reversing.
I have a sumersible pump but I would have thought that a 2016 model luxury motorhome would have had an external pump supply. It has external shower and external bbq point?
That assumption has to mean you can only Navigate when reversing:rofl:
Im pretty sure the camera has its own power feed from the reversing lights or gearbox switch that simply need a permanent ignition controlled supply

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
but the camera wiring cannot be modified

maybe they are just telling you that in order to sell another camera.. ? .. :eek: call me Mr skeptical :LOL:

in any case, I would be looking to change it so the camera is live when the ignition is on.. no matter what 'they' say

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
That assumption has to mean you can only Navigate when reversing:rofl:
Im pretty sure the camera has its own power feed from the reversing lights or gearbox switch that simply need a permanent ignition controlled supply

I picked up the motorhome yesterday and trust me i made a right fuss at Brownhills. I have been told in no uncertain terms that it is not possible on a 2016 display to have the camera on full time, and as i say, the camera is pointing to the ground.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Actually i have quite a few gripes :banghead:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Like i have to dismantle the bike rack to get to the spare wheel? That'll be interesting on a motorway on a cold wet night.::bigsmile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Like i have to dismantle the bike rack to get to the spare wheel? That'll be interesting on a motorway on a cold wet night.::bigsmile:
Join and call the AA instead and let them do it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dont think so with the correct bike rack, might have to take the bikes off though but that should have been obvious when you bought the van

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Understand your frustration but at least you did get a reversing camera fitted. We paid significantly more thn that and had to then get one fitted. Just get a dual camera fitted and it's problem sorted. Lifes too short dont let it ruin a golden moment driving your new pride and joy.....

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My experience of Brownhills is Once they have your money they couldn't care a toss. I had to make 3 return visits For them to sort out a hab lighting fault which they blatantly said didn't exist until I got nasty.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Dont think so with the correct bike rack, might have to take the bikes off though but that should have been obvious when you bought the van
20160601_084610.jpg

You decide.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although I am not a fan of UK vans your comments seem a bit petty and sounds like you should have researched what you were buying a bit better.
Fairly normal to have the camera only on reversing unless you pay a fortune for a twin camera as an option.
Don't see the problem with the water I assume your van has got wheels and an engine not hard to drive to the service point.:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@M1ke we used to have a tracker FB 2013 same problems I fitted a rear view camera at low level on number plate with a monitor that clipped on rear view mirror worked really well also fitted a whale electric pump socket in the under bed locker took a feed from around the boiler somewhere that worked well as the filler point not far from locker door we loved our Tracker although had lots of silly teething problems like doors falling off reason we changed it after 18000 miles was we wanted to tow a car trailer and it would not accomodate that so we have a Hymer Exsis now.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
@M1ke we used to have a tracker FB 2013 same problems I fitted a rear view camera at low level on number plate with a monitor that clipped on rear view mirror worked really well also fitted a whale electric pump socket in the under bed locker took a feed from around the boiler somewhere that worked well as the filler point not far from locker door we loved our Tracker although had lots of silly teething problems like doors falling off reason we changed it after 18000 miles was we wanted to tow a car trailer and it would not accomodate that so we have a Hymer Exsis now.
Thanks Alan. Did you buy one of those 30 quid wireless ebay jobbies?

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Thats not very impressive, surely your bikes are going to hit the spare wheel cover as well.

As Peter showed in his post my Tracker FB bike rack was mounted much higher than that.
Actually his is not, the only diffeence is that his lower rail is in the middle and mine is at the bottom. If i moved my lower rail up it would look the same.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Alan. Did you buy one of those 30 quid wireless ebay jobbies?
No I bought one from parking cameras.co.uk about £100 but well worth it they have waterproof connectors and really good cabling it was a bit fiddly to get into cab but not that hard.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My two cameras
Pictures are pin sharp but don't photograph too well
A through the wall low level camera that never gets dirty in wet weather and useful if I have the cover on the bikes that impedes high level view
image.jpeg

My high level which is fine without the cover but does quickly get dirty in wet driving

image.jpeg

Both are narrow angle lenses as wide angle gives an unrealistic sense of distance

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Can't the bottom track on the bike rack be moved further up so it doesn't foul the wheel carrier, as per the Johns Cross photo? That seems to be the only obvious difference.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years

We also had a whale pump socket installed near to the water inlet. Works well for the situation you described if you don't want to use watering cans.

I have also been thinking of a rear view camera in addition to the installed reversing camera. I don't want to loose the reversing camera, so have to install an additional rear view camera, but havnt got around to it. Handy to know the sat nav unit doesn't allow the reversing camera to be used for rear view anyway, it forces my hand into an additional rear view camera.

There was a thread some time ago with pictures and instructions showing a camera built into the spare wheel housing. It was a very neat job indeed. With your cycle rack fit, you would need to check obstruction by bikes first.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@M1ke sorry it was Parkingcameras.com they usually have some good offers and their kit is good quality, if your are a DIY er you will be able to fit one easily. Good luck

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Maybe they mounted it incorrectly or they left it at full height/length as its adjustable 80 -150cm

Fiamma Carry Bike for Autotrail Motorhomes
The Fiamma Carry-Bike Pro Auto-Trail has been designed specifically for Auto-Trail motorhomes and their distinctive spare wheel cover on the rear of the motorhome. Taken from the Carry Bike Pro range of bike racks, this enlarged version has fixings set at 94cm apart to span the width of the van where the spare wheel is fitted.

The cycle rack fits around the spare wheel.

Finished in red, it matches the motorhome and is delivered as standard for two bikes.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Can't the bottom track on the bike rack be moved further up so it doesn't foul the wheel carrier, as per the Johns Cross photo? That seems to be the only obvious difference.

Spot on Bob, see my post above.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Actually his is not, the only diffeence is that his lower rail is in the middle and mine is at the bottom. If i moved my lower rail up it would look the same.

Yes, and I think he's got the arms extended to move the bikes further away from the spare wheel cover. That one is easily resolved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back