LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome to the forum Muriel. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Plenty of folk use their vans all year long, but we're a bit soft and tend to travel mostly from early spring to late autumn. However, as others have mentioned it's a good idea to use it at least occasionally in the winter.

I normally try to pick a bright sunny crisp day and choose a local beauty spot somewhere to park up with a good book and a picnic. No need to fill up the water system, just take bottled water for the day. Everything else is easy to use if you want to - cooker, heating etc. Then back home in the evening.

In any case, good luck with your new adventure.

Mike

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Not on her own. One two other FUNsters in the loose convoy. As there will be this year.
Oh I was thinking, how scarey. Still brave even so.
Welcome to the forum Muriel. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Plenty of folk use their vans all year long, but we're a bit soft and tend to travel mostly from early spring to late autumn. However, as others have mentioned it's a good idea to use it at least occasionally in the winter.

I normally try to pick a bright sunny crisp day and choose a local beauty spot somewhere to park up with a good book and a picnic. No need to fill up the water system, just take bottled water for the day. Everything else is easy to use if you want to - cooker, heating etc. Then back home in the evening.

In any case, good luck with your new adventure.

Mike
Thank you Mike, I will take your advice and the bottled water is a good idea too. I'm sure I'm going to be a bit soft too and can only see me motor homing from April til September. Hope to meet you guys during that time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don't forget to drain your hot water boiler, if you don't know how just ask and you will get a very speedy response from loads of people, also remove the fuse to your water pump and leave the taps open, that way you won't have any problems with them freezing up.

You'll soon get used to it, don't worry, just ask if you need help.
Thanks for the advice. I will go through the process of wintering with handbook in hand soon, and it's nice to know where to ask questions when I get stuck, and no doubt I will.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Muriel, sorry to hear of you loss, a brave but very good move to get yourself a motorhome, the other good move finding motorhome Fun, as you have already found out lots of lovely Solo Lady's getting out and about in their motorhomes, but at the many fun rallies everyone joins in together as well. Good time over the winter to use the search button and look for various threads you may have questions about so much shared knowledge out there, and if course as a Fully Paid Up Funster you can ask as many questions as you want.

:welcomesign:
Hi Carol,I'm really looking forward to the spring now, I've had such lovely messages and can't wait to join in at rallies and meet you all.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the advice. I will go through the process of wintering with handbook in hand soon, and it's nice to know where to ask questions when I get stuck, and no doubt I will.
You will be amazed how responsive Funsters are on the forum if you've got any questions, issues or problems concerning your van.

So just ask away whenever you like about anything - whether it's something really simple, or perhaps more complex. Everybody is keen to help each other. I've received lots of great help from here.

Mike

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Muriel, sorry to hear of you loss, a brave but very good move to get yourself a motorhome, the other good move finding motorhome Fun, as you have already found out lots of lovely Solo Lady's getting out and about in their motorhomes, but at the many fun rallies everyone joins in together as well. Good time over the winter to use the search button and look for various threads you may have questions about so much shared knowledge out there, and if course as a Fully Paid Up Funster you can ask as many questions as you want.

:welcomesign:
Sorry Carol, I've only just noticed your message and thank you for your kind words. I've had a brilliant response on this thread today, so many kind and encourages messages. I'm feeling better about my decision to buy a MH already! Hope we will meet one day.

Annie29

Free Member
Oct 18, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Self Build on Renault
Exp
On and off for 5 years
sHaving recently been widowed, I decided to buy a motorhome but not sure I'm brave enough to go it alone. I'd love to hear the experiences of others about first travelling alone, it may give me the push I need. I'm not considering using my motorhome until spring 2017.
Welcome Muriel. I'm a very newbie also. But I hope you will use your motorhome before spring - give it a try, I'm sure you won't regret it!

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome Muriel. I'm a very newbie also. But I hope you will use your motorhome before spring - give it a try, I'm sure you won't regret it!
Hello Annie. Many thanks for your welcome. I'm going to get used to driving it locally first so maybe I will get going before spring. Anyone would think it's the size if a tank! It's a 2 berth ace Capri, I'm just being a woose I suppose. Hope to see you on a meet some day. Best regards. Muriel

Annie29

Free Member
Oct 18, 2016
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Self Build on Renault
Exp
On and off for 5 years
Not a woose at all. Take it in the way that best suits you. We're all wooses in one area or another! Hope to meet up somewhere, sometime. I often stay on the caravan club site in Bristol - quite close to me (40 ish miles), and daughter lives in Bristol. Happy campervanning.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Muriel, :welcomesign:

Missed your first post but just got up to speed reading through the welcome committee greetings.
I do agree that getting to meets is the best way to move on as a singly, I have attended only a couple myself but it was really encouraging to feel that I was amongst friends even if only for a day or two.
The girls on the forum here seem to have quite a group thing going so I imagine that a little gentle persuasion from them will perhaps get you out sooner than you had anticipated.
Whatever and whenever you do it, have fun.

Norman.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@TUCANO Thank you Norman. I've a few things to sort first with the MH one being I must phone the RAC tomorrow for recovery cover! Don't really want to practice driving it without. Anyway, hopefully, I will be out before the spring, although how does one find out what's on and where I wonder. Thanks for your encouragement, it really does help.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Welcome Muriel........to find out what and where keep checking the 'rallies and meets' section.... particularly the 'rally planning and discussion' so that you can keep up with whats happening. Hopefully meet up at a rally sometime...
Also in case you are not yet familiar with the workings of the forum.....if something does take your fancy click on the 'watch' option (on the top right hand side) to get alerts when someone else posts something on that topic.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you scammelswife,

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I went over to Germany 10 days in June done touring on m/cycle but first time in van.Just took my time and stayed on Aires/Steplatz .No problems -alawys made sure others were overnighting as well to feel more secure.Always someone to chat to including on here if any problems arise .Did a lot of walking/cycling and found plenty of places of interest as I get a bit bored easily. Going next May hopefully to Poland and perhaps down to Croatia then back home.You will find plenty of nice friendly people on your travels just be a bit streetwise as you do back home and all should go well.Good luck and happy travelling.Reguards Chris..

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome Muriel
I bought mine last November and do most of the driving and yes its unnerving to start with but the more you do it the more you get used to it. I was told I looked like I was driving an articulated wagon....well to me it felt like it lol! I am hoping to be able to join the Solo Clubs not because I am single but that my partner does not like Motor homing so its going to be me on my own a lot of the times (not sure where I stand on that ruling).

Hi Muriel .. am one of the many solo females .. we meet many people and enjoy ourselves .. we arn't looking for relationships but find very special friendship bonds.

I will add you to our ladies only banter list .. and it is up to you if you wish to join in.

Please don't feel alone .. we are here for you and will get you ghrough your new adventure. Joy

please can I join your ladies banter list. :wondering:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome Muriel
I bought mine last November and do most of the driving and yes its unnerving to start with but the more you do it the more you get used to it. I was told I looked like I was driving an articulated wagon....well to me it felt like it lol! I am hoping to be able to join the Solo Clubs not because I am single but that my partner does not like Motor homing so its going to be me on my own a lot of the times (not sure where I stand on that ruling).

please can I join your ladies banter list. :wondering:
Hi Giddy Lynn ... will contact Cal as she knows how to do it
:) x

@Cal54 @Wendo

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Giddy Lynn, thanks for your welcome. It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling intrepid about driving a MH alone. Be good to meet you on one of the meets. I live in Suffolk/Norfolk border so i will probably have a long journey to the majority of meets. Hope to speak to you again on flloras., where the ladies are so friendly and helpful.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes ,as others have said you need to get used to it locally , when it is quieter & you will soon get used to the size,driving it , etc. As @hilldweller said it is also a good idea to overnight in it at home so that you know how it all works.I had to do that a few times to get the dog used to being in it. :D

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I used my mh for the first time last weekend and I have to say, driving it the 140 miles was easier than I thought. It's thanks to the ladies on the fllora thread that made the meet with them a very successful one. All 7 of them made me very welcome and I had a lovely 3 days at Rutland. Thanks ladies.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I used my mh for the first time last weekend and I have to say, driving it the 140 miles was easier than I thought. It's thanks to the ladies on the fllora thread that made the meet with them a very successful one. All 7 of them made me very welcome and I had a lovely 3 days at Rutland. Thanks ladies.
So glad that it all went well! You've got the bug so keep going!

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie

Hi Muriel
I was gutted I couldn't meet you ladies in York due to me being ill, but hoping I can do the February one if its at the beginning of Feb and of course, weather permitting.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad you made the effort to go Muriel. You took your first steps in the right direction. Hopefully there will be no stopping you now. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back