Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi,

Fingers crossed, we are now cash buyers for a new AutoSleeper, as our MH is potentially going to a new home.

Even though we had said this private sale was a distinct possibility, when we told the dealer who originally gave us a price on trade-in that we had managed to sell it, he really got quite miffed. Ok... annoyed. I mean really annoyed. The company had been phoning at least twice every day to try and do the trade-in deal. I know it's their job but I found it pressuring and pestering.

As it is, they won't budge on their quoted price for us as a cash buyer and said we wouldn't get anywhere near as good a deal at the NEC. I don't know if that is true or BS. I'm no haggler and hate the sales pressure so not sure of the best strategy to get the best price/deal.

TIA, Mary

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It's a no brainer!
The reason the dealer is miffed is because he was going to make a tidy profit from the PX namely sell on your old motorhome for a lot more than you sold it to the dealer and as such his profit margin has probably disappeared.
If your still happy to buy the motorhome from him at the price agreed use a credit card not cash. You will have added protection from the CC company should something go wrong.
Also, acquaint yourself with your new rights under the revised sale of goods act that came out in the beginning of October. You might want to ask for their opinion of this new legislation as a way of ensuring they know, you know these new enhanced rights for the buyer.
Best of luck and Safe Travels

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - we bought cash at the NEC - it still took Pilote 4 months to make it !

We just paid a deposit by card on the day.

The dealer obviously was looking forward to making mega bucks when he sold yours and quoted you a price which incorporated a saving of some of that profit. That being the case he should have said - if you don't P/X the cash price will be £ whatever. No point in him getting stroppy or pushy with you - why would you wish to give a complete bully your money - we need any dealer to be completely approachable 'just in case' don't we?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I've taken your approach many times when trading in cars, and am surprised at your dealers attitude. I'd always regarded the px offer as an "underwrite", and the balancing number between that and the new vehicle cost to be the " difference to change" . In other words, the px value is the minimum that I'm going to get for the vehicle, so if I can't sell it before the due date, I am at least guaranteed that figure.

So the agreed price for the new vehicle would be just that, and to do the deal would be either old vehicle plus cash, or just cash.

Strangely in the current climate, cash is no longer King, and the dealers will often prefer you to take their finance, as they make a commission on it. This is before they try to flog you gap cover, paint protection, upholstety protection, tyre insurance and so on.

My thoughts would be either change dealer, who frankly seems to need to get a grip, and negotiate hard at nec.

Often in the past when negotiating, if is easier for extras to be thrown in rather than the price pushed down beyond a certain point. Dealer has margins in every part of the transaction (not a criticism, just how he makes his business work) so maybe instead of getting a £1k off, you might be able to get £1k of extras that you'd like to have as the true cost to the dealer will be less. Equally you might get free servicing and hab check as opposed to more money off.

When negotiating, you must never be afraid to ask. He can only say no. Then, when he says no, the response is " ok, what can you do then". There isn't any embarrassment at being refused, the salesman won't think anything of it, as long as you approach them in a friendly manner, it'll be water off a ducks back.

I'd also suggest you make a last push once you've got the deal to where you want it, along the lines of " ok, I'm looking to buy today, and if you can do £x, I'll sign now." I always make the £x just below the round number eg if the deal has got to £35,248 I'd suggest x is £34,999. If they even drop to £35,200, that's still an extra £48 in your pocket below the price which you have already settled in your mind as ok.

I always try to relate these final end savings to food, so even a final £20 off is a free take away on Saturday night..

Good luck !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If there is not a deal at the NEC, try what I did, as I knew exactly what van I wanted and had no trade in..
Found every Authorised dealer that sold the brand and van I wanted, contacted each one and asked best price and I will be down with the cash... Some did not have what I wanted, most all quoted 10% off list then one quoted a lot more off and we did the deal.. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi Mary, with the dealer reacting like that it makes you wonder if they've already taken a deposit on your old mh......we were pushed several times by dealers to do just that, to ensure 1st dibs when it came in....awful practice.

P.s.I've sent you a pm

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I've had a few PM's asking me for the dealer's name. Let me just say the dealer has a very good reputation especially on the after sales side, which is why we approached them in the first place. To me after sales is a big positive.

We have had calls from 2 or 3 different people within the firm as courtesy calls etc. To me that's ok....

But the over eager push, push, impatient push from this one guy? I think he's looking for his own commission and wanted to close a deal as he is not going to the NEC. If he is Sales, why not? Maybe it's desperation on his part and little to do with the company as a whole as their website says they don't use such tactics. His attitude does them no favours however.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here is my take. Dealers sitting on old stock will want to get rid this year. We visit shows , make a connection but never buy. It's a crazy atmosphere IMO, better deals to be had afterwards with winter fast approaching...

Just be cheeky, leave offer with them and walk away...always plenty of other vans about. Above all be your own man and don't take the BS seriously..

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I don't know if people are aware that the October show the trade stands are manned by staff from the franchisees so its possible that Wizbangs could meet his not so friendly dealer manning the Autotrail stand :cautious:. Keeping this in mind he could approach a different salesman and maybe get a better deal.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Do not rush. Dealer are keener than you to make a deal as its their income, but as they are experienced they seem calm and make it seem like the deal is just for you and only for the day. Its a load of tosh generally. Exceptions may be demonstrators where there is one only.
If you are after a mainstream make, as someone said above, ring around - but not straight after show as they will be busy - do it at a quiet time (December?).
Dealers will tell you what they think you need to hear to make a deal.
So, in my view, don't go to buy. Go to view and research only. Don't get excited - other vans generally exist!
(PS - been paid to work at NEC to talk about vans, NOT to sell, and I've heard many things said to try and close a sale which are complete tosh )

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't know if people are aware that the October show the trade stands are manned by staff from the franchisees so its possible that Wizbangs could meet his not so friendly dealer manning the Autotrail stand :cautious:. Keeping this in mind he could approach a different salesman and maybe get a better deal.

Yes that's how it works. different dealers have their own salesman on stands..get a quote from all. Play them off against each other.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Do not rush. Dealer are keener than you to make a deal as its their income, but as they are experienced they seem calm and make it seem like the deal is just for you and only for the day. Its a load of tosh generally. Exceptions may be demonstrators where there is one only.
If you are after a mainstream make, as someone said above, ring around - but not straight after show as they will be busy - do it at a quiet time (December?).
Dealers will tell you what they think you need to hear to make a deal.
So, in my view, don't go to buy. Go to view and research only. Don't get excited - other vans generally exist!
(PS - been paid to work at NEC to talk about vans, NOT to sell, and I've heard many things said to try and close a sale which are complete tosh )

Spot on!:)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Mary, would do no harm when dealing with the dealer to say you are a active member of Motorhome Fun, and been getting opinions on different Motorhomes, don't be bullied, and you are looking around.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Bought at NEC last year. 10% after a bit of haggling. Good luck (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Tee hee. When we were looking at the upholstery samples, having placed the order Bill Hayes told us we could take the sample book away with us and decide later. We both did a double take at this - nowhere near the end of the show - and so did Lee, the salesman. 'Are you sure, Bill?' he asked, guardedly.

'Yes - absolutely positive!!' quoth Bill, as he turned the book completely over to display the name of another well-known Pilote dealer also manning the stand at times but not right then, on its reverse! We all howled with laughter.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Oh- forgot to say....
If you think the salesmen are your friend, walk around the show 30 mins before opening (OK - most people can't) - but if you could, blimey. You would get the impression the "punters" are "lambs for the slaughter" and ready to be taken for all they can.
Some big stands have their sales guys raving and cheering and the like, akin to call-centres and double glazing salesmen getting themselves primed to go in to battle (watch Watchdog type programs!).
Cheering for the best sales of the previous day (bonus or whatever due) and really talking about sales as if it was a p**ng up the wall contest. Its a game. Based on commission.
But, as ever, (my parents included lol), people go with excitement, money to burn, and get talked into how critical it is on the day to sign.
Its not, you'll just be a number towards that sales guys target, and if you got upsold something more expensive you'll be joked about whist swigging champagne.

Not saying they are all like this, and for sure where we helped out it wasn't like that, but we saw this in multiple places on a daily basis.

Unless its a demonstrator, or a hand-made van, or you need it ASAP, then the discounts will always be there - and much better to shop around at a quieter time.

However, as people get older they believe more of the sales talk :(

Trust no one lol - do your research and buy smart

Good luck with the battle ;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh- forgot to say....
If you think the salesmen are your friend, walk around the show 30 mins before opening (OK - most people can't) - but if you could, blimey. You would get the impression the "punters" are "lambs for the slaughter" and ready to be taken for all they can.
Some big stands have their sales guys raving and cheering and the like, akin to call-centres and double glazing salesmen getting themselves primed to go in to battle (watch Watchdog type programs!).
Cheering for the best sales of the previous day (bonus or whatever due) and really talking about sales as if it was a p**ng up the wall contest. Its a game. Based on commission.
But, as ever, (my parents included lol), people go with excitement, money to burn, and get talked into how critical it is on the day to sign.
Its not, you'll just be a number towards that sales guys target, and if you got upsold something more expensive you'll be joked about whist swigging champagne.

Not saying they are all like this, and for sure where we helped out it wasn't like that, but we saw this in multiple places on a daily basis.

Unless its a demonstrator, or a hand-made van, or you need it ASAP, then the discounts will always be there - and much better to shop around at a quieter time.

However, as people get older they believe more of the sales talk :(

Trust no one lol - do your research and buy smart

Good luck with the battle ;)

Oh yes they are:) in the UK anyway...we are the host and they just feed of us making up all sorts on nonsense for the naive punters they eat for breakfast :censored:

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
My guess why the dealer was miffed is when a nice van is due in for PX they have a list of people on their books waiting and the salesperson probably made arrangements for a viewing so that valuable sales space is not taken up. Many would say go abroad and buy but the NEC might cut out the middle man, you may not get a huge discount but you might get plenty of free extras.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I also am looking very closely at a new van but old stock, with a discount,BUT I do not have the money at the moment as it depends on the sale of a house that I have which is still being worked on prior to going on the market. This obviously holds me back but when I am ready I will buy the one I want if it is still there and I will get the best price as it will be starvation time for the salesman, after Xmas when the money dries up. I will then get it registered in 2016 year if not registration. I have the alternative of buying another make Hymer ML-I A class from Germany. This is a LOT cheaper than the UK price but I will tackle the factory rep as to why they are more expensive here and hear the whines and wriggles as to how much more expensive to make a RHD. Whatever it is it will be an automatic, preferably a merc base. The battle of NEC starts Tuesday.
Remember BE HARDER, they are not your friends only sharks swimming in a pool around you and your wallet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I also am looking very closely at a new van but old stock, with a discount,BUT I do not have the money at the moment as it depends on the sale of a house that I have which is still being worked on prior to going on the market. This obviously holds me back but when I am ready I will buy the one I want if it is still there and I will get the best price as it will be starvation time for the salesman, after Xmas when the money dries up. I will then get it registered in 2016 year if not registration. I have the alternative of buying another make Hymer ML-I A class from Germany. This is a LOT cheaper than the UK price but I will tackle the factory rep as to why they are more expensive here and hear the whines and wriggles as to how much more expensive to make a RHD. Whatever it is it will be an automatic, preferably a merc base. The battle of NEC starts Tuesday.
Remember BE HARDER, they are not your friends only sharks swimming in a pool around you and your wallet.

Most RHD are not handed so not proper RHD, its only the cab base that RHD

I only know, price of RHD option from two manufacturers. One £1400 one £1700 from options list... Not that I'm interestead in RHD anyway but until the above is the price difference and not the inflated prices they chatge over here stops, they can get stuffed:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've only ever bought one MH at the NEC show, all others have been at outdoor shows or dealers' premises. The NEC one was a bit of a no-brainer - we saw a MH that ticked all the boxes so we then set about researching it to ensure we got it for a good price and also asked other dealers who could supply it too how much it would cost to change (ie our existing MH + £?), the one we went with, and travelled 250 miles from home to buy from, offered us a PX valuation on our old MH which was £3,000 more than anyone else had so it was well worth the journey to save that sort of money, none of the other dealers could come close. If we hadn't been PXing though the cost of the new MH wouldn't have been reduced by that amount as they usually don't have that much 'profit' tied up just in a sales ... its the PXes that make the most money for them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You obviously know exactly which MH you want so do your research before you visit the NEC then you will be able to decide if the prices you are quoted are even worth considering or haggling down - if they are very high you'll be unlikely to get it down to a figure you'd be happy with.

I suppose the other question is does it have to be new? We knew exactly which PVC we wanted and got a 2015 demonstrator with around 300 miles on it - a great deal including a very, very good PX. Even selling our old camper privately and then buying outright for cash wouldn't have got us a better deal. The main reason for our 'great buy' was that we did our research and were able to haggle hard!

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
So far we've got £1,500 off from the initial dealer. This is on a £70K+ vehicle. My concern with a distant dealer is getting any after sales done.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So far we've got £1,500 off from the initial dealer. This is on a £70K+ vehicle. My concern with a distant dealer is getting any after sales done.
Maths not my strong point but that's a preety pathtic discount approx 2%!..:whistle:

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Suggest if you agree a deal that you have 24 hours to cool off & check everything before paying any
money - any reasonable salesperson will agree to this. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt.... and the motorhome:)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As mentioned earlier, cash isn't always King as the dealers can make commission by selling you finance.

What I did once years ago was negotiate a deal based on cash, then haggled them down a bit further based on me taking finance. I only had to make one payment on the finance then I was free to clear the rest without penalty, the dealer still got his commission. It cost me something paltry like £6 in interest and knocked about £300 off the price of the vehicle, from what I remember.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As mentioned earlier, cash isn't always King as the dealers can make commission by selling you finance.

What I did once years ago was negotiate a deal based on cash, then haggled them down a bit further based on me taking finance. I only had to make one payment on the finance then I was free to clear the rest without penalty, the dealer still got his commission. It cost me something paltry like £6 in interest and knocked about £300 off the price of the vehicle, from what I remember.
Unfortunately there tend to be admin and early repayment charges on these type of loans so you'd be very unlikely nowadays to get away with only paying £6 more!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back