Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are trying to decide where to head next week. North to Scotland or South.

Anyhow,searching on a website of a company which has 6 sites in Scotland, 4 of which we have stayed on before, on entering our party details, dates and choosing motorhome as "Tourer Type", only one site showed as having vacancies.

However if we resubmit all the details exactly the same as before including number of people, dates and the exact same length of van, but change the option in the drop down menu from Motorhome to Campervan, all sites now have vacancies on the dates we searched. It's also the same result if I searched using caravan of the same length.

I can find nothing on their site which gives definition of either motorhome or campervan.

Strange as they stand to loose business due to this anomaly, especially as the length submitted on both searches is exactly the same....

Why would they not show vacancies for a motorhome, but a Campervan of the same length is ok......?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Ask them!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'd class yours as a Motorhome , same as ours. I'd say a panel van or a vdub or smaller was a campervan.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's a bit like booking the channel tunnel, the option is 'Campervan' regardless of what sort.

I suppose it's more difficult for a computerised site to be set up to recognise;

Camper
Campervan
Camper van
Motorhome
Motor home
Motorcaravan
Motor caravan
RV etc
When as far as a booking is concerned they are all the same thing.

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'd class yours as a Motorhome , same as ours. I'd say a panel van or a vdub or smaller was a campervan.

I'd phone and ask just in case it was more to do with height than length.

I would class our van as a motorhome as well .

Funny thing, talking with the "boss" I now remember this happened when we used one of these sites a couple of years ago. No pitches for motorhomes according to the website, but plenty available for campers vans. I just put our van down as a campervan, but with our correct appropriate length.
We had no problems at any of the sites, no height restrictions, bags of space on the pitches, and no one questioned us about what type of van we had.

Just seems to me these sites could be loosing out on business just because of the way there web site bookings seem to work.

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I stayed on a site in west sussex recently, whilst walking my dog I spotted Funster sticker in Four Winds Mh manovering....went up to say hi, to be greeted by them saying they couldn't stay as the owners had said 'they were too big' ??? there was plenty of room, and no height restriction on site........and from the looks of it Mh wasn't all that longer than mine.

They weren't funsters,.........previous owner was !

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Call it what you like,my worry is that if you start to draw lines in the sand..... Can a motorhome/pvc/v.dub conversion park in a space for "Camping K/Cars"??
I thought m/home was the type of vehicle ,same as a bus could be single or double decker.
Tea Bag

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The same problems occurs with local authorities. York City has a notice on its website stating that motorhomes cannot use any of it city car parks only the P&R sites.

I have written to them from The Motorhome Tourism Organisation pointing out that there are 25 models from different manufactures that will fit under a 2m height barrier and fit inside a standard 5m x 2.5 parking bay. There are 6 more that are under 5.5m on length and under 2m and others that are just over 2m in height.

The aim is to keep large vehicles out of the narrow city centre but this blanket grouping by a descriptive word can be confusing and it would be better to use the height and length criteria.

Aberdeen City Council are trying to prevent travellers setting up unlawful camps. They are trying to bring in a bylaw that would prevent any Motorhome or campervan driving to, from or within the designated areas between 6pm and 6am. We only got the wording of this bylaw on Wednesday evening and objections had to be in by close of business on Thursday. We have tried to submit objections by email to the Scottish Government as the only address given was for snail mail and no email given linked to that department. We have been asking Aberdeen City Council about this matter since April and suspect that they have withheld the information deliberately only advertising it in the local papers at the beginning of June. Our last request went in on 2nd July and was only dealt with on 22nd. By trying for the bylaw it would make this a criminal offence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back