No water from my taps

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by stringa, Nov 27, 2015.

1. stringa

stringa Funster

Nah then,
    I've just arrived on camp and filled up with water, but there's no water coming from any of my taps.......I can't understand why, this is the first time it's happened .....it's a wayfarer Peugeot boxer 97 .....my pump is making its normal noise and I'm doing everything that I normally do......any ideas.

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

You may have an airlock.
    Run hit tap furthest away from the water tank. May take a few minutes as there might be air in the hot water tank or pipes.
    Is there water in the fresh water tank?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Somehow you seem to have an air lock. Blow through open pipes nearest tank. keep furthest tap open. Assuming nothing has changes from the norm

• Like Like x 1
  4. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Have a look under the motorhome when you turn the tap on and if there is water running out your dump valve might be open, its been cold enough to make that happen.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Treeeev

Treeeev Funster

Sounds like an airlock which has previously been suggested. You could try turning on your kitchen tap, putting your mouth over it and sucking hard. I have had airlocks on a couple of occasions and this has fixed it for me

• Like Like x 1
  6. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Who's a naughty Boy then eh? Who didn't try things out BEFORE he left home?

• Like Like x 2
  7. stringa

stringa Funster

Thanks for the replies, I had to pop into town so I thought I'd have a look when I got back....now it's pitch black there's not much I can do till the morning. A air lock does sound likely but I've just noticed that the tank is now empty......according to the reading......why or where the waters gone I've no idea..........a bit of a let down for the Mrs as she wanted to do the sucking.

• Like Like x 4
  8. davanne

davanne Funster

Is your boiler dump valve open ...that could be why all your water has disappeared .

• Like Like x 1
  9. stringa

stringa Funster

I didn't know I had a dump valve, where is it? And what does it look like?

10. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Next to your boiler? If you have a truma.

[​IMG]

12. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Just wondered if there is a plug at the bottom of your fresh water tank that perhaps hasn't sat properly?

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Airlocks stopping water flow are a bit of a myth.
    You may have air in the system but the pump is pushing water into the pipes.
    At some point water HAS TO emerge from the taps.
    It may splutter but water will come out.....it has to, it has nowhere else to go.
    The only way it could stop the flow is if the airlock is in or before the pump.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stringa

stringa Funster

Just been checking around some of the above tasks .....still not getting anywhere ...I've now just noticed that the little testing button now reads empty, but I have just checked the outside water inlet and the water level is full.........hmmmm

15. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

There are not many causes for this fault.
    Pump.
    Water supply.
    Tap microswitch.
    Blockages in pipework.

If you have taken the top off the water tank and can see that the tank is full (as opposed to relying on a gauge) then that is the water supply cause ruled out. Make sure your boiler is full by closing the red dump valve and opening the hot taps.
    Second, you have said that when you open any of the taps you can hear the pump working, but nothing, not even bubbling, comes out of any tap, whether on hot or cold. That doesn't necessarily rule out a pump fault. Mine sounded as though it was working but after only a few minutes of standing unused, each time I opened a tap, the bubbling start again. I fitted a new pump and it is now fine. So despite the encouraging sound, there could be a problem at the pump.
    Does the pump sound to be active when every tap is opened? If not, you have a microswitch failure on one or more taps. Easy to fix, but you do need the new part.
    If you can disconnect the feede pipes to your taps, and turn the tap on (making sure you can catch the water of course!) that might tell you where there is a blockage, if any. When you do find out what the problem was, it would be good to hear the result on this thread. Gary

• Like Like x 1
  16. stringa

stringa Funster

Nah then,
    Finally sorted out my problem, the water was not coming out of the taps was because the pressure was low, I wasn't sure if to leave the motor running as I thought I might burn the motor in the pump but that was not the case, so I let it run for 30 seconds or so and then hey presto the water in the taps was running normal.....this was talked to me over the telephone, so if it happens again I know what to do......thanks for all your help

• Like Like x 5
  17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Thirty seconds is nothing for the pump. If I drain my system down completely it takes several minutes to clear all the air out of the pipes, opening taps in turn, nearest the pump first.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Submersible pumps can be run for ages as long as they have been recently submerged in water. If submerged they can run for days (don't ask:)). In line diaphragm pumps can run until you become bored listening to them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Glad you got it fixed, and for nowt! Like @DBK, the air takes a while to clear out of mine too, so what I usually do when filling up the main water tank when we get to a site is open up the hot water taps whilst I'm filling it, so the boiler is full and the air locks gone by the time the water tank is topped up.

One more trip for us this side of Christmas; a couple of nights down at Ayr Park at St Ives end of next week. Gary

• Like Like x 2