Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
About time....

Lets get real, even the smallest engine cars can cruise comfortably at 80 mph. On a motorway all the cars are going in the same direction, motorways are our safest roads.

It's not the speed that's the problem it's bad drivers, bad drivers cause accidents at any speed on any roads.

In France the limit is 81 mph but lane discipline is so much better, you don't get the lane hoggers there.

Let's give it a try. Those who cry "there will be more deaths" are the same ones who would have us drive at 50 mph on motorways in padded cocoons.

I say....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

But not in the m/h, I can't afford the fuel......:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I would have no objection to the limit being raised to 100 mph IF ONLY drivers would learn to keep to the stopping distances instead of tailgating at 70 plus miles per hour.

Many of the accidents caused on the motorway would involve far less vehicles in the ensuing pile ups if only people realised how long it actually takes to stop at faster speeds.

I will have some empathy for those business drivers whose companies have put restricters on their vehicles limiting their speeds as once the 80mph comes into force they will think they are going even slower than before.

Then flipping the coin over I think there should be 3 speed limits

80mph on a dry day
60max on a wet day
30max in fog and snow

I would rather get to a place safely and slowly than drive fast and not get there at all

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Travelling on the motorway network, you would think that the limit was already 80+ - except for the numerous 50mph camera zones ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what about the green cost of uneconomic speeds and greenhouse gasses that we are all being charged a small fortune to reduce, raising the speed limit to 80 makes a total nonsense of that. 55mph is the most economical speed for all vehicals and 60 a decent cruising speed leaving another 10mph for overtaking. Nope should be left at 70. Of course one could be totally cynical and say that by raising the speed limit to 80mph then we will use more fuel and put more money in the coffers by way of the taxation.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure I agree with it.

I often exceed 70 but try to keep it to about 80. If it changes I fear 90 will become the new 80.

As someone else posted the standard of driving is appalling in the UK so the increase will do little for road safety.

As for Wildmans comments on the green issue, it's impossible to argue against what he says.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As for Wildmans comments on the green issue, it's impossible to argue against what he says.

Don't know how true this is but if so the figures are startling, To think that an extra 10 mph would make us 11% less fuel efficient.:whatthe:

according to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I hadn't realised how much more fuel you use at higher speeds.:Eeek:

I have traded down from a gas guzzling Jag to a really efficient Megane diesel . if I toodle along at about 65 my computer says 65. -70 mpg. if I push it I am still well over 50 mpg.
Added to that £30 road tax I am happy with the switch.

Driving the M/H at a sensible speed has added 6-7 mpg too.

It's off setting a lot of the fuel increase for me. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Lets get real, even the smallest engine cars can cruise comfortably at 80 mph.

IF ONLY drivers would learn to keep to the stopping distances instead of tailgating at 70 plus miles per hour.

I just picked out these two points as this sort of discussion always brings to mind a point someone made in a conversation about 20 years ago. Yes, it may well be that most vehicles are capable of 80 mph (though some we've owned struggled to reach 60 ::bigsmile:) but stopping safely is a different matter. Generally, the larger/dearer the car the larger the tyre area on the road and the more effective the braking system. To that, add maintenance standard and driver experience.

Faster speeds may well be generally safe but we have to cater for the inexperienced driver in the clapped out Fiesta as well.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I normally drive A14 - A1 back to Lincolnshire from work. The other week I drove back via norfolk as I was calling in at Skegness.

I got stuck behind tractors and all sorts and did not get much over 50mph at best. I was shocked at how much fuel I had left, I saved gallons.

However the next week I was back on the motorways

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Faster speeds may well be generally safe but [HI]we have to cater for the inexperienced driver in the clapped out Fiesta as well[/HI].

and the olde fartes like us with slower reaction times.. :winky:

I say nay, ... but I've little doubt it will be changed, because it will increase fuel consumption and hence the tax revenue to the treasury ...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I forgot to mention fuel consumption in my previous post. Jill tends to drive the van at around 55 mph and we've noticed that we definitely use more fuel on the occasions when we've travelled at higher speeds.

First reaction last night was that even if the limit is raised we wouldn't change our habits.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
What difference will it make?
On clear motorways now many vehicles are doing 80 mph

on clouted up motorways you are lucky to maintain 20mph

on normal motorways two lorries will be running side by side at almost the same speed for mile after mile and Dopy that is normally in the middle lane will move into the third lane at sixty mph and cause all the 80 mph (which will now be 90mph) to brake which gives to knock on effect

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't know how true this is but if so the figures are startling, To think that an extra 10 mph would make us 11% less fuel efficient.:whatthe:
My mean machine just requires a minor adjustment to the cruise control and I'm at 80 instead of 70 absolutely no noticeable difference. However, you are correct the difference in the mpg is staggering. I'm certain the green party wont be shrinking violets when the debate begins.:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And why not Jim? Got to raise some cash for our pensions somehow ::bigsmile:

yip... bring it on ::bigsmile:

However.. . a more pressing issue...

I think it is deplorable that there is still no legal requirement for drivers to demonstrate a minimum level of competence in motorway driving, either during the basic driving test or in a supplementary test, before a full driving licence is granted.

Once a driver has passed the basic test, therefore, motorway driving skills are usually obtained by unsupervised experience, so that faults or bad habits may develop and remain uncorrected.

We also have drivers who pass their test in rural areas and have never even seen a dual carriage way let alone an Mway ..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
yip... bring it on ::bigsmile:

However.. . a more pressing issue...

I think it is deplorable that there is still no legal requirement for drivers to demonstrate a minimum level of competence in motorway driving, either during the basic driving test or in a supplementary test, before a full driving licence is granted.

Once a driver has passed the basic test, therefore, motorway driving skills are usually obtained by unsupervised experience, so that faults or bad habits may develop and remain uncorrected.

We also have drivers who pass their test in rural areas and have never even seen a dual carriage way let alone an Mway ..

I agree 100%.

It should also apply to all immigrants who enter the country.

I passed my test in a rural area and didn't see a proper roundabout until I went to university.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most drivers are doing 80+ mph on motorways already, I guess if this goes through then 90+ will be the norm.:Sad:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years

Elsewhere there are campaigns to get us to sign up for cheaper fuel campaigns and lobbying government because it is 'too expensive', and 'the government tax us too much'.

Now almost with one voice the nation's drivers fully supports a move that will make our use of fuel considerably less efficient so we will spend even more on it, and the government revenues go up even more - no wonder they want it.

Time for some shares in Shell!

Like many, I will be keeping my speed down for economic reasons.

What really frightens me is not the speed itself, or cars that can do ridiculous speeds, its the drivers. Road rage at 30 or 40 is one thing, at 90 (which is what will happen), I don't want to be anywhere near them.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Most drivers travel at 80 on dual carriageways (or cornish motorways) anyway, so will make little difference. Police state they will not pull over someone doing 80 as long as it is safely driven.

So in that respect, will make little difference to safety or our fuel economy figures - it is a limit, not a standard speed! It will raise the minimum limit to 43mph, but not many do that anyway.

As for safety, it has already been said - lane discipline - this is the main cause of accidents. People lane hogging, others undertaking to get round them. This is more about education than anything else.

You ask many drivers why they sit in the middle, they always say 'I feel safer as I have two lanes to swerve into'.......Well, you do in the left lane don't you? Lane 2 and hard shoulder - either are available for accident avoidance! So that answer doesn't wash with me.

I think motorway education needs to be the main priority as this will do more for road safety than anything else. Even with a higher limit, old Mrs. Jones will still sit at 50mph in the overtaking lane.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You have to leave the MH (or mobile housebrick) out of any fuel conversation, if everyone were that green, you would,nt be driving one, even a 40ft artic in comparison, has a more ergonomic design.

The govt, (who want the law change) are spot on the money here. Apart from the fact that they can prove that a VAST majority of people exceed the existing limit, they will also be able to prove that the existing limit was set before cars had better tyres, ABS/EBS/discs all round, airbags etc etc etc. For the driving standards argument, their argument will be, that the driving test has changed..."I think" three times since the limit was set.

The argument as to incurring more deaths, is muted by the fact that, as most exceed the limit anyway, the increase will not be significant.
as for our old friend, the "green" statistics, which can be "proved" to show almost anything, the only way to change that, is to change the perception of EVERY person with their foot on the go pedal, not legislation, we are getting fed up with it. The govt got it wrong with trucks doing 56mph, most have now changed (lower), they have it right with cars.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8797217/Speed-limit-on-motorways-to-rise-to-80mph.html

Looks like those of us with cihipped up Motorhomes will be able to struggle up to 80 mph :roflmto:

Good or bad? what do funsters think?

Me?

I think 70 is antiquated and set in days when a car would take a day to stop from 70 mph, nowadays, they stop in a few seconds, they handle better so why not. :thumb:

Why do you need a chipped MH to do 80, Paul?
My 2000 Ducato 2.8 does that happily on French motorways without chipping or struggling.

Second point already answered in part.
Although modern vehicles may be capable of more than is allowed,
Are the drivers?.....
Are the road / traffic conditions?....
Doubt it in most cases.

You only have to listen to some of the muppets on bikes (This is NOT to say ALL bikers are muppets; far from it.) who say that car drivers should get out of their way just because their bike is capable of 150mph.
I have had this conversation with the leather baygro crowd many times.

Citing behaviour at greater limits in France is not remotely relevant to the same issue here, when everyone who has driven there remarks on the traffic always being light.
Unlike France, our roads are already congested.
Were our roads as uncongested, I would be in favour, but as it is, higher limits are not practical.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I don't drive at 80 or even 70 very often now as I am more interested in fuel consumption. When I was working if I am honest I drove much faster.

I would argue that the limit should be just that, a limit, not a target to be exceeded where posible. I do thing most modern cars are well capable of safe cruising at 80 in the right conditions.

So if it is to be increased to 80 it should be accompanied by strict enforcement, and not a 10mph leeway as at present. If we expect drivers to stick to limits, they should be strictly enforced but they should also be sensible.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Why do you need a chipped MH to do 80, Paul?
My 2000 Ducato 2.8 does that happily on French motorways without chipping or struggling.

Tongue in Cheek but my van weighs in at 4.5 tonne, It will comfortably cruise at 80 if I want too, but I recently worked out that driving it at 55mph gets me near 26-27mpg, where as 65 drops to 22mpg and worryingly, when I drive it at 70 on the sad journey on the french autoroute home from holiday, i have managed to get it to 17-18 mpg:Eeek:

Second point already answered in part.
Although modern vehicles may be capable of more than is allowed,
Are the drivers?.....
Are the road / traffic conditions?....
Doubt it in most cases.

Although I would accept that 1 death in a car is tragic, especially as it is more often our young. (sorry for using your point John others have made it too)
Our roads are one of the safest in the Western World already
Please check here.
Link Removed

Also out of that, the Motorway is the safest road in the UK in terms of getting killed, ie your more likely to die on a B/C road than a Motorway.

In collisions, it is not speed that is the factor but often the inappropriate use of speed. If we start getting the speed limit lowered in some areas ie outside schools then we can work on getting people to use appropriate speed elsewhere even if that means going faster. Mr Plod will always be able to nick someone doing 60 or 80 on a motorway If he is driving offensively ie Tail gaiting switching lanes etc.

What I find frustrating is that when coming back through the Lake district, on a motorway, in the middle of the night with no car about, I have to do 70 when clearly I could safely do 90, if my pocket's allow me :winky:

As for the green argument? yeah right, strange thing to argue from us motorhomer's, what next, Turkeys voting for christmas? when the likes of America, China and India and alike do something about it then maybe Ill think about it. In the mean time, best drive fast, use up all the oil quicker and then start making hydrogen cars better.

I did actually lose my license in 1993 for driving at over 118 mph on the M54 in my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo :Blush:

but hey ho, we live and learn and I was busy racing a police car at the time, just a shame it decided to not have any markings on it, so Im not going to be critical of our young or new drivers, after all, I was one once.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In collisions, it is not speed that is the factor but often the inappropriate use of speed.

A very good point, Paul. If we could educate everyone such that they drove only at the speed appropriate for the conditions there would be no need for limits at all :winky:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
for those that can't be bothered to click the link,, :Smile:

An analysis of the overall traffic and accident situation in each of 16 European countries carried out by the European Road Assessment Programme (EuroRAP), shows that the UK has the safest roads in Europe.

Road fatalities per 100,000 population
Portugal 21
Greece 20.2
Spain 14.6
France 14.4
Belgium 13.7
Luxembourg 13.5
Austria 13.4
Italy 11
Ireland 11
Denmark 9.7
Germany 9.5
Netherlands 6.9
Sweden 6.6
United Kingdom 5.9

This difference is even better when we look at motorways only.

Motorways — Deaths per billion vehicle-km.
Portugal 14.1
Italy 12.8
Austria 8.9
Belgium 7.2
France 5.4
Finland 5.0
Germany 4.5
Denmark 4.3
Ireland 4.0
Switzerland 3.3
Netherlands 3.3
Sweden 3.2
United Kingdom 2.0

Compare this with motorway usage. Due to lack of government investment in sufficient motorway routes, the UK's motorways are significantly busier than other european motorways. Despite this our motorways are still by far the safest.

Motorway usage
(Average daily vehicle flow)
United Kingdom 64,900
Netherlands 52,400
Germany 45,800
Belgium 44,600
Switzerland 38,200
France 29,400
Denmark 26,700
Italy 26,000
Ireland 26,000
Austria 25,600
Portugal 25,100
Sweden 17,700

Our motorway safety is clearly excellent compared with other countries, and our relative A-road safety is equally good.

A-class roads — deaths per billion vehicle-km
(Those roads that are immediately below motorway standard — Not all countries supply this data.)
Austria 22.9
France 20.6
Belgium 19.9
Germany 19.5
Netherlands 17.5
Denmark 15.5
Ireland 14.0
Finland 12.2
United Kingdom 6.2

Once again this excellent road safety record exists despite our A roads being busier than other European countries due to the UK's lack of investment in new roads and bypasses.

A-class roads usage
(Average daily vehicle flow)
United Kingdom 17,200
France 10,100
Germany 9,500
Netherlands 8,100
Belgium 7,400
Finland 3,200

When the UK clearly has by far the safest roads in Europe, we have to ask why we also have the most anti-car government in Europe, if not the world.
The British government spends millions of pounds of public money on propaganda which gives the impression that our roads are the worst in Europe.

To implement it's so called "road safety" policy, it imposes speed cameras, traffic calming, speed humps, unreasonably low speed limits, bus lanes, road narrowing, and complete road closures. It covers our roads and pavements with a shambolic mess of white lines, red and green splodges, textured surfaces and obstructions.

Despite our motorways being the safest in Europe by a country mile, the government pig-headedly refuses to raise the utterly discredited 70 mph motorway speed limit.

We are not saying that road safety in the UK cannot be improved, but the way to achieve that is clearly to praise drivers for being the safest in Europe, and to encourage excellence through education. Battering drivers with an endless succession of 'sticks' may be something favoured by the likes of John Prescott, but people do not take kindly to such aggression and abuse of power.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i agree with upping the limit to a degree
but the motorways should have a 50 mph minimum limit with similar penalties to speeding.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back