No work out there .. huh.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by movan, Aug 3, 2016.

1. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Don't know if this the right place to put this .. it is what I call technical.

@Jaws kindly helped me purchase a new thermostat wall control for central heating at mum's old house. You just latch it on wall in hall and set the time temperature etc.

BUT .. you also attach a 'bit' to the boiler which via wireless picks up the signal. I am repeatedly told it a 10minute job .... BUT WHO DOES IT. I contacted plumber .. no I need electrician. I contacted electrician ..no I need central heating man. I contacted central heating man .. I need builder. I contacted builder ..no I need British Gas. Totally peed off and cannot hand house over for social til it sorted. WHO do you suggest I contact profession wise please?

A part of me suspects the job not big enough for anyone to be bothered coming out.:(

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Our electrician did a similar job for us with no issues, so I would say an electrician, although I would suggest that a central heating engineer should also be able to do it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. movan

Thank you. So looks like my suspicions of 'job too small' may be correct. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I suspect you are correct in your thoughts.
    Are there instructions supplied with it, I think it is a fairly simple diy job ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

We paid £25, but we know our sparky well, it was a half hour job at most, including a chat & a cup of rosy lee :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just grab a 7 year old kid off the street. It will be sorted in 5 minutes.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Pah. Ten minute jobs always end up hours.

I'd go for heating engineer on the basis he will be more familiar with the boiler connections. If you do have the full boiler manual then an electrician could do it easily.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Speve

Speve Funster

Electrician definitely trouble is nowadays they don't like little jobs cause they charge a lot per hour and by the time you add travelling to the bill it comes to near £100!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Is your boiler anywhere near its service time, if it is get it done at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Domestic central heating engineer is the guy your looking for but as has been said can you scan the installation guide, we may be able to help or at least decide if you need to get someone in to do the job?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hang on until Bob a Job week and a Boy Scout will do it for you. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Speak to a local trades man, If he won't do it ask him if he can recommend someone local. When you phone that person up tell them that XXX recommended you...

Tends to do the trick...

Or ask on facebook. People in your local area should know someone who will be able to help. Alternatively if you visit your local, ask the landlord...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Darrell is a gas engineer who also does plumbing.. He fits 3 or 4 a week ...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. movan

Thanks all. It is annoying how much it is going to cost.. I cannot do it myself.

Today I had to have a man out to fix the alarm ... an empty house which Social services have taken to pay for mum and dad's care in the last years of their lives but certain legal requirements .. long story so please don't respond to that... really down today over it all as it just been too much with the solicitor these last three weeks... Anyway, the guy out to fix the burglar alarm could not understand the instructions and he has contacted an electrician he knows to come and do it in the morning ... so far the bill for putting that little bit on (not the burglar alarm job, that will be a Hell of a lot more) ... is about £50 to 60. I am sick of struggling for money due to being a carer..

I tried every tradesman I could think might be able to do it. If this guy doesn't turn up, Mike McGlynn has very kindly given me a number by pm and I will try that. :(

Thanks again everybody that tried to give me an answer ... will let you know once it paid.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

just a shame you are not closer, i would do it for you. literally 10 minutes job

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I've done one of these and it takes longer to fit the bracket to the wall than to wire the receiver to the boiler .. I have struggled a lot with these small jobs though when I've wanted to get a man in

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. movan

The bracket is already on the wall. I put the new unit on it yesterday... just the bit to the boiler I can't do.