Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
Liverpool England
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since2008
Hi my name is Don and I only joined the site this evening. I am posting early as I am really saddened by the death of a motorhome lady. I also feel quite lucky as my motor hoe also went on fire two weeks ago but we were lucky and got out and managed to put the fire with our fire extinguisher. Only had the motorhome a month and it cost ÂŁ 38.000. Extensive damage and will not be repaired until late March / early April. Absolutely gutted. Could not have happens at a worse time. Having problems with the supplier at moment. Looks like I may have a court case on my hands. Hope not just want a replacement van or my money back.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
WOW That's terrible.hope it all comes right in the end Don.you will get plenty of support on here :xThumb:
welcome to MHF :xsmile:
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Sorry to hear your news Don but welcome to MotorhomeFun. If you need any advice you can always ask on here and Funsters are always willing to help :xThumb:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad you and yours are safe. The m/h can be repaired or replaced - people can't.

Oh and:

welcome.jpg

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, this is the best forum for any advise you may need regarding motor homing, hope you sort out your difficulties without too much hassle.

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
Glad to hear you are both Safe. Welcome to MHF!

OP
OP
D

Don Hooley

Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
Liverpool England
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since2008
Welcome Don. Do you know the cause of the fire?
Not sure. 1st report suggested a manufactures wiring fault as they considered it to be a slow burning fire which gave my wife the opportunity to get some help to put the fire out( I was out walking the dog) she had recently had a shoulder operation and could not get pin out of extinguisher. Bailey's sent me to another service agent who removed the cooker and thought it was a clergy fault, as they fire started as soon as my wife lit the grill for the first time since we bought the van. Bailey sent out the cooker manufacturers out to check the collet and they informed me they would be sending a report to Bailey saying the cooker was not to blame and they thought it was electrical. The said if if had been gas it would have gone up much quicker. My problem is that while I would like to know the cause it it of know real interest. My contract is with Nick Whale who I bought it of. And as it is not fit for purpose they have a duty under the law to replace, refund or repair. I do not want a repair as this will tklake to early April. I am due to go away in February to Portugal until May. Just totally annoyed that companies will not will help. They would not even give us a replacement van for the Xmas and new year period so we could go on our motorcaravanners new year rally.

OP
OP
D

Don Hooley

Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
Liverpool England
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since2008
welcome Don! If you don't mind please share how fire started
I was out walking our dog at 9am in the morning. My wife decided to make sme toast for breakfast. We only had the van for five weeks and normally have cereal for breakfast soo it was the first time she had used the grill. Within seconds of igniting the grill the alarms went off and she saw flames through the door in the cooker. She immediately turned the grill off and got the fire extinguisher on the job, put the fire out and then got out of the van as it was full of black smoke. Had three different service engineers seen it by Bailey, however, two say they think it is electrical the third thought it was the cooker. Bailey sent the cooker manufacturer out and they informed me they would be sending a report to Bailey saying it wAs not a cooker fault. We are no wiser and still do not have any signs tha anyone cares. Totally gutted with the industry at the moment. Do not know whether to contact fire investigation service and pay for an independent report.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh dear, what a horrible start to your Motorhome, don't forget to have a separate note book and make notes of every phone call and conversation, with dates and names, when you are upset it's easy to forget dates and times and you may need all these things over the coming months. Good Luck for a good outcome, please keep us up to date, and Welcome to Fun, hopefully 2015 will improve.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have you involved trading standards yet? Citizen's advice might also be able to help.

The least that could be done is for Bailey to pay for a hire motorhome for your booked events. Disgraceful that they have not suggested this as a good will gesture.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. I'm glad you are both safe and wish you a speedy resolution with the suppliers, whom your contract is with. It's up to them to sort it with whoever is responsible not you.
You don't mention if it is a new or Secondhand van but either way obviously not fit for purpose under the trade descriptions act so the supplier should sort it toot sweet..

OP
OP
D

Don Hooley

Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
Liverpool England
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since2008
Hi and welcome to the fun. I'm glad you are both safe and wish you a speedy resolution with the suppliers, whom your contract is with. It's up to them to sort it with whoever is responsible not you.
You don't mention if it is a new or Secondhand van but either way obviously not fit for purpose under the trade descriptions act so the supplier should sort it toot sweet..

OP
OP
D

Don Hooley

Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
Liverpool England
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since2008
The van is only two year old with 45 thousand on the clock. I have another 4 months warranty on the van from the dealer and it is still under Baileys 3 year warranty. What use are warranties when know one wants to honour them?

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
so sorry about your Motorhome but you are safe, be positive it will be sorted in the New Year dont be soft with them

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome .. hope all sorted soon and your posts can be of how much fun you are having with us all .. you will get loads of support. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back