New or Secondhand,would you change if you were me?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Aug 7, 2015.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

We have a nice, from new Hobby Siesta 650Fl motorhome. Now five + years old and 53+K miles (as you can see we use our MH). After five plus years and 53k miles its beginning to show a few signs of regular use, it's on a Ford Transit and this is running well.

Should we change now or run the van into the ground, which ever way we do it I now it will cost us a lot of money. I reckon we have about another 10 years of Motorhoming!!.

Should we buy another new or seconhand (low milage) OR WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

colyboy

2. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

If what you have suits you I would stick with it. There are so many references on here about new/ish vans with problems that I think it a case of 'better the devil you know'!

• Like Like x 3
  3. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

The more you change the more money you spend, the dealers need to make a cut on each transaction. There's only you the customer who can provide that money.
    Stick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I agree with @Cal54 stick with what you have a good service ,empty it all out a good clean up then restock your "New" van and enjoy your travels for another few years :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

Stick, you have a tranny unless IT severely goes against the grain it will run for ever, and relatively cheap to repair if it does go wrong as compared to these new things that cost a fortune to change an oil filter

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

I never understand people who change vans they are very happy with because they think the van is getting old...

I guess it is what you are used to, but a five year old van with only 50,000 miles on the clock would be practically brand new to me!

I have had my Hymer for 8 years now and it was 20 years old when I got it. It has just reached 180,000 kms and runs fine for me. No trouble with spares (filters etc).

I think you should put aside a portion of the money that you would spend changing the van as an "in case of emergency fund". I reckon with TLC and regular servicing your current van will serve you well for years and years.

But you will know what is best for you to do...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 12
  7. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

If your current van meets your motor homing needs then stick with it. Our Auto Sleeper is 7 years old now and performs perfectly in all departments. A dealer at a show (once he realised that we were not likely to purchase from him) told us that the new ones are not a patch on the older ones for quality and reliability and that we would be mad to ever change it,

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Financially it nearly always works out best to run it to ground, but then the replacement cost is a big chunk of cash although in theory you will be better off.

On the other hand I find as I get older and have more cash at my disposal it's nice to treat yourself to new things, the boss doesn't agree, she runs a 16 year old car and refuses to change it, my cars is 3 years old and I want a new one.

A good compromise for a Motorhome is 5 - 6 years, the cash difference to change is not too high, models have changed sufficiently to make it worthwhile.

Also if you are looking at another German van with the £/€ at the moment probably not going to be a better time to buy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I change every two to three years normally. Reason being the hit not so much. (Buy smart sell smart) I certainly would not do this just for the sake of it....if your happy with it keep it unless you really want to change. If you need to canvas opinion on it sounds like your happy enough really?

10. wingman

wingman Funster

Difficult one this. I made a list of predicted expenditure for my old van...... Three years more MOT's, new tyres, other bits etc and then used the figures to justify my spend on a new one to the IMF (wife)!

At least with a new model, no one has had their maulers all over it and the newer ones come with a few more features.... LED lighting, Cruise, USB sockets, Hands-free phone hook up, Cab Air-Con and other bits and bobs.

If you've got a few bob, SPEND IT!

Yeah, I know, there will be loads of Funsters following me to say how happy they are and the new vans a crap BUT, there's the value-added smug pleasure of having the latest van on the drive. Then, of course, you can come on here and moan about it! :D

Buy new and sod the expense!
    Happy hunting.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Nearly run in then (y)
    I'm keeping ours unless we win the lottery

12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If you look at the depreciation losses you have made on your MoHo so far I think you will find its a lot, but, it will now slow down considerably.
    If you sell you will be selling a very good vehicle still in good nick that is a great deal cheaper than it was new.
    Then you go out and pay top dollar on a new MoHo that immediately starts loosing a massive amount of money as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.
    I have only ever bought one vehicle brand new and would never, ever do it again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robnchris

robnchris Funster

If the M/H you have is solid and you like the layout then we would say stick with it.
    We bought a new Autotrail 2 years ago and whilst we have made a lot of changes to make it our own, we have to say we miss the superior build quality of our older model.

14. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

13 years old and still going strong

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Really depends on how well you buy & what you can achieve when selling, as Eddie says "buy smart sell smart" sold our last van at just under 6 years old, depreciation 23 %, ( 5% a year).
    Will admit the main reason for changing was we wanted an A Class, a garage & an auto box, however the current van is just over a year old, but due to the better exchange rate I'm getting tempted with a new van.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steveth

Steveth Funster

We think you will have a job to run it into the ground in your quoted 10 years of Motorhoming left, based on your current useage.
    As long as it is regularly serviced and you are happy with it, why change, you might something else to spend the spare cash on from your Bucket List!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Stick!
    If you do change go for a used van, couple of years old.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Huwmari

Huwmari Funster

We nearly got tempted to buy a new van last week (ours is now 11 yrs old) but decided against it on grounds of depreciation and, as someone else has said, the finish wasn't a patch on our existing van, in fact it looked rather tacky. We're going to stick with what we've got and maybe go for a good secondhand one eventually.

19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We met @cruiser at one of the meets, why don't you ask him about hanging on to the MH that you love? :)

20. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

If you are happy with it and think another 10 years is about how long you will need it, it will still have enough resale value for a great holiday. Buy new and you will have to take the hit of the upgrade cost as well as the depreciation.
    If you think there is something that more suits your needs, get it as 10 years in one you like is better than putting up with one that you are not totally satisfied with.