Motorhome Fun Canoe & Kayaking Club

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Armytwowheels, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Ok, so following my vast experience of canoeing and kayaking since......hard to remember really, started way back in early June 2013 - I thought I would see how many other paddlers were on here. You never know this could rival the C&CC boating section.

I have already noticed that some of the Fun meets are very near suitable paddling rivers and canals so who knows, a mass paddle may be in order. Or even a trip to each others play grounds for a paddle.

To start the ball rolling we are Sandra and Colin and currently have an inflatable canoe and a Canadian Canoe ( which is being drive down the M1 on the roof of my friends car as I type this). We are also hoping to get a couple of sea kayaks ready for next year. We did a 2 day flat water skills course last year and really enjoyed it, hoping to do a beginners white water course soon.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Hello, we are Alan Jayne and Sebastian and for the last two years we have taken our campervan to Lake Lacanau in France but this year we bought a Seaeagle Fast Track inflatable Kayak. We joined a local kayak club and have participated in organised weekends away.

The Seaeagle is great I wanted a inflatable for storage and portability and was really surprised at how good it was considering we had only ever used the plastic kayaks plus its a two seater we are always looking for new places to go and explore cheers Alan.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hello Sandra and Colin we are the Kelly family and have an inflatable kayak.Pre marriage and kids I used to be a member of the Rutland canoe club and paddled both kayaks and canoes.If your after some white water experience Holmpierpoint in Nottingham is a great place to learn safely,
    Mrs Vlad is not too keen however,my 2 girls like it,their only 6 and 9 so i do most of the paddling !
    Not long back from Scotland where we had lots of fun in the sea!

Vlad.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Why not pay us a visit either on line or showroom, well stocked with Sevylor inflatables and paddles etc all with Funsters discount:thumb:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I can highly recommend canoeing down the Dordogne past all the Chateaus and Medieval Villages, its not exactly white water more a leisurely meander but great fun. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Motorhome Fun Canoe & Kayaking Club

Pretty damned exclusive.

When you get to two members pop the Champagne.

7. bailey

bailey

As long as they don't come up my neck of the woods the times they have wasted my fishing when crossing my lines ,when you consider that I pay for a permit do they,,,,,,

Bill

8. Armytwowheels

Hello the Kelly family. I never noticed that you are Rutlanders, only down the road to us. Do you paddle on Rutland water or is it not allowed?

Your photo looks great, I wish we had had a canoe when we went to Scotland last year. We are taking the inflatable to France and hope to do a bit of paddling along the coast. Someone told me the granite coast, Brittany is good for hugging the coastline.

9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

hi i am a paddler but don't do much now apart from with the cadets level for kayak coach is the level i got to now but still go with fends when i can have a dagger free-fall kayak been paddling from the age of 10 if that any good was adventurous training officer with the army cadets for a while now run my own kyaking for my cadet unit

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

yes but do they have right of navigation do they live fishing line laying around every where the only thing a canoeist levies i a wake behind him and yes we do pay for our sport and have as much right to use the river as you do and i usual find my shelf collecting discarded fishing line and litter left by fisher men this is a kyaking post not a debate on the right to use the river most rivers hav a right of navigation but not a right to fish fishing i a privilege given to you by the land owner so let not get our head up our bums they want to have fun OK so don't go peeing on there bonfire:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Oooo, must agree - really lovely that bit of river! :BigGrin:

12. Armytwowheels

If a river is navagatable then it is going to be used by boats, canoes and Kayaks. Even fisherman use them when it suits them. :BigGrin:

13. bailey

bailey

There's always one that that gets on his high horse and by the way there is no right of navigation on Scottish Rivers. My point is regardless of your view as Fishermen we contribute financially to the rivers and don't tar everyone with the we have left lines and hooks in the river.And the fact is that with the money raised from fishing and tourism keeps our rivers clear also the amount of work we put into the system i have every right to express my point of view

Bill

14. att

att Read Only Funster

I live on the confluence of two rivers, it would be silly not to have a Canadian canoe and a boat.
    Had a sea kayak too, but the river thing is so much more relaxing:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Armytwowheels

Not meant to be exclusive Brian, just in the same vain as the running thread isn't, just as the Rugby chat isn't meant to be exclusive. It's for those that have a particular interest in that pastime, narrowing it down a bit for those that are interested.

Anyway, if there is a bottle of champagne going I'll take it. Took delivery of our new (2nd hand) canoe tonight, plus some petty class looking wooden paddles with hardwood edges, which we weren't expecting. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. bailey

bailey

My case rests

17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

can i be one of the first members and i do recommend the spay find horn the Tay the and all the rivers in Scotland as you can get sum of the best canoeing in the UK there but manly in the spring when the snow melts :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you want some 'excitement' do "Les Gorges de l'Ardèche" from Vallon Pont d'Arc to Saint Martin d'Ardèche, we did it in some hired 'rigid' plastic canoes and I'm glad we did as there are a lot of rapids and rocks! It took about 8.5 hours (yes really!) and was around 30km in length.

One thing for those to think about when buying inflatable canoes is how easy they are to dry and store - some with internal bladders inside an outer nylon type fabric can be an absolute pain to dry as we found when we bought some, so we now have Gumotex kayaks/canoes which are extremely tough and easy to dry. The first we had was a large 2 seater which we took our 3 dogs out in, with various other single ones, and we now have a couple of Gumotex Helios 1 kayaks as per the second picture and our 2 smaller dogs love going out ... one likes to sit on the bow and the other in the main centre section. :BigGrin:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armytwowheels

I agree, easy river paddling is life in the slow lane, make for a very relaxing day. Which rivers are ou by? We have only been on the Old River Nene and the actual River Nene so far.

20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

OK so do we have two members of this exclusive club yet:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1