Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
sHaving recently been widowed, I decided to buy a motorhome but not sure I'm brave enough to go it alone. I'd love to hear the experiences of others about first travelling alone, it may give me the push I need. I'm not considering using my motorhome until spring 2017.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Muriel Welcome to Fun. There are lots of solos on here and both men and women @movan @Cal54 . It's a great way to meet folk. Come along to a meet and get to know folk. Not much happening in winter though.
We posted together Sandra!! Great minds think alike?!!:)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Lots of solo lady motor homers on here, so welcome Muriel! Some intrepid ladies drive vast distances solo - as far as Morocco! However, at Fun meets there are lots of friendly people you will soon get to know.

Best regards

Catherine

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Helo Irnbru, Thank you for you kind words of encouragement. I will try to get out next spring but don't really know where to start. It's not just the turning up on your own, its also being new to driving a motorhome and alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Catherine and Anthea, I feel this is breaking the ice. Maybe getting to know folk on this forum will be a good starting point for me.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Muriel, although I've been a member on fun for a very long time we never went on any meets. Since my wife died, almost 3 years ago, I started going on meets. I made lots of friends and it got me out of a rut. Even met a special someone ;)
Don't leave it til spring, get yourself out there and use it. (y)
Terry

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Terry, I have put my name down for a meet April but perhaps I will manage to get out before then.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Muriel .. am one of the many solo females .. we meet many people and enjoy ourselves .. we arn't looking for relationships but find very special friendship bonds.

I will add you to our ladies only banter list .. and it is up to you if you wish to join in.

Please don't feel alone .. we are here for you and will get you ghrough your new adventure. Joy

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Joy, Yes I would like to be added to the banter list, sounds like it could be fun. I'm looking forward to meeting you all too.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Joy, Yes I would like to be added to the banter list, sounds like it could be fun. I am looking forward to meeting you all too.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Have added you sunshine. We are there to support each other when feeling low .. and laugh when things are good.

If you keep posting on this forum you will soon get to grips wigh it and it becomes like an invisible friend ...

....... but don't tell my psychiatrist that. ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm not considering using my motorhome until spring 2017.

Don't do that. At least spend a night or two in it, once a month, even if in your own drive. Use everything. Cook and shower then when the spring comes you know you are ready for the road.

But if it gets down to freezing temps take precautions with your water system. It's all in here if you search.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Joy, I've acknowledged my enrolment! Your encouragement and welcome is much appreciated....

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don't do that. At least spend a night or two in it, once a month, even if in your own drive. Use everything. Cook and shower then when the spring comes you know you are ready for the road.

But if it gets down to freezing temps take precautions with your water system. It's all in here if you search.

Thanks Brian, maybe I will consider your sound advice. sound like a plan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Muriel, it's a really good thing to hit the QUOTE button, that way we know who you are replying to. So many times a few people post together and then it's not easy to work out which post they are replying to.

But this time you did not add a reply.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Welcome Muriel, plenty of us singles on here and I understand how it can be quite daunting to just turn up on your first rally, but I'm sure if you can just take that first step then you will never look back(y);):)

Ps. BTW I've yet to do it on my own and I'm apprehensive as well:unsure:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
Brian (hilldweller) gave you some very sound advice. If a MH is left standing for months unused it will deteriorate, so you need to take it out for a drive during the winter - for example, just leaving it standing in the same position for months can adversely affect the sidewalls of the tyres. which could cause a blowout in the future. Also, as Brian says, (he does know what he is talking about) read your handbook and drain your water system because, if the water freezes, a burst pipe in a MH can be dramatic and devastating at the same time.

This may sound frightening but don't worry too much. Owning a MH has far more upsides than downsides but you need to be made aware of the downsides and take precautions so that you are free to enjoy all the upsides.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
View attachment 131216 and a warm welcome from us.
Brian (hilldweller) gave you some very sound advice. If a MH is left standing for months unused it will deteriorate, so you need to take it out for a drive during the winter - for example, just leaving it standing in the same position for months can adversely affect the sidewalls of the tyres. which could cause a blowout in the future. Also, as Brian says, (he does know what he is talking about) read your handbook and drain your water system because, if the water freezes, a burst pipe in a MH can be dramatic and devastating at the same time.

This may sound frightening but don't worry too much. Owning a MH has far more upsides than downsides but you need to be made aware of the downsides and take precautions so that you are free to enjoy all the upsides.

Thanks very much for your advice, I must remember to take it out in winter but since it's not stored at home it will not be a reminder for me. I diary note may be the answer. I didn't think about draining the water, so once again, thanks for that, must consult the handbook though!

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Muriel, it's a really good thing to hit the QUOTE button, that way we know who you are replying to. So many times a few people post together and then it's not easy to work out which post they are replying to.

But this time you did not add a reply.

I thought I did add a reply using a quote button Brian, oh dear! I'm a complete beginner at using forums as well as motorhomes! sorry, I hope this reply works. Anyway, my reply was to thank you for your sound advice its much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought I did add a reply using a quote button Brian, oh dear! I'm a complete beginner at using forums as well as motorhomes! sorry, I hope this reply works. Anyway, my reply was to thank you for your sound advice its much appreciated.

There you go, second attempt and perfection.

Getting out and about in your MH is nearly as easy.

Do drive it locally to get used to the size.

You are very lucky to live where you do, so close to the channel. It might be a premature to be thinking this but it is so easy over the channel, less traffic and thousands more places to stop. The UK is OK, grand in places but mainland Europe is exciting. We have one solo female all geared up for the ultimate excitement, her second ( at least ) trip to Morocco, leaving in January. It's exciting, cheap and the weather is the best you can get in Jan. This could be you in 2018.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
sHaving recently been widowed, I decided to buy a motorhome but not sure I'm brave enough to go it alone. I'd love to hear the experiences of others about first travelling alone, it may give me the push I need. I'm not considering using my motorhome until spring 2017.

Hi Muriel, sorry to hear of you loss, a brave but very good move to get yourself a motorhome, the other good move finding motorhome Fun, as you have already found out lots of lovely Solo Lady's getting out and about in their motorhomes, but at the many fun rallies everyone joins in together as well. Good time over the winter to use the search button and look for various threads you may have questions about so much shared knowledge out there, and if course as a Fully Paid Up Funster you can ask as many questions as you want.

:welcomesign:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Don't forget to drain your hot water boiler, if you don't know how just ask and you will get a very speedy response from loads of people, also remove the fuse to your water pump and leave the taps open, that way you won't have any problems with them freezing up.

You'll soon get used to it, don't worry, just ask if you need help.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
There you go, second attempt and perfection.

Getting out and about in your MH is nearly as easy.

Do drive it locally to get used to the size.

You are very lucky to live where you do, so close to the channel. It might be a premature to be thinking this but it is so easy over the channel, less traffic and thousands more places to stop. The UK is OK, grand in places but mainland Europe is exciting. We have one solo female all geared up for the ultimate excitement, her second ( at least ) trip to Morocco, leaving in January. It's exciting, cheap and the weather is the best you can get in Jan. This could be you in 2018.
Wow! That's a tad ambitious for me! Hats off to that lady though, All the way to Morocco on her own! Marvellous!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Morning Muriel, although I've been a member on fun for a very long time we never went on any meets. Since my wife died, almost 3 years ago, I started going on meets. I made lots of friends and it got me out of a rut. Even met a special someone ;)
Don't leave it til spring, get yourself out there and use it. (y)
Terry
Same as . Can't add anything more. Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back