New Tyres

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mr Ed, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

We changed our tyres about 20,000 miles ago (aprox 2 years) got what we thought were the best Michelin Agilis Camping,the rear are fine but the front have worn down and need replacing.Thought I would go for Hancook all season witch are about £30 each cheaper.any thoughts? and any ideas who are cheapest online as my tame mech
    anic will fit.BTW van is 2004 Ducato tyres are 215/70 R15.

Thank's Martin

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I've heard that the Hancock are very good. Thought your current tyres should have lasted longer.
    Are they the right load rating?
    Is your tracking OK?

3. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Yes Sue we thought the same,tracking fine (been checked) not sure what you mean about load rating?

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I have Hankook RA10 all season tyres on my van they have been on for 10,000 miles, just checked the thread depth front 8mm rear 10mm.

5. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

So your fronts are wearing quicker than backs.Seem strange to me as most of the weight is in the back by a large margin.

6. ericroy

ericroy Funster

No, front wheel drive vehicles tend to wear the front tyres quicker. Plus if you brake heavily, the weight is thrown forward onto the front tyres and I suspect these characteristics have more effect on the wear rate than the static loading.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Load rating does define the carrying capacity of the tyre, and very often you can go up a size and load rating and get enhanced life.

We went up from 215 to 225 on the Mercedes, 118 load rating on the front two and 121 on the rear four.

Yokohama rear and Conti Vanco on the front.

See if a 225/70R15 is available and what load rating you can go up to.

Camskill have always done us right on supply-only for tyres.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. tony_g

tony_g Funster

We uprated to 225/70R15 112 as part of an SVTech weight upgrade. The Agilis Campings do about 24,000 on the front but do replace them before they get down to absolute legal minimum. Word of caution, the size upgrade does cause issues on the rear when it comes to changing a wheel. That extra bit of width makes clearing the skirt on the rear a bit of a bugger. Event Tyres have always done a good deal for me and fit on your drive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Normal on front wheel drive, last motorhome was the same as with last 8 front wheel drive cars.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have raved about Hankook tyres for a few years @Mr Ed :)
    SOOO much quieter, SOOO much better grip !!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

I had four Hankook tyres supplied and fitted on Monday by the AA for £421. Size 225/70 R16 C

Not driven on them yet, don't want to get them dirty :ROFLMAO:

Rob(y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Well I'v ordered Hankook optimo £79.50 each quite a saving on Michelin will see if there as good as John say's time will tell.Thank's for your responses.
    (y)

13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

HanKook are great tyres. My work Ducato (2.0 litre SWB) used to have Good Year Cargo tyres and they were utter shite for grip, even dew on level grass could cause wheelspin at tickover, I kid you not! Changed them last year for Hankook RA08s all round and its transformed the ride, noise and grip. Just last weekend I used it to move the car trailer at Loton Park Hillclimb from rough ground to a spot where I could load the car and they were superb, the only thing that caused wheelspin was when the handbrake locked on the trailer during a reversing uphill manouvre, trying to drag it back down the hill and it wouldn't have it but I did have to give it really big licks on the loud pedal to break traction and that was on long grass, just proves the trailer brakes are ok I suppose.

D.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. SMB

SMB Funster

My front tyres wear a lot quicker with my front-wheel drive van even though there is a lot more weight at the rear, so I had them changed around a few months ago. Also, after advice on MHF, I emailed Continental who sent me the optimum tyre pressures for the size of my tyre and weight on the front and rear axles. Don't know if that has helped but it was better than the bog-standard Fiat recommendation of 5.5 bar front and back

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

WHAT PRESSURE ARE YOU USING ON FRONTS JOHN (sorry to shout but left the cap lock on)?Don't think 80psi would be right for and I have a feeling it might be a case of trial and error.Martin

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We had Continental Vanco Camper tyres all round on our Autosleeper. 22000 miles later we still had 5-6 mm tread on the fronts. Pressure was 5bars front 5.5 rear. The rears had hardly worn at all.
    Tyre wear can vary considerable between different drivers, the more aggressive you are on the pedals, the more your tyres wear.

17. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Front tyres always wear out more quickly whether RWD or FWD, 80% (?) of the braking is done at the front and the fronts twist this way and that whereas the rears go in more or less straight lines all the time. Plus of course under severe braking all the weight is thrown forward.

This was true with my 1960s VW Beetle where most of the weight is at the back or at least that's how it seemed on wet roads.

18. Billggski

Billggski Funster

I always use campervan tyres, 225/75/15 were £102 fitted with high pressure valves. (Which are necessary but few tyre fitters stock them)
    It is a controversial point, but why save less than a tankful of diesel to fit white van tyres when proper tyres for motorhomes are available?

19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I think the answer is .... because they are not essential.
    We have vanco fourseasons 2 ... they're great for us ad provide a good level of grip in adverse conditions. They are the correct load rating, correct pressures as reccomended by conti ...
    I also don't believe they were cheaper than camper tyres ...
    So... why use camper tyres ?
    Also are high pressure valves required when there is no unusually high pressures?
    Standard oem valves should be fine surely?

20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

What's the difference between your Camper tyres, and my 10x ply 116 (1250kgs) load rated commercial tyres?

If our MH was to spend several months of the year sat in storage, I might consider the (so called) benefits of Camper tyres.

Cheers,

Jock. :)