hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Explain why you think it is justified charging £7.50 on top of a pitch fee of £30 for a what is basically a car park ..

but if you want to compare... example..and have a look at the location on the photos

Carbost Pier​

Community run stop, £10pn
Water £1 for 50lt

Granted, no EHU .. but who wants to pay £26 for leccy ?
Review

I am not justifying any charges. Simply I know that quite a few places in Skye charge close on £30 a night. Just got to look at Search for Sites to see that. I don’t doubt there are cheaper places also. Skye tends to be expensive, as are many remote parts of Scotland.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Ok, so I spoke with the General Manager a short time ago a lovely lady who understood our issues , they cannot change the pricing but because we are here for 6 nights which is unusual she will see what she can do. In respect of the toilets not being open at night they have been trying to get a plumber to fit a toilet in the shower room since June but to no avail.
Any Plumbers who want a job and a stay over let me know before Sunday ! 😁😁😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: CWH
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I am not justifying any charges. Simply I know that quite a few places in Skye charge close on £30 a night. Just got to look at Search for Sites to see that. I don’t doubt there are cheaper places also. Skye tends to be expensive, as are many remote parts of Scotland.
Max I've paid to stay on skye is a fiver in one of the motorhome bays in Portree.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Max I've paid to stay on skye is a fiver in one of the motorhome bays in Portree.
not allowed any more
the m/h spots in the main bayfield cp, where the cdp is, are daytime only, I did write to the council in Inverness but they're not interested

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
not allowed any more
the m/h spots in the main bayfield cp, where the cdp is, are daytime only, I did write to the council in Inverness but they're not interested
Since when?

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Since when?
since they extended & re-configured the cp, can't remember when that was, think it was finished within the last year

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
No they extended it and put the in the cdp etc about 2 years ago, but that is the refurbed bit, however there were always 5 spots just as you get to the bottom beside the recycle bins were you could stay overnight, seems to be gone from search for sites now.
How stupid is that, more money lost to Portree from us, we'll just avoid that from now on :-(

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
more money lost to Portree
actually all the money goes to Inverness which is a source of 'irritation' locally
I'll check those 5 spots next time I go into the village, they were always a bit 'different' from the rest (I don't go in very often though)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Im talking about the money on beer, food, usually something from the sweet shop, the chippie, the very expensive harris tweed / wool shop, the pubs, the restaurant and even the gallery on the corner. Oh and the Co-op on the hill too. We usually make a point of Portree and Ive spent between £75 and once £267 there on one stop.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Plenty other places in and around the village .....

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Not that I can see to stay overnight on search for sites there isnt

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not everything is on S4S, there's a real world out there beyond t'internet. I always overnight when I go into the village for dentist, optician etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not everything is on S4S, there's a real world out there beyond t'internet. I always overnight when I go into the village for dentist, optician etc
I suggest you don't put them on SFS .. ;)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I suggest you don't put them on SFS .. ;)
I don't! I don't find my off-site overnight spots there, either.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I thought that the 5 overnight spaces were still in place by the recycle area when we parked in the main car park near the CDP point earlier this summer.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I thought that the 5 overnight spaces were still in place by the recycle area when we parked in the main car park near the CDP point earlier this summer.
I'll check.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
As i say they were on S4S up until early this year when we were last there. And CWH is right that there are other places other than s4s listed it's not as easy to find the good un's when your not local :)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As i say they were on S4S up until early this year when we were last there.
Went into Portree yesterday, had a good look.
There were no parking charges at all on the island just a few short years ago!
This car park did have 'no overnighting' except for the few spots you're talking about. With various changes and developments, even these became a no-stay zone. I hadn't looked before yesterday but you can clearly see in the photo that this has been taped over. The numbers at the bays are clearly hand-painted/ sprayed. This patch used to be used by the fishing boats so it's maybe privately owned; it's certainly always been treated as separate from the main parking. But still asks 'have you paid and displayed'. With the last development I did write to Highland Council asking them to re-instate the overnighting, I expect a good few people did, and with their promotion of 'airigh', well, maybe they listened to us and to themselves!
HTH and encourages you back!
20230922_120544.jpg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Went into Portree yesterday, had a good look.
There were no parking charges at all on the island just a few short years ago!
This car park did have 'no overnighting' except for the few spots you're talking about. With various changes and developments, even these became a no-stay zone. I hadn't looked before yesterday but you can clearly see in the photo that this has been taped over. The numbers at the bays are clearly hand-painted/ sprayed. This patch used to be used by the fishing boats so it's maybe privately owned; it's certainly always been treated as separate from the main parking. But still asks 'have you paid and displayed'. With the last development I did write to Highland Council asking them to re-instate the overnighting, I expect a good few people did, and with their promotion of 'airigh', well, maybe they listened to us and to themselves!
HTH and encourages you back!
View attachment 812926
That’s good.

Reactions: CWH
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Good stuff, if it still allows the overnight then Portree will indeed see more of my money :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back