New Speed limit on Motorways

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by haganap, Sep 29, 2011.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

here on jun9 m6 we dont get above 20mph, 80 i wish:Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

About time....

Lets get real, even the smallest engine cars can cruise comfortably at 80 mph. On a motorway all the cars are going in the same direction, motorways are our safest roads.

It's not the speed that's the problem it's bad drivers, bad drivers cause accidents at any speed on any roads.

In France the limit is 81 mph but lane discipline is so much better, you don't get the lane hoggers there.

Let's give it a try. Those who cry "there will be more deaths" are the same ones who would have us drive at 50 mph on motorways in padded cocoons.

I say....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

But not in the m/h, I can't afford the fuel......:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I would have no objection to the limit being raised to 100 mph IF ONLY drivers would learn to keep to the stopping distances instead of tailgating at 70 plus miles per hour.

Many of the accidents caused on the motorway would involve far less vehicles in the ensuing pile ups if only people realised how long it actually takes to stop at faster speeds.

I will have some empathy for those business drivers whose companies have put restricters on their vehicles limiting their speeds as once the 80mph comes into force they will think they are going even slower than before.

Then flipping the coin over I think there should be 3 speed limits

80mph on a dry day
    60max on a wet day
    30max in fog and snow

I would rather get to a place safely and slowly than drive fast and not get there at all

• Like Like x 9
  5. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Travelling on the motorway network, you would think that the limit was already 80+ - except for the numerous 50mph camera zones :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

what about the green cost of uneconomic speeds and greenhouse gasses that we are all being charged a small fortune to reduce, raising the speed limit to 80 makes a total nonsense of that. 55mph is the most economical speed for all vehicals and 60 a decent cruising speed leaving another 10mph for overtaking. Nope should be left at 70. Of course one could be totally cynical and say that by raising the speed limit to 80mph then we will use more fuel and put more money in the coffers by way of the taxation.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Not sure I agree with it.

I often exceed 70 but try to keep it to about 80. If it changes I fear 90 will become the new 80.

As someone else posted the standard of driving is appalling in the UK so the increase will do little for road safety.

As for Wildmans comments on the green issue, it's impossible to argue against what he says.

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Don't know how true this is but if so the figures are startling, To think that an extra 10 mph would make us 11% less fuel efficient.:Eek!:

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

9. Chris

I hadn't realised how much more fuel you use at higher speeds.:Eeek:

I have traded down from a gas guzzling Jag to a really efficient Megane diesel . if I toodle along at about 65 my computer says 65. -70 mpg. if I push it I am still well over 50 mpg.
    Added to that £30 road tax I am happy with the switch.

Driving the M/H at a sensible speed has added 6-7 mpg too.

It's off setting a lot of the fuel increase for me. :thumb:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I just picked out these two points as this sort of discussion always brings to mind a point someone made in a conversation about 20 years ago. Yes, it may well be that most vehicles are capable of 80 mph (though some we've owned struggled to reach 60 :BigGrin:) but stopping safely is a different matter. Generally, the larger/dearer the car the larger the tyre area on the road and the more effective the braking system. To that, add maintenance standard and driver experience.

Faster speeds may well be generally safe but we have to cater for the inexperienced driver in the clapped out Fiesta as well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. artona

artona

I normally drive A14 - A1 back to Lincolnshire from work. The other week I drove back via norfolk as I was calling in at Skegness.

I got stuck behind tractors and all sorts and did not get much over 50mph at best. I was shocked at how much fuel I had left, I saved gallons.

However the next week I was back on the motorways

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and the olde fartes like us with slower reaction times.. :Wink:

I say nay, ... but I've little doubt it will be changed, because it will increase fuel consumption and hence the tax revenue to the treasury ...

• Like Like x 3
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I forgot to mention fuel consumption in my previous post. Jill tends to drive the van at around 55 mph and we've noticed that we definitely use more fuel on the occasions when we've travelled at higher speeds.

First reaction last night was that even if the limit is raised we wouldn't change our habits.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

And why not Jim? Got to raise some cash for our pensions somehow :BigGrin:

15. laneside

laneside Funster

What difference will it make?
    On clear motorways now many vehicles are doing 80 mph

on clouted up motorways you are lucky to maintain 20mph

on normal motorways two lorries will be running side by side at almost the same speed for mile after mile and Dopy that is normally in the middle lane will move into the third lane at sixty mph and cause all the 80 mph (which will now be 90mph) to brake which gives to knock on effect

• Like Like x 2
  16. buttons

buttons Funster

My mean machine just requires a minor adjustment to the cruise control and I'm at 80 instead of 70 absolutely no noticeable difference. However, you are correct the difference in the mpg is staggering. I'm certain the green party wont be shrinking violets when the debate begins.:Sad:

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yip... bring it on :BigGrin:

However.. . a more pressing issue...

I think it is deplorable that there is still no legal requirement for drivers to demonstrate a minimum level of competence in motorway driving, either during the basic driving test or in a supplementary test, before a full driving licence is granted.

Once a driver has passed the basic test, therefore, motorway driving skills are usually obtained by unsupervised experience, so that faults or bad habits may develop and remain uncorrected.

We also have drivers who pass their test in rural areas and have never even seen a dual carriage way let alone an Mway ..

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chris

I agree 100%.

It should also apply to all immigrants who enter the country.

I passed my test in a rural area and didn't see a proper roundabout until I went to university.

• Like Like x 1
  19. buttons

buttons Funster

Most drivers are doing 80+ mph on motorways already, I guess if this goes through then 90+ will be the norm.:Sad:

20. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Elsewhere there are campaigns to get us to sign up for cheaper fuel campaigns and lobbying government because it is 'too expensive', and 'the government tax us too much'.

Now almost with one voice the nation's drivers fully supports a move that will make our use of fuel considerably less efficient so we will spend even more on it, and the government revenues go up even more - no wonder they want it.

Time for some shares in Shell!

Like many, I will be keeping my speed down for economic reasons.

What really frightens me is not the speed itself, or cars that can do ridiculous speeds, its the drivers. Road rage at 30 or 40 is one thing, at 90 (which is what will happen), I don't want to be anywhere near them.