Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£40.00 or 4000p 10% of £400 Thats as technical as I get these days.
They are similar to anti wrinkle creams Jock . Because your worth it £40 a small Jar
Preparation X large tube of £1.40p;)
Both will shrink wrinkles:LOL:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
And having just read that crap from Michelin I will continue to do as I have done all my life.
I sometimes despair at the rubbish that company puts out as being correct.
My take on this is that Michelin's advice is quite likely correct for the vast majority of people that sit behind the steering wheel in a modern car. I'm not sure that I would use the word 'driver' to describe them.

A properly trained driver, who understands vehicle handling, who probably cut their teeth in pre-1980 vehicles, who drives a variety of different vehicle types, may well find a positive benefit from the enhanced grip & traction at the front. Just be confident that you can handle oversteer correctly & instinctively.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I believe Continental say the same thing, new tyres on the rear.
Apparently test have shown that if you front tyres loose grip it is easier to control with steering corrections than if your( heavier axle weight) rear tyres loose grip and you see your rear end pass you first!

To be honest I am tempted to believe both the professional tyre manufacturers Michilen and Continental.

As we will be doing a south of France and return trip soon, have just had all my tyres replaced as the front were down to 4-5mm ( 25,500miles) and all the tyres were 6 years old!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If you're only replacing one pair of tyres then the new ones should go on the rear, always! The reason is simple, in standing water there is a high chance of aquaplaning and the tyres with the least tread are most likely to aquaplane first. If those tyres are on the rear then the tail can break away which is very difficult to control, especially on front wheel drive. If the fronts have the least tread then they are more likely to be the ones to aquaplane in standing water and understeer is much much easier to control, simply lift off the loud pedal and the front will come back to you. In severe aquaplaning if the front washes out on you the vehicle will try to go straight on but unless the conditions are extreme lifting off will bring it back under control. A wayward tail end will take most drivers completely by surprise and result in a panic reaction, lifting off can aggravate a tail slide in both front and rear wheel drive vehicles as it has a similar effect to applying the brakes on the drive axle. Where that axle is the front one it can push the front into the curve more forcing the rear to slide out more, where the rear axle is the driven one it can break traction completely and lead to a big spin, not a fun experience in any vehicle but definitely one to be avoided in multi tonne motorhomes.

D.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And it is for all the reasons you guys give that I do not like fitting new tyres on the front
For the first hundred miles or so, unless you are fitting Avons on ( who use a different release agent that is water based ) new tyres have all the grip of banana skins..
Brian.. no idea what you know mate.. I only know what I know..
I think you fit tyres ?
How much R and D you been involved in ? I know how much I have done over the years and for what companies too..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So your R and D would have showed you that no matter where you fitted your hankooks... the guy with the contis is almost certainly going to be better off in the wet. :) (but slightly poorer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never had any connections with Hankook at all.. :)

Just ( well about 2 months ago ) got rid of some Pirelli off the van.. Sick of them sliding around all the time !
Currently running the new(ish ) Avons .. so far so good.

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Just read the above thread and it is correct that new tyres should be fitted to the rear of the vehicle whether or not the driving wheels. The science behind it is simply that in the very rare case of a blowout happening, the wheel that blows changes diameter rapidly and causes the wheel to rotate much quicker. If this happens to a front steering wheel the driver can steer into the developing skid caused by the increase in speed of the damaged wheel and has a very good chance of keeping control. On the rear very little chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back