Not Happy, Autotrail Delaware 1 Year Old Failed Habitation Check - Damp (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
scrap that last comment as now found the sink cover is also missing, another phone call to the dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
scrap that last comment as now found the sink cover is also missing, another phone call to the dealer.

That's three done then.

All clear now for the next three. :doh:

I hope you get all of your bits back as it seems that surely they must be with the dealer.

Reactions: zac

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
In our Delaware the sink cover stores under the microwave in its own compartment

Ray

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In our Delaware the sink cover stores under the microwave in its own compartment

Ray
Same in our Savannah. Push to open \ push to close action.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
zzzzac , take a good look at the rapido range, ive gone for an A class 9000dfh , made the decision last year at the nec, I then got a list of the dealers in Belgium and drove over there , saving myself 20k on the UK price , go check out the range , the finish inside is top notch

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Ray

Yes you are correct, never seen that before as never used it. They must if put it in there when replacing the sink. Now just need to find the Matt

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
zzzzac , take a good look at the rapido range, ive gone for an A class 9000dfh , made the decision last year at the nec, I then got a list of the dealers in Belgium and drove over there , saving myself 20k on the UK price , go check out the range , the finish inside is top notch

I have been thinking about the Rapido range. Which dealer did you use?

We are at the NEC next weekend so I will ensure I give them a good look over.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I have been thinking about the Rapido range. Which dealer did you use?

We are at the NEC next weekend so I will ensure I give them a good look over.

We went to decuyper at poperinge in Belgium , we presented them with the same spec as we did a UK dealer and they came in at 23k cheaper ( euro rate 1.4o) they are only 30 mins from dunkirk and have experience dealing with brits , the salesman is called albert

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We went to decuyper at poperinge in Belgium , we presented them with the same spec as we did a UK dealer and they came in at 23k cheaper ( euro rate 1.4o) they are only 30 mins from dunkirk and have experience dealing with brits , the salesman is called albert

Thanks, very useful information which will come in handy when we decide for sure.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So been a little while since i updated this but there is some more news. Took our motorhome back this weekend to get another damp check as per the instructions on the report (3 months). We arrived on Thursday evening and just by chance whilst i was looking for the handle to wind down the steadies i noticed the back wall in both corners of the garage were dripping wet. I made the dealer aware the next day and left the MH with them as we were off for the day. Got a call midday to say that the seals on the garage door were not sealing properly (again) and this was because of the door retainers pushing against the door when closed. They offered to either extend them or remove them which i said whichever is recommended as i want is the water to stop coming in. They have removed them and resealed the door and adjusted the catches to ensure no more water. I have been told to remove all the items from the garage when i get home tomorrow to let the garage dry out. My question is can i just put a low watt oil filled radiator in there and if so how long do i run it for?

I wont go on about Autotrail as my feelings are already well known in this thread, unfortunately we are now not in a position to trade it in so for the moment we are stuck with it (so to speak).

I do wash the MH once a month approx but i am always careful around windows/doors/seals etc and never use the power washer on it.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now and i will be going back in a couple of months to get it checked yet again.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When I was at the recent Lincoln show I looked at the motorhomes on show and the only motorhome that had as high a standard finish as the rapido was a carthago A class at 5OK more expensive

Just a shame they don't do an ultralight version like hymer & Cathargo

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
So been a little while since i updated this but there is some more news. Took our motorhome back this weekend to get another damp check as per the instructions on the report (3 months). We arrived on Thursday evening and just by chance whilst i was looking for the handle to wind down the steadies i noticed the back wall in both corners of the garage were dripping wet. I made the dealer aware the next day and left the MH with them as we were off for the day. Got a call midday to say that the seals on the garage door were not sealing properly (again) and this was because of the door retainers pushing against the door when closed. They offered to either extend them or remove them which i said whichever is recommended as i want is the water to stop coming in. They have removed them and resealed the door and adjusted the catches to ensure no more water. I have been told to remove all the items from the garage when i get home tomorrow to let the garage dry out. My question is can i just put a low watt oil filled radiator in there and if so how long do i run it for?

I wont go on about Autotrail as my feelings are already well known in this thread, unfortunately we are now not in a position to trade it in so for the moment we are stuck with it (so to speak).

I do wash the MH once a month approx but i am always careful around windows/doors/seals etc and never use the power washer on it.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now and i will be going back in a couple of months to get it checked yet again.
Zac i feel for you mate ,must be bloody frustrating to have to go through that

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Zac i feel for you mate ,must be bloody frustrating to have to go through that

It is frustrating but i am trying to not let is get to me, if i use the oil radiator in the back garage how long do i leave it in there for? Seems to be the best option to dry it out quickly unless anyone has any other suggestions?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
It is frustrating but i am trying to not let is get to me, if i use the oil radiator in the back garage how long do i leave it in there for? Seems to be the best option to dry it out quickly unless anyone has any other suggestions?
What you need is a Dehumidifier!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Its not all bad, we have had a very good weekend away.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
We have a 2011 Savannah (same as the delaware with single beds) i have checked for damp and fortunately it is below 10%. I use a 40 watt tube heater in the garage area mounted on a piece of decking which i bought from my local Screwfix and leave it on all the time over winter (only the cost of a 40w bulb).
Unfortunately, buying a MH seems to be like buying a poorly built car only MH's have a greater skill input as there is more dependancy on the ability of the assembler to fit and seal the parts together.
When i worked in the motor industry the most trouble free cars were built on a tuesday, wednesday and thursday. This was backed up by warranty issues tracked back to the build date hence more robots being introduced and manual workforce reduced.
The problem with older MH's is the type of sealant used and the drying out of the joints. This can lead to gaps and water ingress hence damp.
In this day and age poorly fitting panels, seals and accessories is unacceptable, especially the amount it costs to purchase these luxury items.
The manufacturers should be made to take them back, repair them at base and learn by their mistakes.
They must build in a selling cost to cover repairs out in the field.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have a 2011 Savannah (same as the delaware with single beds) i have checked for damp and fortunately it is below 10%. I use a 40 watt tube heater in the garage area mounted on a piece of decking which i bought from my local Screwfix and leave it on all the time over winter (only the cost of a 40w bulb).
Unfortunately, buying a MH seems to be like buying a poorly built car only MH's have a greater skill input as there is more dependancy on the ability of the assembler to fit and seal the parts together.
When i worked in the motor industry the most trouble free cars were built on a tuesday, wednesday and thursday. This was backed up by warranty issues tracked back to the build date hence more robots being introduced and manual workforce reduced.
The problem with older MH's is the type of sealant used and the drying out of the joints. This can lead to gaps and water ingress hence damp.
In this day and age poorly fitting panels, seals and accessories is unacceptable, especially the amount it costs to purchase these luxury items.
The manufacturers should be made to take them back, repair them at base and learn by their mistakes.
They must build in a selling cost to cover repairs out in the field.

Interesting point about the 40watt tube. Do you have a link for it ? Also do you empty your garage out to run this when leaving it over the winter as ours is pretty full and we do use it all year round although not every weekend. If I need to leave a bulb on I certainly will to assist with these issues. The quality on Motorhomes from my own personal experience has been shocking. I have only had elddis and AutoTrail but both have been brand new and both have been awful. Such a shame as the Delaware has our perfect layout and if it weren't for these issues I would not be thinking of ways to get rid of it.

Still I have ordered a dehumidifier to use when we get back later today. I will empty the garage and put that on and leave it on for a week. Can't leave it on any longer as I have a new bike being delivered a week Monday and need the space in the garage for that.

Our next trip will be the Peterborough rally which will be our first. So hopefully by then there won't be anymore wet. We are also scheduled to go to Italy and of April so all being well it won't affect that either.

I have learnt a lot since owning a Motorhome about what to do and what not to do but the quality side is out of my hands.

Appreciate the advice from all who have replied.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So out of interest who makes the most reliable motorhome? I realise this is an open ended question which will be open to interpretation based on individual experiences but I have to start somewhere. If i want to look at getting shot of this one and getting another, i want to know roughly which ones to aim for. I know there will be issues with anything but the amount i have had gone wrong with Autotrail far exceed what i consider to be acceptable.

I am looking for a similar design to the one we have but may consider tag axle as i dont have a restriction on what I can drive. There are only 2 of us so no need for additional beds aside from the island bed we would be after.

The main makes seems to be:

Hymer
Rapido
Dethleffs
Burnster
Frankia

Obviously not looking at any British makers, anybodys view of actually owning any of these welcome, the more information the easier it will be when choosing.
Carado (cheaper subsidiary of Hymer) .....1 blind out of alignment on pick up, 1 yellow side light with water ingress after 2, weeks of monsoon and hail and storm in Portugal! So far once you've had German you can't go back (y);)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bought a 1996 Autosleeper 4 years ago,,other than faulty alarm not a single problem in over 30000 miles,,taken us to Spain and Portugal and France twice a year. Just sold it and i hope new owner gets the same reliability. So you see England can produce dry reliable motorhomes. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back