NHS rules for non residents

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Barclaybasher, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Not been reading posts or posting much lately so I don’t know if this has been discussed recently.

Went to doctors today and told him that I was thinking of spending more time abroad in the next year.

He warned me that if I spent more than 6 months in any calendar year away I would lose eligibility for free treatment and would be billed as a private patient.

He said that scanned passports would record time away/in the UK.

He did say that it was 6 months in any calendar year - does that mean it’s OK if you leave in July and return June the next year? If so most ‘snowbirds’ would be OK anyway but not those who took ‘holidays’ in the year that add up to more than 6 months.

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sounds like a non starter to me... In September I flew to Morocco to join my ship.

I left the ship in the UK by walking off the jetty and getting into a Taxi, so on the basis of that system I am not in the UK right now as my Passport was not scanned.

Just before Xmas I will go out of the UK again on the way to Portugal. So they system will "record" me leaving "again" even though according to it I have never returned since September.

In the course of a normal year I am out of the country for work for 6 months of the year, and then if you add up to 2 months of foreign holidays on top, where does that leave me. As long as you are Domiciled and Resident in the UK and are paying your taxes I cannot see how they can deny access to the NHS.

HMRC......

"If you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days.....
    Even if you're in the UK for fewer than 183 days in a tax year, you might still be UK resident.
    If you come to the UK to live or work on a continuing basis you will be resident from your arrival.
    Factors that affect your residence status include:
    whether you have previously been a UK resident
    where your family, property, business, work, and social connections are
    the pattern and purpose of your visits to the UK
    You are likely to be resident if, over a period of several years, your presence in the UK becomes part of the regular pattern of your life.
    You will not become resident if your visits are for a short-term, temporary purpose only - for example, you come to the UK for a holiday or for a short business project for a foreign employer. Find out more in the section 'Visiting the UK when you are not resident' later in this guide."

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. pollykettle

pollykettle

do not worry

Fly home for a day or 2 not a problem

4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

DAILY MAIL ONLINE today:
    British pensioners living abroad for more than half the year are to be denied free Health Service treatment.
    Such ex-patriates will now have to pay for NHS care back in Britain no matter how much they have contributed in tax and National Insurance over the years.
    The Government move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish costas or southern France.
    Although ex-patriates stand to lose out, the move is largely a response to abuse of the Health Service by asylum seekers and illegal immigrants.
    Thousands of so - called 'health tourists' enjoy free treatment, putting a huge strain on the NHS and making British patients wait for beds.
    Ministers have pledged to crack down on this fraud, using a rule made in 1989 that those who have spent three months abroad have to pay for treatment in the UK.
    The Department of Health has no figures for the number of people who have been made to pay under this rule - evidence that the legislation has not been enforced.
    The period abroad is now being extended to six months - but officials will start to vigorously enforce it and pensioners will have to pay in advance for care. Non-pensioners living abroad will also be denied free NHS care, but the 'disqualifying' period has not yet been set.
    An Age Concern spokesman said: "Pensioners are going to be very concerned about this because of the implications it has, particularly for long-term health care or those who have terminal illnesses and need to be near family members back in Britain.
    "It will also force them into making choices about whether they have treatment in Spain - which ironically would be free under European Union law - or come back home to their family and be forced to pay."
    Up to 500,000 British pensioners are thought to live in other EU states.
    In May, the Centre for Policy Studies revealed that abuse of the NHS by asylum seekers is so widespread it is becoming known as the 'International Health Service'.
    The influential think-tank warned that some 'health tourists' have even run up bills for treatment of £50,000 which the taxpayer is left to shoulder.
    The total cost of HIV treatment and care in 2001 was £165million but last year it soared to £ 345million. An influx of asylum seekers with HIV is thought to be to blame.
    Tory health spokesman Liam Fox said: "There could be no clearer betrayal of hardworking British citizens than to deprive our own pensioners of the use of the NHS to which they have contributed throughout their lives at a time when health tourists and illegal asylum seekers are making use of these very facilities."
    Health Minister John Hutton said the Government is using powers brought in by the Tories. Doubling the period to six months strikes 'a much fairer balance', he added.
    Health officials said guidelines on NHS charges will be issued this week along with consultation on tightening the rules for visitors.

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Hmm, I normally agree with measures this governement bring in but this one is definitely not on.

I can see why they did it but I think it is a step too far.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mentaliss

mentaliss

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We found this out a few months ago. Having lived in Spain for 2 years now we cannot claim EHIC card from UK and are not entitled to any services from the UK, because we moved to Spain ( retired early at 54 years old )......
    We were on the phone to the DWP office for 2 hours ( thank God for Skype ) and even though we both served in the Army and have "paid" our stamp duty fully and cleared all taxes before leaving we cannot claim sod all. There is a "get out clause" we could move back to UK and on entering the port can claim to be homeless and as long as we have no income at all can (a) be housed (b) get full health cover (c) get unemployment benefits in or around 80 quid each per week ( more if we had children up to 200 quid!!!! a week ) ANY ONE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!! from another country!!!!
    The big problem is we both have military pensions and therefore if we did return would only get health cover out of the list above.
    After serving my country for 25 years and my wife for 18 years and have medical problems caused by service time, this SUCKS as you CANNOT leave the UK for any other country or you loose the LOT.

Will we return? not on your life...... why would we ? No council tax, no road tax, no TV license, no hassle and with a great medical service here in Spain ( we got medical cover by becoming residents and a Spanish EHIC card covering US whilst back in the UK ) and a home where the sun shines 320 days a year on average and we can jump in our MH as and when we want..... Enough said.

The UK government does not give a toss about it's own people and is more concerned about so called human rights" of the "gray imports" !!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 10
  8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Whilst in theory this is a blow, the NHS do not charge health tourist now the papaerwork is to complicated and time consuming do you really think they will make an exception and charge ex pats. Get real its a paper exercise.

• Like Like x 2
  9. busby

busby Funster

ALL THAT WILL BE 100% CORRECT, THE DAILY MAIL HAS PRINTED IT.BUSBY:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. busby

busby Funster

There is an election coming..they are vote catching. I thought these rules had applied for at least ten years anyway but has never been applied because the computer system that monitors your arrival and departures is not up to speed. BUSBY:Laughing:

11. mentaliss

mentaliss

QUESTION IS THEN would 'call me DAVE' be considered as a 'betrayer' to the people as his main priority is too keep the people of this country safe and free from turmoil and not worrying when he might become the EU President :Sad:

12. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Mistake one, telling him!:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

After working all my life, paying taxes (still !!) at 68 - and I will still be paying when I am abroad - this just isn't right !

500,000 Brits abroad, lots on the internet - one for an online petition?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Marvellous, pay taxes and NI all your life and then when you retire (NO MORE NI payable on retirement by the way) you cannot get what you have paid for but all the scroungers and tourists and immigrants who have paid sod all get it freely

Easy answer UK Passport (photo identity) and N.I. number proves you have paid
    but then that would take a brain to think of that, something these idiots are sadly lacking unless its PC, HSE and Human Rights Act or being a jobsworth.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  15. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Ok folks you think it s crazy ? Read on :-

Have lived in France for 10 years and continued to pay UK tax on certain pensions under the double taxation agreement with France.

Until official retirement age I paid 8% of our income to the French system to cover medical care ( really the equivalent of NI in UK ) plus an annual policy to cover the 30% not aid by the state. Everything except life threatening illness is only 70% paid for. I still have to cover the 30% with an insurance.

At retirement age UK took over responsibility for my healthcare paying the 70% to the French system should I need treatment. They now issue my European Health Card now too When France did in the past BUT it does not entitle me to treatment in the UK even on holiday there !!

And after 15 years they disenfranchise me too !! But don't stop taking my income tax .

Is that a crazy mixed up mess !! :Rofl1:

16. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I think they are "picking on" British pensioners because they are the only people they can trace and charge.

How can they track all the people who have never lived in England who come here just for free medical treatment or to give birth?????

These are the people they should be targetting not people who have paid into the system their whole life

• Like Like x 2
  17. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

So gap year students who do a 12 month world tour lose their right to NHS treatment on return?

The Engineer who takes a 12 month contract abroad, loses the right to future NHS treatment, on return?

I don't think so.

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

I am sorry but this is not true, but a common misconception that anyone can turn up from any country and claim everything they need. I work for the Welfare Rights Team at my local Council so I receive referrals to help families from various countries and this is definitely not the case. :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I'm sorry but that is what I was told over the phone from the DWP and you can quote me on that one............. FACT - call them from your office tomorrow if you wish ! he did STATE that things would not happen right away, but over a period of time I WOULD GET THE LOT providing I had NO INCOME........................................

20. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

well that explains why you were given the wrong info then, we frequently have to appeal their decisions and invariably win!! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: