Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I am really appreciating all the input here. I am learning so much and feel less naive and out of my depth. Perhaps you can help educate me some more?

I need to get my head around the Premium Upgrade Packs too. I notice premium pack features seem to morph into standard as the year rolls on. All bargaining chips I presume. Things like an auto-box, solar panel, reversing camera etc seem to get thrown in at the shows and make up a percentage of the discount. All of the above items I would definitely need.

Two other things I need to bear in mind. One may or may not be BS, and that (according to the sales guy) is a price increase due at end of October of £3k by the manufacturer. The other I'll take on board as from a trusted source and that is that the demand for Merc chassis is going to outstrip supplies. So, waiting too long may mean no vehicle at all. Dealers in the know are pre-ordering.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
(according to the sales guy) is a price increase due at end of October of £3k by the manufacturer.
The salesmanship job is not to persuade you to buy a motorhome remember. The fact you are there means you are going to buy a motorhome. The salesman has 2 jobs and 2 jobs only.

Persuade you to buy your motor home from his dealership
Persuade you to buy it NOW

So ask yourself...
Does it seem likely that October is the month when a manufacturer puts their prices up?
Does it seem likely that a salesperson at a dealership will have advance knowledge of the pricing strategy of an international company?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
please dont forget, warranty repairs, they WILL happen so you dont want to be 100's of miles from the supplying dealer, having said that I agree will others, sales people have NO credibility they will stuff you over if they get the chance on px/credit%/deliverytimes, you just have to balance price with service. Trust no one, get everything in writing and remember theres allways another day/deal/motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
please dont forget, warranty repairs, they WILL happen so you dont want to be 100's of miles from the supplying dealer, having said that I agree will others, sales people have NO credibility they will stuff you over if they get the chance on px/credit%/deliverytimes, you just have to balance price with service. Trust no one, get everything in writing and remember theres allways another day/deal/motorhome.

You will if buying an Autotrail....I suggest you move near the factory :D

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Had an Autotrail on a Fiat chassis with comformatic gearbox. Never, ever again for either.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am really appreciating all the input here. I am learning so much and feel less naive and out of my depth. Perhaps you can help educate me some more?

I need to get my head around the Premium Upgrade Packs too. I notice premium pack features seem to morph into standard as the year rolls on. All bargaining chips I presume. Things like an auto-box, solar panel, reversing camera etc seem to get thrown in at the shows and make up a percentage of the discount. All of the above items I would definitely need.

Two other things I need to bear in mind. One may or may not be BS, and that (according to the sales guy) is a price increase due at end of October of £3k by the manufacturer. The other I'll take on board as from a trusted source and that is that the demand for Merc chassis is going to outstrip supplies. So, waiting too long may mean no vehicle at all. Dealers in the know are pre-ordering.

Oh my.....they are playing on your naivity
Wear ear plugs, make your own decisions based on due dilegence...

Your spending £70,000? They should be being ever so nice to you, not employing cheap blackmail tactics..ifthere is sprice rise it should be absorbed into a decent discount. Not the derisory 2% you have been offered. If price gone up they should be doing more to get your business!

Have a look at some German vans when there, modern non wood construction, lighter, good payloads. Buying s motorhome about practicalities and quality. Flashy interiors do not alone make for a trouble free van! just look at all the unhappy autotrail owners about

Simply be more circumspect. As I said earlier best not buy from shows at all atmosphere to heated with lot of excited people sbout...go look but make decision later

Eddie

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Had an Autotrail on a Fiat chassis with comformatic gearbox. Never, ever again for either.
Oops.....Got my vans/wires crossed...

Someone who agrees with me:) don't like the sound of fiat semi auto either. Much prefer a 6 speed manual

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
When you have negotiated the price of the MH, don't accept the first price of the extras there's plenty of room for movement there too.
Etap

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I am somewhat limited by my required spec which are NON negotiable.

Merc auto.
Twin beds.
Separate lounge.

The lack of Mercs really limits the field. My chosen vehicle at the moment is an Autosleeper Burford Duo.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Merc auto.
Twin beds.
Separate lounge.

The lack of Mercs really limits the field. My chosen vehicle at the moment is an Autosleeper Burford Duo.

Have you given any thought to having something custom built

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Merc auto.
Twin beds.
Separate lounge.

Looked at video. That is one long overhang from rear axle. With the heavy bathroom strung out at the back I would question handling, rear axle capacity...
test drive!. Your not buying furniture:)

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Yes, I saw the huge overhang and it concerns me. It is possible to have a tower fitted to them too. I've not seen any complaints about them in that regards though.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Merc auto.
Twin beds.
Separate lounge.

Any particular reason why you're fixed on a mercedes auto ?
We have a 3ltr Fiat auto, and are very happy with it. Maybe one for you to consider ?

Ignore - just saw your earlier post

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes, I saw the huge overhang and it concerns me. It is possible to have a tower fitted to them too. I've not seen any complaints about them in that regards though.

unfortunately UK magazines do not test and publish any real information as to the weights etc.. German vans are easily researched, weights even down to each individual wheel available. If set one one, I would make a weighbridge ticket part of the contract. nothing worse then getting a van that does no have a practical payload or storage, gas bottle capacity. or terrible handling......the only way to know is to have a proper test drive....:censored:

would you buy a car without test driving it......Thought not:LOL:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

Exchange rate above 1.3 for some time now...
More Eurovans hitting the UK at lower prices. I'd say it's a VERY competitive market at the moment - I'm sure there's room for a hard haggle, not just a few extras or a couple of percent off.
Even more so if you want a British van, can't imagine prices are rising...
We're approaching the point where a Carthago costs less than a Swift ! You'd have to be pretty patriotic to choose the latter :LOL:

Travelworld have this van arriving soon, looks like it ticks your boxes ?
http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/m-lt/580/1649/

Even a 4 x 4 version ? (at a price!)
http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/m-lt/580-4x4/1576/

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
TW prices outrageous
They have a Hymer we like for £25000 more then an import.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought about one, then looked at from the side, it is a full sized caravan body lifted onto the Merc chassis, the rear wheel is right at the centre of the body it must swing out miles turning sharply. That might just end up witha nasty insurance claim. I cannot imagine trying to tow with it, impossible I would think.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
They are all imports...well the good ones are:)

Completely different topic.

It would be daft to start another thread within this one about the whys and wherefores of buying imports but you have to accept surely that imports are a plus and minus prospect and not everyone want one..
As I said in another topic its daunting enough prospect is spending in this chaps thread 70K on a motor home. So to keep saying import will surely load the situation ..

Just my 2p s worth.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You have lost me (again)....OP looking at British vans? I was just commenting on the specific dealer mentioned outrageous prices...

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
The issue for us is the right layout on the right chassis. Country of origin is not the issue, although quality of build is a necessary requirement. The AutoSleeper Burford Duo on a Merc is the perfect layout for us but with comes with really crap storage. The solution mentioned at the NEC was a Fiamma box, so that's an option we hadn't thought of. Although we have explained that the MH may be sold elsewhere, so far all the sales people really want to do the deal as a PX. It has also been confirmed that the price will rise at the end of October by £1500.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The issue for us is the right layout on the right chassis. Country of origin is not the issue, although quality of build is a necessary requirement. The AutoSleeper Burford Duo on a Merc is the perfect layout for us but with comes with really crap storage. The solution mentioned at the NEC was a Fiamma box, so that's an option we hadn't thought of. Although we have explained that the MH may be sold elsewhere, so far all the sales people really want to do the deal as a PX. It has also been confirmed that the price will rise at the end of October by £1500.

a box on back seriously, dealer suggestion?lol Extending the weight on that already enormous overhang. Its probably a pig to drive anyway and as others have said easy to damage when maneuvering...Have a test drive. personally I would think again. glad you at least noticed the storage issue. a bathroom where garage should be makes little sense. (mainly for weight distribution)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You have lost me (again)....OP looking at British vans? I was just commenting on the specific dealer mentioned outrageous prices...
With respect.
It was your comments about buying an import
TW prices outrageous
They have a Hymer we like for £25000 more then an import.
Unquote.

Again with respect you tell us all often about how imports are cheaper. Well we know that. We also know why...

Like I said not everyone wants or even perhaps has the experience to risk buying an imported vehicle.

As you say the OP is looking at a British van and I have no idea if its possible or likely to be able to buy a British van in Europe ?

If it isn't then those of us who have bought British vans have bought according to your post above are less than good..

Im not looking at picking an argument mate I have to mush respect for you to do that but You dont arf bang on about imports. No problem with that but its just not for everyone and constantly being reminded we may have either bought not good vans or paid to much aint really necessary ?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Although we have not met him yet, we like to read @Judgemental his posts as give some balance to the rose-tinted view of motorhomes that some (us included when we started out) of us, especially Newbies, have. Whilst importing is not an option for everyone it is interesting to see what is possible from someone who has done it, researched & knows the process (y) We have seen people buying motorhomes at dealerships & shows without any negotiation which is frustrating! With knowledge we should all get a fairer deal whatever we choose :)

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I've joined the AS forum and asked about drive quality etc. I also did a search on there and apart from a few build niggles, everyone seems really pleased with theirs. As a wise person once said YMMV.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've joined the AS forum and asked about drive quality etc. I also did a search on there and apart from a few build niggles, everyone seems really pleased with theirs. As a wise person once said YMMV.

fairy snuff..but I try to look for a van with a wheel as close to each corned as possible for pretty obvious reasons

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back