LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know if this the right place to put this .. it is what I call technical.

@Jaws kindly helped me purchase a new thermostat wall control for central heating at mum's old house. You just latch it on wall in hall and set the time temperature etc.

BUT .. you also attach a 'bit' to the boiler which via wireless picks up the signal. I am repeatedly told it a 10minute job .... BUT WHO DOES IT. I contacted plumber .. no I need electrician. I contacted electrician ..no I need central heating man. I contacted central heating man .. I need builder. I contacted builder ..no I need British Gas. Totally peed off and cannot hand house over for social til it sorted. WHO do you suggest I contact profession wise please?

A part of me suspects the job not big enough for anyone to be bothered coming out.:(

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our electrician did a similar job for us with no issues, so I would say an electrician, although I would suggest that a central heating engineer should also be able to do it.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Our electrician did a similar job for us with no issues, so I would say an electrician, although I would suggest that a central heating engineer should also be able to do it.
Thank you. So looks like my suspicions of 'job too small' may be correct. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect you are correct in your thoughts.
Are there instructions supplied with it, I think it is a fairly simple diy job ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just grab a 7 year old kid off the street. It will be sorted in 5 minutes.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am repeatedly told it a 10minute job ..

Pah. Ten minute jobs always end up hours.

I'd go for heating engineer on the basis he will be more familiar with the boiler connections. If you do have the full boiler manual then an electrician could do it easily.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Electrician definitely trouble is nowadays they don't like little jobs cause they charge a lot per hour and by the time you add travelling to the bill it comes to near ÂŁ100!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is your boiler anywhere near its service time, if it is get it done at the same time.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Domestic central heating engineer is the guy your looking for but as has been said can you scan the installation guide, we may be able to help or at least decide if you need to get someone in to do the job?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Speak to a local trades man, If he won't do it ask him if he can recommend someone local. When you phone that person up tell them that XXX recommended you...

Tends to do the trick...

Or ask on facebook. People in your local area should know someone who will be able to help. Alternatively if you visit your local, ask the landlord...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Darrell is a gas engineer who also does plumbing.. He fits 3 or 4 a week ...

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks all. It is annoying how much it is going to cost.. I cannot do it myself.

Today I had to have a man out to fix the alarm ... an empty house which Social services have taken to pay for mum and dad's care in the last years of their lives but certain legal requirements .. long story so please don't respond to that... really down today over it all as it just been too much with the solicitor these last three weeks... Anyway, the guy out to fix the burglar alarm could not understand the instructions and he has contacted an electrician he knows to come and do it in the morning ... so far the bill for putting that little bit on (not the burglar alarm job, that will be a Hell of a lot more) ... is about ÂŁ50 to 60. I am sick of struggling for money due to being a carer..

I tried every tradesman I could think might be able to do it. If this guy doesn't turn up, Mike McGlynn has very kindly given me a number by pm and I will try that. :(

Thanks again everybody that tried to give me an answer ... will let you know once it paid.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just a shame you are not closer, i would do it for you. literally 10 minutes job

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've done one of these and it takes longer to fit the bracket to the wall than to wire the receiver to the boiler .. I have struggled a lot with these small jobs though when I've wanted to get a man in

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've done one of these and it takes longer to fit the bracket to the wall than to wire the receiver to the boiler .. I have struggled a lot with these small jobs though when I've wanted to get a man in
The bracket is already on the wall. I put the new unit on it yesterday... just the bit to the boiler I can't do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back