Noisy Shureflo water Pump - solutions anyone ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by DAVWOD, Sep 3, 2016.

1. DAVWOD

DAVWOD Funster

Purchased a 2015 Pilote MH with all the bells and whistle's but a very annoying noise comming from
    a water Pump which after calling the last owner installed a Shurflo water pump to bolster the water pressure , yes is great to have the pressure but everyone on site can hear when the pump kicks in.

Q - Has any Funster's have one of these or can offer a solution?

A = :oops2:

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you need to get hold of some soft rubber and make shock absorbing feet. then fit these using longer mounting screws. it wont totally kill the noise but it will damp it down somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Make sure the inlet and outlet hoses are flexible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

As both posts plus you will hear it, I consider it a good alarm if you hear it running when it shouldn't you may have a leak.

• Like Like x 2
  5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Is the noise coming when no taps are switched on? If so then you probably have a leak, and that could be because your water pressure is too high.

If the noise is when the taps are on it will depend what you mean by "noisy". You can always hear an external pump. We had a Shurflo in our first motorhome and we could hear it whenever we switched on a tap or flushed a toilet. Our second motorhome has a submersible pump in the tank and when I first tried it at the dealers I thought the pump was broken, despite the water coming out, because I couldn't hear anything!

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just a heads up.. .

Shurflo is positive displacement diaphram pump, not only is it a higher pressure than a submersible, which is centrifugal pump, but it also retains that pressure in the lines when not running..

I'm sure it will be ok,,, but keep an eye on all joints and connections to taps.. the water system may not have been designed for a Shurflo

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. WillH

WillH Funster

Try slackening the securing bolts a little and using softer mounts, that may do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

As others have said, flexible connection to pipes, isolate mounts. The other thing to look at is an accumulator.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DAVWOD

DAVWOD Funster

Sry for delay in responding but many thanks in your suggestions.

I have since been in contact with the last owner who confirmed that he had this pump fitted to enhance the water pressure which can only be heard when you open the water taps or use the Shower. Your suggestions are most welcome and we either put up with the noise ( which isn't an option) or dampen the noise level down by your suggestions which seem logic and or sound proof the pump where it's located ( under the Island bed!

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If the noise is when the pump is pulsing an easy cheap fix is to fit an accumulator I think Fiamma do one for under 20 quid.

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

doh!

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Think cork for isolation pads.. Best noise insulator around and often over looked.
    Then off to a scrap yard and blag the sound deadening from the bonnet of a scrap car.. a couple of quid should do it !