LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Pleased to say that the new campsite at An Crùbh near Armadale is now up and running. The camping is a full 5-van campsite, not an aire, but I have spoken with them and the domestic/ grey/ black waste and fresh water facilities are available to day visitors at £7.50. (They will update the website to clarify this.) An Crùbh is a community-owned-and-run cafe (excellent food!) and small store (groceries, some gifts etc) as well as an events space, and is just the right distance from the Armadale ferry terminal for early morning departures or late night arrivals to or from Mallaig.
Armadale itself has a community store with food and fuel, and a number of interesting independent shops for art, clothing, gifts etc. An Crùbh is close to both Armadale Castle and the Torabhaig distillery and, for those who like fine dining, Kinloch Lodge or The Duisdale.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Looks great, and I hope it does very well. But from the website it does look more like an aire than a campsite - I can’t see showers or toilets, for instance. (Personally, perfectly happy with aire facilities!)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Looks great, and I hope it does very well. But from the website it does look more like an aire than a campsite - I can’t see showers or toilets, for instance. (Personally, perfectly happy with aire facilities!)
You're right no amenities block but you can do "camping behaviour" outside the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Relatively few five-van sites (CLs/CSs) offer shower facilities.

Ian

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pleased to say that the new campsite at An Crùbh near Armadale is now up and running. The camping is a full 5-van campsite, not an aire, but I have spoken with them and the domestic/ grey/ black waste and fresh water facilities are available to day visitors at £7.50. (They will update the website to clarify this.) An Crùbh is a community-owned-and-run cafe (excellent food!) and small store (groceries, some gifts etc) as well as an events space, and is just the right distance from the Armadale ferry terminal for early morning departures or late night arrivals to or from Mallaig.
Armadale itself has a community store with food and fuel, and a number of interesting independent shops for art, clothing, gifts etc. An Crùbh is close to both Armadale Castle and the Torabhaig distillery and, for those who like fine dining, Kinloch Lodge or The Duisdale.
I am right. The £7.50 reads as though it is inaddition to the £25 to stay the night.

In which case it is quite expensive

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am right. The £7.50 reads as though it is inaddition to the £25 to stay the night.

In which case it is quite expensive
That I didn't ask about. But I agree.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t think they will be short of visitors even at that price. It’s a beautiful part of the world.

It’s the conundrum of small sites currently with the ridiculous electricity prices foisted upon us.

Too much for us I am afraid, I hope they do well though and the pricing reaches the right level to make it work for them. 👍

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It’s too much for me, I agree at £25 +£7.50 for non campsite facilities seems expensive. I think the emptying of facilities will do a good trade though.

Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
I am sorry - that is expensive! I’d rather have the electric as an option but grey/black waste should be included with the base price.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Arrived at this site and I can confirm the £7.50 for the waste is Not an additional charge to the pitch charge, if you just want to dump you can do it between the hours of 9am to 5pm (shop hours) as you need an entry code to access facilities. Campers using the pitches have full access to recycling, waste, chemical toilet dump but they appear to have forgotten a grey waste dump to trickle onto gravel hardstanding !
The showers and toilets are spotless and available 24/7 for pitch occupiers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's on Search for sites with some mixed reviews ...not all good

To charge £7.50 extra for grey and black waste over and above site fee is profiteering. The site offers very little other than basics of water and electricity. Skye views obscured as the site sits in a shallow bowl with earth banks surrounding. Good view of waste disposal and bottle banks though. A case of over promising and under delivering. Indicative, we were the only unit on site on a Sunday in June. Felt very unwelcoming.

Last edited:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Do you happen to know if the black disposal is straight to the ground so suitable for black tank emptying as opposed to cassette?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do you happen to know if the black disposal is straight to the ground so suitable for black tank emptying as opposed to cassette?
there are some photos on Searchforsites, it doesn't look like a drive-over facility

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Arrived at this site and I can confirm the £7.50 for the waste is Not an additional charge to the pitch charge, if you just want to dump you can do it between the hours of 9am to 5pm (shop hours) as you need an entry code to access facilities. Campers using the pitches have full access to recycling, waste, chemical toilet dump but they appear to have forgotten a grey waste dump to trickle onto gravel hardstanding !
The showers and toilets are spotless and available 24/7 for pitch occupiers
With showers and toilets as well as waste disposal and including EHU, makes the £25 a much more acceptable price.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I don't think so but Otter Spotter has been on site, he'll be able to confirm for you

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With showers and toilets as well as waste disposal and including EHU, makes the £25 a much more acceptable price.
thats at odds with some of the reviews on Searchforsites..

Arrived at 4pm, shop, cafe, including toilets closing. When i asked about toilets ‘you have a motorhome’ yep, but still prefer toilets for £30 a night! £30!! Bit expensive but preferred site was full. The additional £7.50 for waste was the last straw.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
thats at odds with some of the reviews on Searchforsites..
I stand corrected, there is a contactless reader at the chemical dump so on the face of it you do have to pay the extra £7.50 to dump black and grey waste( see photo)
I will be speaking to the cafe staff tomorrow regarding this as it is making this site expensive and even worse they have locked the toilets though showers are still open !
I will report back tomorrow. Bugger me, I have just seen the website and it’s £30 per night, glad I only paid £25. 🥴
IMG_1044.jpeg

There is no drive over for grey or black waste. sign on lid confirms instructions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bugger me, I have just seen the website and it’s £30 per night, glad I only paid £25.
I think it was £30 for July and August only.
At those prices though I'd only be using the dump, as a day visitor - except I don't have to, the house black waste loo is only an hour's drive north :roflmto:

Last edited:

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Off season, £25 + £7.50 = £32.50 for a camper stop is expensive ..

typical Camper Park Aire in France with a 6A EHU is €14 , about £12

its understandable why people just use a lay-by ..myself included
More appropriate to compare with elsewhere on Skye and elsewhere in remote parts of Scotland, I would suggest.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More appropriate to compare with elsewhere on Skye and elsewhere in remote parts of Scotland, I would suggest.

Explain why you think it is justified charging £7.50 on top of a pitch fee of £30 for a what is basically a car park ..

but if you want to compare... example..and have a look at the location on the photos

Carbost Pier​

Community run stop, £10pn
Water £1 for 50lt

Granted, no EHU .. but who wants to pay £26 for leccy ?
Review
A perfect spot to stop over and enjoy the water. The Tallesker whisky tour and shop is a 2min walk as is the Oyster Shed and The Old Inn to enjoy a beer or a meal while overlooking the bay. Very quiet evening Suitable for vans up to 7.5m and only 5vans allowed on the site. A gentleman will come around for your money or you can use the honesty box on the information sign.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
You're right no amenities block but you can do "camping behaviour" outside the van.
For £30 a night? or £37.50 with the black and grey disposal? Hard Pass.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
For £30 a night? or £37.50 with the black and grey disposal? Hard Pass.
In reality you wouldn’t be dumping waste each day, for me it’s probably every 3 days so it breaks down to an extra £2.50 per day which in their high season still makes it £32.50 for an aire with a shop and cafes which currently is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Only one walk from site and on 3 sides no views. I am regretting booking 6 nights, it means we will have to drive off each day.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
In reality you wouldn’t be dumping waste each day, for me it’s probably every 3 days so it breaks down to an extra £2.50 per day which in their high season still makes it £32.50 for an aire with a shop and cafes which currently is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Only one walk from site and on 3 sides no views. I am regretting booking 6 nights, it means we will have to drive off each day.
I bet, I love skye but never would stay there, I remember going to thier cafe once and thinking it would be a nice wee quick stopover and a quick shop and coffee but nothing else. Elsan wise the one at portree is only £3 and the one I usually use when on skye.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I don’t think they will be short of visitors even at that price. It’s a beautiful part of the world.

It’s the conundrum of small sites currently with the ridiculous electricity prices foisted upon us.

Too much for us I am afraid, I hope they do well though and the pricing reaches the right level to make it work for them. 👍
They may get the “hire van” people in, who do not really have the concept of what owning and using your own camper/Moho is all about. For me the fact that the price includes EHU is a bad compulsory inclusion. I have spent time and expense gearing my van up to be off grid, so to have pay for something that I do not need does not work for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back