New or Secondhand,would you change if you were me? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting...

I am not very good at this stuff.

Does that mean after 5 years, Mr Colyboy will get 75% of his purchase price back when he sells it?

JJ :cool:
Well I managed 75.5% after 6 years.:D

It depends on how ell you buy & sell, I would never buy from a UK dealer as they work on much higher margins and you would end up loosing a lot more.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why change ?
The chassis is what the trade calls a million miler, so that is pretty much new at 53k..
The Hobby vans are among the best out there.. really well made and in general fitted with decent quality kit.

Would you move house if the wallpaper needed freshening up ? Nahhhhh..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is this normal or are you "in the know"?

You see, all the information I have picked up over the years suggest that, if you buy a brand new van, you lose a big chunk in depreciation the moment your name has been put in the logbook...

JJ :cool:
Quite normal if you buy in Germany or Belgium & sell privately in the UK, my mates figures were similar, I think Eddie (Judgemental) has done even better.
The more expensive the van the more you are likely to loose, don't expect to do so well on the current van but with the weak Euro a new van will be cheaper.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not a bit of it....only in the UK market place:(

(Quote did not work. It was in answer to JJ)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you can afford it go for it.....life is short (y)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Easy, if you are happy with the MH you have and you do not want for any improvements that newer MHs offer then keep it, on the other hand if you do want for improvements that newer MHs offer then buy a new one, you only get one life and this is it.
Be happy whatever.
Etap

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
What mpg do you get from your current van? What will you get with a new one? How much will you "save" over the next 5-10y?
How much does your insurance cost now? What will it cost with a new van? How much will you "save"?
Which of these has the biggest effect? Is that important?

You may have problems getting "European assistance" (or even UK assistance) as your van gets older. Is this important?

Sometimes we live with what we've got; sometimes we go for the lure of the new.

I'm currently on N Norfolk coast and my neighbour's van was "almost new" when he bought it in 1993.

Yorkshirefreckles

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F
Exp
Forever
We've looked at more expensive change-up vans and none of them gives us the convenience of our current van. The reality is it'll probably outlast us both and still be worth something should the kids choose to sell it! If the van you have suits you, hang on to it. Otherwise, you'll end up spending a fortune making the new van work for you and still not be entirely comfortable. Run it into the ground, I say! And enjoy doing it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Ours is an 02 "entry level" M/H. it has most things we are happy with, 55k on the clock, we have added a few nick knacks to make life more "easy" it has a couple of small niggly probs that we can live with. At best it's worth 10K-12K
We are comfortable with it, Why trade it in? Heard horrerndous tales of jokers going in over their head on Time Payment deals, 100K and more !
We had a G Reg A class before this one, only got rid cause it didn't have power steering, Still rue the day!
If you are comfortable with the one you have, keep it, forget "street cred" and leave "penis envy" to the "Willy Wavers"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back