New Zealand (Any advice)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ROB1CHELSEA1, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Jane and I are off to New Zealand next year visiting family and looking at property, We will be hiring a motorhome for the three weeks of our trip:thumb: I'm sure someone on the forum has been and done this but i can't locate it anywhere, Just looking for any information that we may find useful:thumb:

Thanks in advance
    Rob&Jane

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Rangi is your man

• Like Like x 1
  3. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Even if you lose Sunday Rob
    You dont have to Emmigrate :Rofl1:

Roger & Sheila.:Smile::BigGrin:

Like Shiftzz I suspect Rangi is the main man here.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ukbill

ukbill Funster

yes he does :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

We spent 3 months in New Zealand touring round in a camper van. We used Britz, they were very good. Thought about buying one and then re selling but means you got to look around more and then stay put somewhere to sell it, all taking up time. We got ours from one of there bases, short taxi ride from airport or I think they might have one in airport now, toured for 3 months doing north island then South Island and dropped it off the day before we flew on from a different location. We love New Zealand and would live there tomorrow if it was possible. Have a good trip. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Just back from our second trip to New Zealand. Didn't hire a motorhome , hired a motorbike both times but we love to tour there. South Island much more scenic so would spend more time there if you have limited time. The highlights of North Island for us were Coromandel , Russell in Bay of Islands and 90 mile beach in the far north.

Lots of companies doing campers at airport so I think is matter of deciding on price . Did meet a couple who hired with Kea on advice of CC and were disappointed so maybe avoid that company. We did consider a van fir our visits but plumped for bike while still able !!

If we had hired would have taken long wheel base guy rather than the big high ones and we have an 8 metre Hobby at home. We looked at the smaller ones when there and decided that would do the job and allow visits to places a big van would not go . Wild camping is possible there too and there are lots of dumping stations all over.

If you have any questions re NZ then do ask :Smile:

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Are you thinking of emigrating Rob?

It's a long way from Stamford Bridge.

8. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Yes we hope to treacle, Jane has dual passport and we're off to a venue in London on sunday to gather info on my status, Had enough here but will rent out our flat for a couple of years then sell when we have found somewhere to settle. Hope to be gone by 2016/2017. Lots of planning to do still but yes that's where we want to go:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. teddybard

On A serious note Good Luck

Roger & Sheila:Smile::BigGrin:

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Good luck with it:thumb:

Wonderful country I have heard.

Loads of weirdo's as well.

Have you met Rangitara?:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  11. mikeman

mikeman Read Only Funster

If you go to www.google.co.nz and then enter "motorhome rental nz" just about all the rental companies appear. Renting a motorhome in NZ is common practice but is very expensive. Sometimes renting a car and using motels can be more cost effective, but you do have to lug the suitcase into a motel each night. I live in NZ but have a 5th wheel which I use in europe.
    No matter what you will enjoy visiting NZ.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

North Island; Bay of Islands, if you are a Golfer do a round there on the course. Auckland, vibrant city, 55kms long and 1.9kms wide in places

Rotorua, smells of rotten eggs, Whakarewarawa is a rip off, if you want to see boiling mud, hot water etc take the road signposted The Lakes, then after, continue on to Awakere for a good soak. Ohope if you are a fisherman, at the end of the beach at the entrance to the harbour, when the Kowhai are running over the Bar, good fun with a 3 1/2 lb Trout line, tremendous fighting Fish, Barbeed or smoked ,tres bon!

Taupo if you're into Trout Fishing, Waiourou for the Military Museum, then for the ride of your life take "Gentle Annie" to;
    Napier if you are into Art Nuvo buildings and Tania the well endowed Maori Maiden on the sea front

Windy Wellington home of the "Cake tin" and the best view in the North Island from the top of Mount Vic

Always save the best till last:thumb: The South Island You've never seen so many shades of green, and I'll gaurantee a WOW around every corner:Cool:

Big drought there at the moment in the North Island (te iki a maui) every thing is brown

• Like Like x 2
  13. rangitira

rangitira Funster

OI!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. teddybard

IZZAT CORNISH
    as in

OI BE A WEIRDO
    :Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Motorhome Hire New zealand

Hi We are away from home at the moment so cannot check my paperwork but from memory we hired from a company called Apollo Campers in Christchurch.
    They were very near to the Airport. We toured for 6 weeks so hired 2 vans for 10days each time no problems with deposit refunds etc.It was a panel van we hired with shower wc etc as the roads out there are pretty rough.
    The only thing to watch I suppose is putting your deposit on to your credit card if your bank charge a % per transaction it could be steep.
    Its 6 years since we were there so things could of changed.
    Have you thought about camper exchange maybe someone out there is looking to tour europe I have looked at the exchange sites for our next trip.
    If you need the contact details of Apollo send me a pm we are back home tomorrow.
    Hope your plans turn out well for you, we envy you, we did look into moving out there but at the time our grandchildren were only young so I had cold feet.
    Happy travels
    Sue:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Saw lots of Apollo vans and they looked excellent. As I said before I would agree a panel van with shower and loo is enough. The couple we met with the van from Kea had hired. Big van, wished they hadn't asked to change and were refused.

Don't forget to go to Hot Water Beach :) dig your own hot tub :)

NZ is surely the most beautiful country in the world !!

• Like Like x 2
  17. mojo

mojo Funster

SWAP

We swapped for 2 months tour of NZ two years ago.All went very well .We used a site called www.motorhomeholidayswap.com. Only cost us the flights and similar van hired for the eight weeks would have been approx £6,000 !
    Used the same site for 6 months in OZ .

I have heard of a NZ couple who come here ,purchase a van,tour for a while and then export because they cost twice as much down there.

18. rangitira

rangitira Funster

No , just copying the words of wisdom of that great Funster, font of worldly eloquance, the great, worldwise, Munchie:notworthy: scribe extrodinair :notworthy:

19. B-well

B-well Funster

Stamford bridge season ticket going with you, !

20. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Just back from a seminar in London and got some good feedback on emigrating to NZ, As jane has got citizenship there is no age rule on when we have to go and i can apply and will get my citizenship easier than i thought (providing im not a murderer or bank robber), just have to prove we're married and show a background of our relationship:thumb: while we were there we sorted out bank accounts and got prices for shipping house contents and cars over.
    All in all it was worth the visit and can now start planning for the near future.

Thanks to all that gave their advise on this thread:thumb:

ROB&JANE
    . chelsea season ticket? good live streaming channel is far cheaper:Rofl1::thumb: