Motorhome or Campervan?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by callumwa, Jul 25, 2014.

1. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We are trying to decide where to head next week. North to Scotland or South.

Anyhow,searching on a website of a company which has 6 sites in Scotland, 4 of which we have stayed on before, on entering our party details, dates and choosing motorhome as "Tourer Type", only one site showed as having vacancies.

However if we resubmit all the details exactly the same as before including number of people, dates and the exact same length of van, but change the option in the drop down menu from Motorhome to Campervan, all sites now have vacancies on the dates we searched. It's also the same result if I searched using caravan of the same length.

I can find nothing on their site which gives definition of either motorhome or campervan.

Strange as they stand to loose business due to this anomaly, especially as the length submitted on both searches is exactly the same....

Why would they not show vacancies for a motorhome, but a Campervan of the same length is ok......?

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Is there a option for
    White tin can:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. davejen

davejen Funster

Ask them!
    Cheers, Dave(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I'd class yours as a Motorhome , same as ours. I'd say a panel van or a vdub or smaller was a campervan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'd phone and ask just in case it was more to do with height than length.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

It's a bit like booking the channel tunnel, the option is 'Campervan' regardless of what sort.

I suppose it's more difficult for a computerised site to be set up to recognise;

Camper
    Campervan
    Camper van
    Motorhome
    Motor home
    Motorcaravan
    Motor caravan
    RV etc
    When as far as a booking is concerned they are all the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

'cos us campervan people are much nicer than you motorhome lot :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I would class our van as a motorhome as well .

Funny thing, talking with the "boss" I now remember this happened when we used one of these sites a couple of years ago. No pitches for motorhomes according to the website, but plenty available for campers vans. I just put our van down as a campervan, but with our correct appropriate length.
    We had no problems at any of the sites, no height restrictions, bags of space on the pitches, and no one questioned us about what type of van we had.

Just seems to me these sites could be loosing out on business just because of the way there web site bookings seem to work.

9. Andy

Andy Funster

I stayed on a site in west sussex recently, whilst walking my dog I spotted Funster sticker in Four Winds Mh manovering....went up to say hi, to be greeted by them saying they couldn't stay as the owners had said 'they were too big' ??? there was plenty of room, and no height restriction on site........and from the looks of it Mh wasn't all that longer than mine.

They weren't funsters,.........previous owner was !

10. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Call it what you like,my worry is that if you start to draw lines in the sand..... Can a motorhome/pvc/v.dub conversion park in a space for "Camping K/Cars"??
    I thought m/home was the type of vehicle ,same as a bus could be single or double decker.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  11. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The same problems occurs with local authorities. York City has a notice on its website stating that motorhomes cannot use any of it city car parks only the P&R sites.

I have written to them from The Motorhome Tourism Organisation pointing out that there are 25 models from different manufactures that will fit under a 2m height barrier and fit inside a standard 5m x 2.5 parking bay. There are 6 more that are under 5.5m on length and under 2m and others that are just over 2m in height.

The aim is to keep large vehicles out of the narrow city centre but this blanket grouping by a descriptive word can be confusing and it would be better to use the height and length criteria.

Aberdeen City Council are trying to prevent travellers setting up unlawful camps. They are trying to bring in a bylaw that would prevent any Motorhome or campervan driving to, from or within the designated areas between 6pm and 6am. We only got the wording of this bylaw on Wednesday evening and objections had to be in by close of business on Thursday. We have tried to submit objections by email to the Scottish Government as the only address given was for snail mail and no email given linked to that department. We have been asking Aberdeen City Council about this matter since April and suspect that they have withheld the information deliberately only advertising it in the local papers at the beginning of June. Our last request went in on 2nd July and was only dealt with on 22nd. By trying for the bylaw it would make this a criminal offence.

• Like Like x 1