New Zealand (Any advice) (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Jane and I are off to New Zealand next year visiting family and looking at property, We will be hiring a motorhome for the three weeks of our trip:thumb: I'm sure someone on the forum has been and done this but i can't locate it anywhere, Just looking for any information that we may find useful:thumb:

Thanks in advance
Rob&Jane

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Jane and I are off to New Zealand next year visiting family and looking at property, We will be hiring a motorhome for the three weeks of our trip:thumb: I'm sure someone on the forum has been and done this but i can't locate it anywhere, Just looking for any information that we may find useful:thumb:

Thanks in advance
Rob&Jane

Rangi is your man

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Even if you lose Sunday Rob
You dont have to Emmigrate :ROFLMAO:

Roger & Sheila.:Smile:::bigsmile:

Like Shiftzz I suspect Rangi is the main man here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We spent 3 months in New Zealand touring round in a camper van. We used Britz, they were very good. Thought about buying one and then re selling but means you got to look around more and then stay put somewhere to sell it, all taking up time. We got ours from one of there bases, short taxi ride from airport or I think they might have one in airport now, toured for 3 months doing north island then South Island and dropped it off the day before we flew on from a different location. We love New Zealand and would live there tomorrow if it was possible. Have a good trip. :thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just back from our second trip to New Zealand. Didn't hire a motorhome , hired a motorbike both times but we love to tour there. South Island much more scenic so would spend more time there if you have limited time. The highlights of North Island for us were Coromandel , Russell in Bay of Islands and 90 mile beach in the far north.

Lots of companies doing campers at airport so I think is matter of deciding on price . Did meet a couple who hired with Kea on advice of CC and were disappointed so maybe avoid that company. We did consider a van fir our visits but plumped for bike while still able !!

If we had hired would have taken long wheel base guy rather than the big high ones and we have an 8 metre Hobby at home. We looked at the smaller ones when there and decided that would do the job and allow visits to places a big van would not go . Wild camping is possible there too and there are lots of dumping stations all over.

If you have any questions re NZ then do ask :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are you thinking of emigrating Rob?

It's a long way from Stamford Bridge.

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Are you thinking of emigrating Rob?

It's a long way from Stamford Bridge.

Yes we hope to treacle, Jane has dual passport and we're off to a venue in London on sunday to gather info on my status, Had enough here but will rent out our flat for a couple of years then sell when we have found somewhere to settle. Hope to be gone by 2016/2017. Lots of planning to do still but yes that's where we want to go:Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Yes we hope to treacle, Jane has dual passport and we're off to a venue in London on sunday to gather info on my status, Had enough here but will rent out our flat for a couple of years then sell when we have found somewhere to settle. Hope to be gone by 2016/2017. Lots of planning to do still but yes that's where we want to go:Smile:

On A serious note Good Luck

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Good luck with it:thumb:

Wonderful country I have heard.

Loads of weirdo's as well.

Have you met Rangitara?::bigsmile:

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
If you go to www.google.co.nz and then enter "motorhome rental nz" just about all the rental companies appear. Renting a motorhome in NZ is common practice but is very expensive. Sometimes renting a car and using motels can be more cost effective, but you do have to lug the suitcase into a motel each night. I live in NZ but have a 5th wheel which I use in europe.
No matter what you will enjoy visiting NZ.
Mike

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
North Island; Bay of Islands, if you are a Golfer do a round there on the course. Auckland, vibrant city, 55kms long and 1.9kms wide in places

Rotorua, smells of rotten eggs, Whakarewarawa is a rip off, if you want to see boiling mud, hot water etc take the road signposted The Lakes, then after, continue on to Awakere for a good soak. Ohope if you are a fisherman, at the end of the beach at the entrance to the harbour, when the Kowhai are running over the Bar, good fun with a 3 1/2 lb Trout line, tremendous fighting Fish, Barbeed or smoked ,tres bon!

Taupo if you're into Trout Fishing, Waiourou for the Military Museum, then for the ride of your life take "Gentle Annie" to;
Napier if you are into Art Nuvo buildings and Tania the well endowed Maori Maiden on the sea front

Windy Wellington home of the "Cake tin" and the best view in the North Island from the top of Mount Vic

Always save the best till last:thumb: The South Island You've never seen so many shades of green, and I'll gaurantee a WOW around every corner:Cool:

Big drought there at the moment in the North Island (te iki a maui) every thing is brown

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Motorhome Hire New zealand

Hi We are away from home at the moment so cannot check my paperwork but from memory we hired from a company called Apollo Campers in Christchurch.
They were very near to the Airport. We toured for 6 weeks so hired 2 vans for 10days each time no problems with deposit refunds etc.It was a panel van we hired with shower wc etc as the roads out there are pretty rough.
The only thing to watch I suppose is putting your deposit on to your credit card if your bank charge a % per transaction it could be steep.
Its 6 years since we were there so things could of changed.
Have you thought about camper exchange maybe someone out there is looking to tour europe I have looked at the exchange sites for our next trip.
If you need the contact details of Apollo send me a pm we are back home tomorrow.
Hope your plans turn out well for you, we envy you, we did look into moving out there but at the time our grandchildren were only young so I had cold feet.
Happy travels
Sue:thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Saw lots of Apollo vans and they looked excellent. As I said before I would agree a panel van with shower and loo is enough. The couple we met with the van from Kea had hired. Big van, wished they hadn't asked to change and were refused.

Don't forget to go to Hot Water Beach :) dig your own hot tub :)

NZ is surely the most beautiful country in the world !!

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
SWAP

We swapped for 2 months tour of NZ two years ago.All went very well .We used a site called www.motorhomeholidayswap.com. Only cost us the flights and similar van hired for the eight weeks would have been approx £6,000 !
Used the same site for 6 months in OZ .

I have heard of a NZ couple who come here ,purchase a van,tour for a while and then export because they cost twice as much down there.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
IZZAT CORNISH
as in

OI BE A WEIRDO
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No , just copying the words of wisdom of that great Funster, font of worldly eloquance, the great, worldwise, Munchie:notworthy: scribe extrodinair :notworthy:

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Just back from a seminar in London and got some good feedback on emigrating to NZ, As jane has got citizenship there is no age rule on when we have to go and i can apply and will get my citizenship easier than i thought (providing im not a murderer or bank robber), just have to prove we're married and show a background of our relationship:thumb: while we were there we sorted out bank accounts and got prices for shipping house contents and cars over.
All in all it was worth the visit and can now start planning for the near future.

Thanks to all that gave their advise on this thread:thumb:

ROB&JANE
. chelsea season ticket? good live streaming channel is far cheaper:ROFLMAO::thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just back from a seminar in London and got some good feedback on emigrating to NZ, As jane has got citizenship there is no age rule on when we have to go and i can apply and will get my citizenship easier than i thought (providing im not a murderer or bank robber), just have to prove we're married and show a background of our relationship:thumb: while we were there we sorted out bank accounts and got prices for shipping house contents and cars over.
All in all it was worth the visit and can now start planning for the near future.

Thanks to all that gave their advise on this thread:thumb:

ROB&JANE
. chelsea season ticket? good live streaming channel is far cheaper:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Chelsea Ticket Cant speak Russian Sorry.:ROFLMAO:
After the CRB:whatthe:
Dont Mention Motorhome Fun:Eeek:
well you do want to get in.?

but take a brand new Motorhome with you:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Forgot to Mention

If You ever find one you agree on::bigsmile:
and [HI]dont mention you know Rangi:[/HI]Rofl1:

Especially if you go to the Manakau pub in south Auckland and talk to "Super Sel" (don't know if he's still there, it's the pub from "Once were Warriors" a real Snake Pit!!!:Sad:) and ask him about LAE, in PNG and the time we went fishing with gelignite, Drunk as a skunk he almost killed Mk2 and me:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back