New member.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Don Hooley, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Don Hooley

Don Hooley

Hi my name is Don and I only joined the site this evening. I am posting early as I am really saddened by the death of a motorhome lady. I also feel quite lucky as my motor hoe also went on fire two weeks ago but we were lucky and got out and managed to put the fire with our fire extinguisher. Only had the motorhome a month and it cost £ 38.000. Extensive damage and will not be repaired until late March / early April. Absolutely gutted. Could not have happens at a worse time. Having problems with the supplier at moment. Looks like I may have a court case on my hands. Hope not just want a replacement van or my money back.

2. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

All the best mate and welcome

3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

WOW That's terrible.hope it all comes right in the end Don.you will get plenty of support on here :xThumb:
    welcome to MHF :xsmile:
    Brian & Jo

4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Sorry to hear your news Don but welcome to MotorhomeFun. If you need any advice you can always ask on here and Funsters are always willing to help :xThumb:

5. Momo

Momo Funster

Sorry to hear your news Don but welcome to the Fun!:xThumb:

Keep us informed of outcome! :welc:

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Glad you and yours are safe. The m/h can be repaired or replaced - people can't.

Oh and:

welcome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Welcome Don. Do you know the cause of the fire?

8. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, this is the best forum for any advise you may need regarding motor homing, hope you sort out your difficulties without too much hassle.

9. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Welcome to the fun keep giving updates on your claim ,plenty of advice given .I'm sure.
    :welc:

11. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello :xThumb:. That's bad news, hope you get it sorted soon.

12. Peter48

Peter48 Read Only Funster

Glad to hear you are both Safe. Welcome to MHF!

13. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

14. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

welcome Don! If you don't mind please share how fire started

15. Don Hooley

Don Hooley

Not sure. 1st report suggested a manufactures wiring fault as they considered it to be a slow burning fire which gave my wife the opportunity to get some help to put the fire out( I was out walking the dog) she had recently had a shoulder operation and could not get pin out of extinguisher. Bailey's sent me to another service agent who removed the cooker and thought it was a clergy fault, as they fire started as soon as my wife lit the grill for the first time since we bought the van. Bailey sent out the cooker manufacturers out to check the collet and they informed me they would be sending a report to Bailey saying the cooker was not to blame and they thought it was electrical. The said if if had been gas it would have gone up much quicker. My problem is that while I would like to know the cause it it of know real interest. My contract is with Nick Whale who I bought it of. And as it is not fit for purpose they have a duty under the law to replace, refund or repair. I do not want a repair as this will tklake to early April. I am due to go away in February to Portugal until May. Just totally annoyed that companies will not will help. They would not even give us a replacement van for the Xmas and new year period so we could go on our motorcaravanners new year rally.

16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Best of luck!

17. Don Hooley

Don Hooley

I was out walking our dog at 9am in the morning. My wife decided to make sme toast for breakfast. We only had the van for five weeks and normally have cereal for breakfast soo it was the first time she had used the grill. Within seconds of igniting the grill the alarms went off and she saw flames through the door in the cooker. She immediately turned the grill off and got the fire extinguisher on the job, put the fire out and then got out of the van as it was full of black smoke. Had three different service engineers seen it by Bailey, however, two say they think it is electrical the third thought it was the cooker. Bailey sent the cooker manufacturer out and they informed me they would be sending a report to Bailey saying it wAs not a cooker fault. We are no wiser and still do not have any signs tha anyone cares. Totally gutted with the industry at the moment. Do not know whether to contact fire investigation service and pay for an independent report.

18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh dear, what a horrible start to your Motorhome, don't forget to have a separate note book and make notes of every phone call and conversation, with dates and names, when you are upset it's easy to forget dates and times and you may need all these things over the coming months. Good Luck for a good outcome, please keep us up to date, and Welcome to Fun, hopefully 2015 will improve.

19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Have you involved trading standards yet? Citizen's advice might also be able to help.

The least that could be done is for Bailey to pay for a hire motorhome for your booked events. Disgraceful that they have not suggested this as a good will gesture.

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. I'm glad you are both safe and wish you a speedy resolution with the suppliers, whom your contract is with. It's up to them to sort it with whoever is responsible not you.
    You don't mention if it is a new or Secondhand van but either way obviously not fit for purpose under the trade descriptions act so the supplier should sort it toot sweet..