North Yorkshire Ban Confirmed (1 Viewer)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
That would be the same Councillor Backhouse who was behind the proposal to allow overnight camping in SBC car parks before the planning policy issue became apparent.
I couldn't possibly comment on non minuted "proposals"!:rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So how did Canterbury do it, was that KCC and if so why only one and why haven't they been more proactive with the situation around Dover? Unless they are expecting ALL motorhomers to use Canterbury P&R,where does that leave the tuggers?
There is not enough space around Dover.If there was they would be parking the stacked lorries.
Bad enough that the councillor is proposing Mansion and putting pressure on police chief to agree to a nonsensical suggestion; apart from xxxxing up the rest of Kent if it went ahead!
Hi all I live in Bury Lancs. and it really pees me of when I walk my two dogs around my area and see European heavy goods vehicles parked up over night without any threat of being moved on by the authorities, sometimes they are there all weekend so how are they disposing of tiolet an other wastes?
When their hours are up they have to stop.InFrance,Germany, etc they provide free parking with services.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I couldn't possibly comment on non minuted "proposals"!:rolleyes:
Will a quote to Practical Motorhome suffice?

EDIT. I meant to include it in my earlier post but had to end it quickly as I just received a call to say my FiL had been taken to A&E.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Come on funsters this is the UK so we expect this treatment to motor homers. They totally love our money but hate our mode of transport. The once touring freedom in the UK has long gone. We're staying on an Aire in southern central France for a few days. FREE hedged pitch, FREE waste and fresh water, FREE toilets, FREE 16amp unmetered electric. The villagers ALL welcome us and the Marie visits the Aire to thank us for visiting.
Who the hell wants to bother the UK. I'd rather spend my money where it's appreciated.

And i bet the sun is shining,,,BUSBY:):):)

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
The councils which make the orders.
So they have council wardens checking car parks during the night then?
I ask as I work nights and have never seen one or heard of someone being ticketed during the night.....has anyone first hand experience of this?
Also as a landscape photographer I sometimes get up at stupid o clock to catch the sunrise or am out late after sunset so is this gonna cause me to get done if I pull up at 300am or am there at 10pm?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I ask as I work nights and have never seen one or heard of someone being ticketed during the night.....has anyone first hand experience of this?
Also as a landscape photographer I sometimes get up at stupid o clock to catch the sunrise or am out late after sunset so is this gonna cause me to get done if I pull up at 300am or am there at 10pm?
It varies between councils and with the perceived level of breach of the orders. Some councils spend more on enforcement in the summer months than the winter months and they will usually respond to reports of consistent breaches by cracking down.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Noted, but do you or anyone have any first hand experience of being ticketed/prosecuted for being parked in a car park during the night?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was part of a demonstration against the parking ban. We parked in the restricted area and informed the council. 10 vans parked no tickets were given.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Noted, but do you or anyone have any first hand experience of being ticketed/prosecuted for being parked in a car park during the night?
Perhaps the most publicised event in recent times is the prosecutions connected with Huttoft Car Terrace.
I was part of a demonstration against the parking ban. We parked in the restricted area and informed the council. 10 vans parked no tickets were given.
As was established at the time, NYCC deliberately didn't get involved in Strangeway's silly publicity stunt because they knew how he always twists the facts.

Anyone camping in breach of a ban may or may not receive a ticket depending on the enforcement policy of the council concerned at the time.
What is sure, though, is that continued breaches will harden the attitude of both councils and the general public and make it that much harder for people to achieve positive results.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Who the hell wants to go to Yorkshire anyway I can get to France a lot quicker and I know which I prefer.;):sneaky:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Perhaps the most publicised event in recent times is the prosecutions connected with Huttoft Car Terrace.

As was established at the time, NYCC deliberately didn't get involved in Strangeway's silly publicity stunt because they knew how he always twists the facts.

Anyone camping in breach of a ban may or may not receive a ticket depending on the enforcement policy of the council concerned at the time.
What is sure, though, is that continued breaches will harden the attitude of both councils and the general public and make it that much harder for people to achieve positive results.

Without protesting I'm pretty sure that the council would have had their traffic order approved for all the roads on the list.
NYCC didn't get involved because they knew they were in the wrong.
Who established at the time?
We were not camping, just parked up overnight.
The continued breaches resulted in the road where we parked being removed from the restriction.
The reason for the proposed restrictions was purely on environmental grounds i.e. tipping of waste. The trouble was that the council had absolutely no proof or records of such behavior. This was established and proved at the time through an FOI request

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Without protesting I'm pretty sure that the council would have had their traffic order approved for all the roads on the list.
NYCC didn't get involved because they knew they were in the wrong.
Who established at the time?
We were not camping, just parked up overnight.
The continued breaches resulted in the road where we parked being removed from the restriction.
The reason for the proposed restrictions was purely on environmental grounds i.e. tipping of waste. The trouble was that the council had absolutely no proof or records of such behavior. This was established and proved at the time through an FOI request
The final traffic order resulted from constructive consultation, not silly stunts, and it's about time people stopped pretending not to know the difference between parking and camping.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The final traffic order resulted from constructive consultation, not silly stunts, and it's about time people stopped pretending not to know the difference between parking and camping.
Your opinion. I was there at some of the what you call silly stunts. Which were actually peasful protests involving parking safely over night, the council didnt come as they knew that they would have looked bad in the press. Andy was at the planning meetings to put the argument forward for motorhomers. Camping and sleeping in a van overnight are easily defined, the French have worked out different rules for Aires and campsites so its not difficult really.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Andy Strangeway did ask this question of Scarborough Council in an FOI request asking for details of the times patrols were on duty.

The reply did indicate, although I cannot lay my hand on it at present, that there were traffic officers out late into the night and again out very early in the morning. The reply if I remember correctly did state how many PCNs had been issues during these times, but was not broken down to show if these were Motor Caravans or other vehicles.

This NYCC permanent ban is for highway parking. It is additional to the TROs by Scarborough Council for their off street car parks, (including the Sea Life Centre) which still apply.

Reactions: GJH
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Last time I was there there were no signs prohibiting motorhome parking in the sealife carpark. Has this changed?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Camping and sleeping in a van overnight are easily defined, the French have worked out different rules for Aires and campsites so its not difficult really.
Yes, my opinion. Built on knowledge that people are persuaded by reasoned argument not by being hit. The council would have "looked bad in the press" because of the half truths and twisting of facts that would have bee put forward. I see Strangeway has now turned his attention to slagging off UKIP when he can't get his way there either.
Camping and sleeping in a van overnight are easily defined, the French have worked out different rules for Aires and campsites so its not difficult really.
It doesn't matter what the French have done, this is theUK. The French joined the Euro, is that a reason for us to do so? The French have tolls on motorways, is that a reason for us to follow suit?
Last time I was there there were no signs prohibiting motorhome parking in the sealife carpark. Has this changed?
Yet again, it doesn't matter one jot what signs say (despite what Strangeway tried to claim). What matters is what the traffic order says - and that is reflected in the information published by SBC (No sleeping or overnight camping).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Andy Strangeway did ask this question of Scarborough Council in an FOI request asking for details of the times patrols were on duty.

The reply did indicate, although I cannot lay my hand on it at present, that there were traffic officers out late into the night and again out very early in the morning. The reply if I remember correctly did state how many PCNs had been issues during these times, but was not broken down to show if these were Motor Caravans or other vehicles.

This NYCC permanent ban is for highway parking. It is additional to the TROs by Scarborough Council for their off street car parks, (including the Sea Life Centre) which still apply.
This may be the one, John.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Come on funsters this is the UK so we expect this treatment to motor homers. They totally love our money but hate our mode of transport. The once touring freedom in the UK has long gone. We're staying on an Aire in southern central France for a few days. FREE hedged pitch, FREE waste and fresh water, FREE toilets, FREE 16amp unmetered electric. The villagers ALL welcome us and the Marie visits the Aire to thank us for visiting.
Who the hell wants to bother the UK. I'd rather spend my money where it's appreciated.
Where are you? We'll be in France next week.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We were in bridlington area last week could not park , barriers down so drove off to northhumberland no problem and thanks for making us welcome regards.ps another 20 _30 po

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were in bridlington area last week could not park , barriers down so drove off to northhumberland no problem and thanks for making us welcome regards.ps another 20 _30 po
Was that all Bridlington car parks Stephen? According to the last statement I had from the council it should be possible to park at Hilderthorpe Road and at the Park & Ride (they will open the barriers if they are in place to stop travellers). If that has changed (which would be contrary to information on their web site) I'll ask them for an update.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Blimey, and I thought the political threads were controversial, surprised the thread hasnt made it to the belly locker yet :)

Reactions: DBK

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
And the practical difference is?
Errrrrr....well you have a trial and challenge the lawfulness and the evidence as the other guy did rather than meekly accepting some silly petty prosecution.
The presumption at the start of the trial is you are innocent until PROVEN guilty which is the foundation of our criminal law.....unless you accept it of course like these two in which case the evidence and lawfulness are not tested in court

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Errrrrr....well you have a trial and challenge the lawfulness and the evidence as the other guy did rather than meekly accepting some silly petty prosecution.
The presumption at the start of the trial is you are innocent until PROVEN guilty which is the foundation of our criminal law.....unless you accept it of course like these two in which case the evidence and lawfulness are not tested in court
Balderdash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back