New Autotrail Tracker FB initial impressions

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by Jeffreyhill, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Jeffreyhill

Jeffreyhill Read Only Funster

Very happy with the van layout and internal and external finish. However we have had some real problems with electrical stuff. This should not be the case with a motorhome that has been properly tested, surely.

The entertainment system is potentially great, if it works. Our was wired up incorrectly and therefore we had no TV, Bluetooth facility or Satnav. Spinneys have now sorted out all but Bluetooth, looks like we need a new system to get that working. Unbelievably the status aerial was also completely dud, now replaced with new one.

The final decision on which model to buy was made on the large fridge/freezer in this model. How ironic then that the fridge does not work at all. How can a brand new fridge be fitted that does not work? Dometic engineers say it is a failed cooling unit, difficult to think it has failed before working. Does not make me confident about future use as and when Dometic get an engineer to it to replace faulty unit. Another trip to Spinneys to organise this in the next week or so.

Am I unlucky or do Autotrail need to get there testing sorted?

2. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Am I right in thinking this is a brand new motorhome ?

3. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

If it is brand new, Spinneys have failed miserably on the inspection regime, so has the manufacturer? If it isn't Spinneys have still failed!

4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Auto-Trail need to get their quality control sorted, definately. :Angry:

See my thread "Auto-Trail woes".
    Ours is nearly one year old now and the issues are still ongoing.
    If the factory had done proper checks before it was delivered everything would have been picked up and, hopefully, sorted.
    How can you build a MH and say that it will take two 13kg gas bottles and then find that the gas locker door won't close with them in ? How can the fresh water and grey water drain taps both be leaking badly if the checks have been done ?
    As I said, read my thread. I am still waiting for lots of answers and solutions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jeffreyhill

This is a brand new van.

6. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Autotrail FB

Ours, bought new is a year old now and we have had lots of niggly problems with it.

Most I have sorted out myself as a trip to the people we bought it from (Elite near Banbury have been good) costs about hundred pound.

But the entertainment/sat nav system is something I suspect you will always be disappointed with. It really is not worth anything like the £1k cost.

Our fridge also plays up, we have also had intermittant failures of the heating system (Which is not fitted with a frost protection valve, even though the instructions states it is.)

But I love the layout, the beds are comfortable, the Fiat part of the van has behaved with only a minor problem of a spurious warning light. It comes with lots of kit that are extra's on other makes.

But would I buy another Autotrail - Juries still out

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We are very pleased with ours.

The dealers (Johns Cross) dont let rubbish leaver their workshop.

We have a little issue with the sat nav where we await a card to make it work but thats not down to the dealer, and isnt a big deal (for us) anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  8. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Production numbers are all that matters nowadays.
    The guys fitting them out have no time for pride --time is money.
    It is how many units are produced to keep banks and share holders happy.
    Silly things as any interior fitments not working cannot stop prodution runs.

!0 mins to fit that /7.525 mins to fit this/45seconds to fit that---NEXT:thumb:

9. MikeD

MikeD Funster

so true

You have hit the nail on the head with this:thumb::thumb:

10. Jeffreyhill

Thanks MikeD, I could not find the frost protection valve and assumed it was my lack of technical know how. We have tested the heater very well over the last few weeks and it does work well.

11. journeyman

Surely this is also a dealer issue as its a new van. As Peter from JC has pointed out in the past, if the dealerships do what they're supposed to do and check thoroughly on receipt of the van the customer won't have to go through the stress of spending £40-50k on a product that is riddled with faults. If dealers do that and refuse delivery, it follows that the manufacturers will have to improve their own quality control. I'm sure they don't set out to sell faulty vans.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jeffreyhill

I think it reflects badly on both manufacturers and dealers. I was hoping a British manufacturer would come up trumps, still am in fact, but a poor start to my relationship with Autotrail. Moved from Swift as we felt the previous van was poorly finished off, although everything worked.

Spinneys have been good in my dealings with them and are keen to fix the problems. But a couple of hours of testing (in the case of the fridge, much less for the TV etc) would have alerted them to this problem which they were always going to have to solve.

• Like Like x 2
  13. journeyman

Its simple stuff JH, i'm sure if you were selling something on ebay, you would ensure it was working before you dispatched it to the buyer, its common sense and good for business. You must be pretty disappointed, hopefully Spinneys will get all the issues rectified quickly.

Good Luck.

14. plumbomb

plumbomb Funster

We had ordered a Autotrail Apache 634 at NEC show in October for March delivery, we got in April. We were disappointed that it was late we missed out on two outings that we booked, our first trip out was up to Scotland for a long weekend and then down to Peterborough last weekend. we are very pleased with it ,everything works fine up to now and the layout is just perfect for us also we bought from a local dealer (Danums from Doncaster) so if any problems occur its not far for us, This is our first MH and we are confident in this family dealership but only time will tell.:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

Auto trails

I always thought auto trails were really good it's appalling that motorhomes leave factory's like this . We bought a swift kontiki 669 a year ago had no problems with swift just the dealer although we did have a new gearbox after 800 miles we nearly went the auto trail route somehow it needs to be sorted that these vans are checked properly :Angry:

16. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Sadly its all about getting the money in and sort the problems after it seems.Thats been my experience with our purchase anyhow.:Sad:

17. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

its a Eurobox :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Yep it is enough said :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jeffreyhill

Update on Autotrail problems/Dometic fridge

I am still awaiting a repair on the fridge. New van collected at end of March and the fridge has not worked yet. I am now told by the dealers that 2 more new vans have been returned with failed Dometic Fridge/Freezers. The Dometic rep. says that he is awaiting parts for up to 10 failed units. The model number is RMD 8555. Apparently a German make or at least the failed part the cooling unit is made in Germany. Why are Autotrail continuing to put these seemingly useless fridges in their vans?

My dealers are sympathetic but await the man from Dometic. They have contacted Autotrail but as yet I am not aware of their attitude. Are there are any other campervan owners with Dometic issues on this forum?

Good news on the Bluetooth front, complete new entertainment system put in by dealer to replace the 2 month old one that had a failed Bluetooth and TV element!

The excitement of taking delivery of new van has been seriously diminished by events to date. Fortunately I have been able to combine visits to dealer in Cheshire with other visits that were already planned so no extra expense. However further visits will be at my expense so the dealer is trying to get Dometic to come to me.

19. journeyman

Many thanks for the update. Just one question: Who identified that the fridge on this brand new van wasn't working, you or the dealer?

20. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

personaly i would never buy abrand new van because of all problems associated with them 12months old all sorted . however i do sympathise . enything else bought which does not work it would be a case of return and refund . when you pay such a large amount of money you would think they would get it right :Sad:
    stan

• Like Like x 2