Not Happy, Autotrail Delaware 1 Year Old Failed Habitation Check - Damp

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by zac, Oct 1, 2015.

1. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Well to say i am not happy would be an understatement, my 12 month old Autotrail Delaware has just failed the Habitation check due to "significant amount of damp" offside in the garage area.

Since i purchased this last November i have had issue after issue with this vehicle and although they have been relatively minor they all take a considerable amount of effort to repair due to the distance we are from the dealers.

I do not expect any kind of damp in a 12 month old vehicle, Autotrail are just blaming normal unforseen events that can just happen. There is some serious lack of quality control on Autotrail's side for these vehicles. This could be the end of our relationship with Autotrail as now i am seriously considering getting shot of it. All the issues just mount up and i am very near the point of just tipping over and resolving the issues once and for all.

I am sure there will be issues with any motorhomes but without going into a full list i have now covered over 3000 miles in just repair work since purchase. Totally unacceptable, i need a manufacturer who actually cares about quality control and that doesn't appear to be a British one.

Rant over.

• Like Like x 7
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

VERY COMMON... !!
    Mine had up to 40% and a leaking Heki at it's first Hab check.
    There are lots of reports about AT's and leak issues :( Mine was a 2012 so things have not improved.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Not acceptable i am afraid, i expect this on older vehicles not on vehicles that are pretty new, this is Autotrails issue and although they are of course going to fix it that is not the point. I have lost faith in this company so I think it is now time to move on but as always that will depend on what money i have lost on mine which i am expecting to be a lot.

Tonka-what have you got now?

4. tonka

Still have same van Apache 700... Keep looking at others but either cant find anything I like or the one's I do like then my arm's wont reach down far enough to my wallet..

My previous van was the same but a 2005 model. much better built as at 7 years no damp..!
    You are not alone, many Autotrail owners are looking elsewhere BUT then you hear horror stories on other brands as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Catch 22 then, i am just shocked at the lack of interest by Autotrail, just would of expected to be a lot more concerned. They must get so many that they are used to hearing about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We now have a rule.. Never buy a van that is less than 8 years old.. ( at the moment at least )

2007 seems to be almost a cut off year for quality builds..
    And of course there is also the point that something 8 years old SHOULD have had all and any 'normal' issues sorted out

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

But John, before that cut off point chances are you wouldn't be the proud owner of superduper LED moodlighting;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Very true.. In fact I spent nearly 20 whole British pounds to retro-fit the whole van with LED's ( from China :) )... and I have an Autotrail without the optional built in jacuzzi that seems to come with all the newer ones as well

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You would.

The previous owner will have fitted it, and many more bits and bobs as well.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  10. zac

zac Funster Life Member

The last 2 vans have been new thinking that would be better but there is clearly a fine line with this. You shouldnt have to buy 2nd hand to get a quality finish/van.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Autotrail are owned by the same company that makes EuraMobil, Chausson and Roller Team among others.
    They are French owned and some say that was when it all started going pear shaped.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  12. zac

zac Funster Life Member

That's interesting i didnt know that, food for thought though.

13. zac

zac Funster Life Member

So out of interest who makes the most reliable motorhome? I realise this is an open ended question which will be open to interpretation based on individual experiences but I have to start somewhere. If i want to look at getting shot of this one and getting another, i want to know roughly which ones to aim for. I know there will be issues with anything but the amount i have had gone wrong with Autotrail far exceed what i consider to be acceptable.

I am looking for a similar design to the one we have but may consider tag axle as i dont have a restriction on what I can drive. There are only 2 of us so no need for additional beds aside from the island bed we would be after.

The main makes seems to be:

Hymer
    Rapido
    Dethleffs
    Burnster
    Frankia

Obviously not looking at any British makers, anybodys view of actually owning any of these welcome, the more information the easier it will be when choosing.

14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Our chausson and the previous one are fine perhaps its down to the factory its built in rather than the owning company

• Like Like x 3
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Can only speak as I find. Our Rapido A class bought new in 2008 has had only minor problems. A leaking window, easily removed and refitted and a bathroom door lock, repaired by a local locksmith. The upholstery and body are as new after 60000 miles. Would I buy another Rapido. Absolutely yes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Carthago are worth consideration

• Like Like x 2
  17. tonka

Thats where i have a problem.. !! Want one, just cant make the plunge to spend the cash,, :doh:
    However... At Lincoln a dealer was saying they were dogged with Electrical problems. Never heard that before..

Hymer or Carthago in my sights,, :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Forgot about about the Cathargo's, i will be going to the NEC in a few weeks so will be looking at a lot there. Hard to know which factory they are built in though as to if they are good or bad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We love our new Carthago - build quality is excellent. No electrical problems as previously mentioned, infact the electrical installation that I can see has been done with very good quality fitments, and very professionally installed. The ride is VERY comfortable.
    Discounts are available if you go to the right dealer too

• Like Like x 1
  20. zac

zac Funster Life Member

Thanks useful to know, which dealer did you purchase yours from ? did you part ex or buy straight out as i expect this will affect the price?