New website for finding a travel partner (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, i would like to travel with someone, anywhere, been going around a bit ungrounded fir a while, where are twin lakes please. pondfairy
Twin lakes is a campsite in the south of France a few miles north of Bordeaux. And we have a meet there this September. See rallies section for more info .Roy.

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
vwt4 trident 1995 hightop
Exp
5 years
Twin lakes is a campsite in the south of France a few miles north of Bordeaux. And we have a meet there this September. See rallies section for more info .Roy.
would anyone be prepared to travel from uk with me, or is that a hassle, haven't done france on my own before, speak french, but its the driving i am not au fait with. pondfairy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
would anyone be prepared to travel from uk with me, or is that a hassle, haven't done france on my own before, speak french, but its the driving i am not au fait with. pondfairy
I would be happy if you wanted to tag along with me ( miserable old git ) lol. If you want I will be crossing by ferry Portsmouth to le Havre 31st August and taking a lazy trip South. Roy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
I don't think I would like to share my van either but would love to have someone else to travel with to gain experience of travelling not only England but abroad.
@Alfieplustwo i would like to join your womens group and go travelling, do any of you fancy coming down to cornwall brfore then. pondfairy

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
I would be happy if you wanted to tag along with me ( miserable old git ) lol. If you want I will be crossing by ferry Portsmouth to le Havre 31st August and taking a lazy trip South. Roy.
@Khizzie miserable old git? , do you need a carer then haha

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
Hi
@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, i would like to travel with someone, anywhere, been going around a bit ungrounded fir a while, where are twin lakes please. pondfairy
pondfairy
Hi pondfairy,don't know if you've joint the group yet but I've been thinking for ages of going to Cornwall but keep putting it off as I'm on my own and it's the fear of the unknown about where to park having never been there so would love to meet up with you.Whats the chance of wild camping there keep booking on sits gets quite expensive. Not mean but would love my money to take me to more places than paying on sites.Sonia

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
@Khizzie miserable old git? , do you need a carer then haha
@Khizzie have you travelled with new people before?
Hi

pondfairy

Hi pondfairy,don't know if you've joint the group yet but I've been thinking for ages of going to Cornwall but keep putting it off as I'm on my own and it's the fear of the unknown about where to park having never been there so would love to meet up with you.Whats the chance of wild camping there keep booking on sits gets quite expensive. Not mean but would love my money to take me to more places than paying on sites.Sonia
@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, yes, i have two or three places down near st. just, penzance area, all under £5, with water and basic loo facilities. i would like to go somewhere up county and start being more adventurous, i look at the rallies but am not sure which ones to do, i am in my van from may onwards whilst holiday letting my house. let me know if you want to plan something,

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, yes, i have two or three places down near st. just, penzance area, all under £5, with water and basic loo facilities. i would like to go somewhere up county and start being more adventurous, i look at the rallies but am not sure which ones to do, i am in my van from may onwards whilst holiday letting my house. let me know if you want to plan something,
Hiya ,not travelled with newbies but have travelled with other funsters . .we normally travel together til we stop and then do our own thing rather than impinge on others outings unless it's by mutual consent. Great sometimes to share the delights of the places we visit .. other than that I am happy to do my own thing ..Roy

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Hiya ,not travelled with newbies but have travelled with other funsters . .we normally travel together til we stop and then do our own thing rather than impinge on others outings unless it's by mutual consent. Great sometimes to share the delights of the places we visit .. other than that I am happy to do my own thing ..Roy
@Khizzie that sounds friendly, i would like to be more adventurous, it's just the starting bit, and a friendly face. do you go away all winter

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
@Khizzie that sounds friendly, i would like to be more adventurous, it's just the starting bit, and a friendly face. do you go away all winter
Dont go away much in winter . Normally start off March/April and come home for Xmas to see the great grandchildren and children. I have been solo now for five years since I lost my Kate to cancer. Took a while to adjust but now I enjoy going solo a d meeting new people ,it's great because they are ships in the night and you can go hour own merry way afterwards.. hope that makes some kind of sense to you .Roy

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
Hi Pip, hope that is your name, let me know when you are booked and give me the address I will look into it. Is it on a caravan site,Price is good. Joy said she may join us but we are a little concerned about narrow roads and the width, are they that bad,not very good on them always worried in case I meet someone coming in the other direction and cannot pass or damage my van. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
Hi
Dont go away much in winter . Normally start off March/April and come home for Xmas to see the great grandchildren and children. I have been solo now for five years since I lost my Kate to cancer. Took a while to adjust but now I enjoy going solo a d meeting new people ,it's great because they are ships in the night and you can go hour own merry way afterwards.. hope that makes some kind of sense to you .Roy
Roy, I lost my husband in November 2016 with cancer I am going through what you have already been through. Travelling alone doesn't bother me as I have two little yorkies and my husbands shizsu to keep me company it's jus knowing where to go and how to get there as this is all new to me.I tend to follow satnav and always print off the route otherwise I'm hopeless never liked reading books or have had to read a map as husband did all that.Going to France in September with a group of woman hopefully get my confidence to go further as I would then travel to Spain or further for the winter. Love the sun hate winter.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi

Roy, I lost my husband in November 2016 with cancer I am going through what you have already been through. Travelling alone doesn't bother me as I have two little yorkies and my husbands shizsu to keep me company it's jus knowing where to go and how to get there as this is all new to me.I tend to follow satnav and always print off the route otherwise I'm hopeless never liked reading books or have had to read a map as husband did all that.Going to France in September with a group of woman hopefully get my confidence to go further as I would then travel to Spain or further for the winter. Love the sun hate winter.
Life gets easier but memories never go away. You have a new life now and such adventures to come in your new found funsters .you will love the ease of driving in France. . As i have already stated somewhere I will be travelling beginning September to twin lakes via le Havre then stopping at Sees municipal campsite for a couple of days before wandering down to Soumeras for a week before moving on to to Parc Verger ( Champagnac Riviera ) Limousine. Fir another week so hope to meet up with many of you on both the trip down south and on the sites themselves . Graham and Jean (@JaG)). Have a great line up of entertainment at twin lakes for us all. .so relax and enjoy the whole experience. Roy

Last edited:

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Hi Pip, hope that is your name, let me know when you are booked and give me the address I will look into it. Is it on a caravan site,Price is good. Joy said she may join us but we are a little concerned about narrow roads and the width, are they that bad,not very good on them always worried in case I meet someone coming in the other direction and cannot pass or damage my van. Look forward to hearing from you.
@Alfieplustwo its a field belonging to a farm, informal and local, can be windy, i will check opening dates, roads:- b 3306 its the most beautiful road in cornwall. look up on google, morvah schoolhoyse is the place to lookk up, the field is on the opposite side of the road, us your van really giant size ?

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
@Khizzie makes sense to me roy, but i like to keep in touch with poeople i get on well with.

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
@Alfieplustwo its a field belonging to a farm, informal and local, can be windy, i will check opening dates, roads:- b 3306 its the most beautiful road in cornwall. look up on google, morvah schoolhoyse is the place to lookk up, the field is on the opposite side of the road, us your van really giant size ?
Thanks .keep in touch.

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Hi

@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, me again, is the group of women going to france a closed group, or is ther room for a cornish gypsy in a diddy little van?

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
@Alfieplustwo alfie, we are quite used to vans here, we get huge coaches on the b3306' its always ok. i would meet you and dtuve in front with flashing lights, haha, seriously its ok.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As an aside can I just offer some advice to solos with RHD drive vehicle going to France. To make life so much easier get sanef toll tag. It will save so much bother of having to get out and go around to pay. With the toll tag you just drive up to barrier and it will lift and your.account will be debited the correct cost. Roy.

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
@Alfieplustwo hi alfie, me again, is the group of women going to france a closed group, or is ther room for a cornish gypsy in a diddy little van?
No it's not a closed group, go into the Rally and look for Twin Lakes it's in September, a lot of the woman are travelling on the 2nd of September, I'm going on the ferry as it's cheaper for me with three dogs. I I've also used m Tesco vouchers.check it out. Good luck hopefully you will be able to go.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
S so do I , but the joy of motorhoming allows you to just say hi and have a drink and say hope to meet you again somewhere with no strings attached. Roy.
Travelling together can mean making life long friends too Roy. (Popeye and Jackie in your case!)

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
No it's not a closed group, go into the Rally and look for Twin Lakes it's in September, a lot of the woman are travelling on the 2nd of September, I'm going on the ferry as it's cheaper for me with three dogs. I I've also used m Tesco vouchers.check it out. Good luck hopefully you will be able to go.
@Alfieplustwo how amazing, and scary, could i meet at the ferry port and travel with others, and are you going on somewhere else after wards.

Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
@Alfieplustwo how amazing, and scary, could i meet at the ferry port and travel with others, and are you going on somewhere else after wards.
We don't know what we are doing until we get there,you never know let's see how confident we are. I've booked like others a one way ticket then we can please ourselves. I'm scared but are now excited as I've booked, no going back.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread with interest and wondering why I did not look/find it earlier. I have just returned from my first solo adventure in France and it was amazing and SO much easier than I had anticipated. Prior to going I had wound myself up a bit about all kinds of things......planning routes to the nth degree, however, once I was there it all went out of the window, as the joy of motor homing is to have the freedom to go wherever you want, which is exactly what I did.

The biggest problem I had initially was that my brand new Garmin Camper Satnav did not work when I came out of the Eurotunnel. It would appear that it only had North Europe loaded and was bloody useless for France. Three days in, I met a couple going back to the UK who sold me their old but working Tom Tom, and from thereon in, all was fine. Amazon said the Garmin came pre-loaded with lifetime all of Europe maps which is misleading (well for me anyway).

I did a mixture of Aires/Campsites and wild camping and never felt overwhelmed or unsafe, although it was a big learning curve. For instance, I got caught out when an Aire is right next door to a municipal site, with both charging the same, yet the campsite has all the facilities you need. I noticed this in quite a few places. I also found that some Aires were very expensive, so I moved on somewhere else. Le Touquet now charges €15 for parking and an extra €2 for water or electricity!!!

The roads are a dream to drive on, and not at all busy (at this time of year) compared to the UK. On a couple of occasions I got stuck behind a big piece of farm machinery travelling at 20kph, and as I couldn't safely see past to overtake, I just had to relax and wait until it turned off.....which is no big deal really.

It was a fabulous 3 weeks covering nearly 2,000 miles and I can't wait to go back. It would be nice to share some of these experiences so I will keep watching this space to see what you guys are planning.

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Yorkshire which reminds me that the UK is also a fantastic place to explore.

Have a fab day everyone xx

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the info, I'm going to France for the first time in September and feeling apprehensive, my thought is you can think for ever, just get on and do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back