Morocco 2017 (1 Viewer)

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
We are booked on the 10am ferry to tangier med in the morning just wondered if anyone else is here? Car park full of French vans. It's our first trip so would love to find someone who knows the ropes.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@GrannieAnnie If you can't find a Funster just follow the French! (But make sure you're on the same ferry, check your tickets and go to the correct check-in channel at the port).

Good luck and let us know how you get on. AND DON'T WORRY, it's quite straightforward.

See you somewhere in Maroc.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just a quick question, has Carlos moved offices or is he operating from both ?

Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
Just a quick question, has Carlos moved offices or is he operating from both ?
New office coordinates N36.179408, W -5.441262
Somebody has added it to MapsMe :)

He's not at the old office beside the burnt out Lidls.
If you come down the main road,, the burnt out Lidl on left, big Carrefour on right, turn right at the roundabout and then 1st left, there will probably be motorhomes parked outside.

We're now at El Jadida, weather stll great and although everybody says how cheap everything is, I still can't believe how much so
Ang

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
We're now in Kenitra and heading south tomorrow having spent 3 days in Assilah. We stayed in the GP about a km. east of the one in the book as the construction of the new port constricts it. There is also a site closely with el and hot showers we were told for 70dhm.
Hope to meet up with others soon

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
Well we are here. Everyone was right it was all pretty straight forward at the port and a very helpful man (French) in the van in front of us pointed us in the right direction. Fred was asked if he had a pistol at customs but we were then waved straight through. Spent our first night at a site in Assilah 8euros including electric very basic and shabby but ok venturing further south today. Still no English people but hey ho it gives me more opportunity to practice my French Bonne route x

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well done @GrannieAnnie see, told you so! We've looked at that site and agree shabby is the word until you get used to them, but most people appear to stay on the guardian parking (just off the roundabout at the north end of town).

Stay in touch and we'll surely meet up somewhere.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well, with the exodus in motion, As I'm kicking around not doing much this afternoon thought I'd update the list of Funsters intending to go to Morocco. As I said before it seems to be polarising into 2/3 groups so get yourselves organised.

Inshallah, we intend to cross on 24 January so anyone who would like to cross with us, please let me know asap either here or by PM.

Morocco 2017 – Intended Travellers
Name Intended/Preferred Crossing Date (approx)

198d Christmas 2016 ??
Angelad CROSSED
GrannieAnnie CROSSED
Running Wild CROSSED
horshamjack 1st week Jan ??
Mr Ed <- mid-Jan
Rodneyplonker <- mid-Jan
Hotelman mid-Jan
Bob and Phyllis mid-Jan
Kip mid-Jan
Fredgwen mid-Jan
Milli'n us mid-Jan->
Abforfun 15 Jan
Cakey 15 Jan
fivestar 15–20 Jan
Old Bill 20 Jan
Theonlysue 20 Jan ->
mustaphapint 24 Jan
Portland 24 Jan
TerryL 24 Jan
Bob and Ibby 24 Jan
Pikeman 24 Jan
Busman 2nd week Feb
StanandShirley mid Feb

Robert Clark September
Hilary Owen Sept/Oct
johnandi Jan 2018

Suggy ??
?? George Clayton ??
Anna-Gabor ??
??Canopus ??
tgee ??

Any amendments, let me know.

198d

Free Member
Jul 30, 2016
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
After a slow journey down to Andalucia (we left at the start of August) we're finally going to cross at the start of next week, if all goes to plan! I forgot to bring my V5, so once it's arrived we will find the mythical Carlos and sort out our crossing.

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
only since 2015 october:) we are fresh chickens!
Hello All, we intend to cross in the next 2weeks, we have to sort out few things before we go.
One of them is getting a rabies booster for us humans, do you may know where they do it? We are near Malaga currently.
And is it necessary to go to a vet for a stamp / statement that our pets are healthy to travel or we just cross without going to a vet? ( we of course have all jabs uptodate and titer test done in our home country too) if we need a vet do u have a recommendation maybe an english speaking vet?
Thanks a lot:)!

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Anyone any suggestions for Tanger V Ceuta. We always used Ceuta but the new port opened at Tanger and owing to a problem with the Ceuta ferry, good old Carlos came to the rescue at the port and got us on the Tanger crossing, we were pleasantly surprised. How does the cost and experience compare?

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hello All, we intend to cross in the next 2weeks, we have to sort out few things before we go.
One of them is getting a rabies booster for us humans, do you may know where they do it? We are near Malaga currently.
And is it necessary to go to a vet for a stamp / statement that our pets are healthy to travel or we just cross without going to a vet? ( we of course have all jabs uptodate and titer test done in our home country too) if we need a vet do u have a recommendation maybe an english speaking vet?

No idea about where you'd get a rabies booster but the Spanish health service is excellent so why not just ask at a medical centre or a pharmacy. We've never bothered for ourselves, but then rabies is not a problem in the UK - yet!

But regarding the dogs you must have an anti-rabies jab and a certificate to show it has "taken" - but of course you've got them. As regards visiting a vet before you cross, as far as I can tell it is not necessary and I'm not aware of any checks on pets entering Morocco ever having been encountered. Even coming back into Europe nobody seems to be bothered (but the UK is another story of course which you don't have to worry about).

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Anyone any suggestions for Tanger V Ceuta. We always used Ceuta but the new port opened at Tanger and owing to a problem with the Ceuta ferry, good old Carlos came to the rescue at the port and got us on the Tanger crossing, we were pleasantly surprised. How does the cost and experience compare?

Like Phil we've only done the Tangers-Med crossing (3 times) and found it a doddle compared to what we've heard about Ceuta and Tanger-Ville, the exit road putting you straight onto the motorway.

No idea about cost comparisons, but I'm happy enough with Carlos' Funster discounted cost of €180, especially as he (or rather his daughters now - understand he's apparently retired) does most of the paperwork for you.

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
only since 2015 october:) we are fresh chickens!
Thank you TerryL for your reply! We will try a medical center then good idea! In our country we have a special vaccination center and thats the only place you can get it, hopefully here its different. We only need the rabies jab because we had a VERY lively jack russel terrier and he often got into fight with strays. Incase we had to interrupt and got bitten by the other dog we always had this jab. We just keep it up-to-date since then but not for a particular reason anymore as he is not with us anymore.
Yes for our current dog and cat we have all things so its great theres no need for another visit to the vet:)
If it turns out we finish all we need to sort out before the 24th Jan when you go, can we accompany your group TerryL? But its likely we will only get to know this closer to the date. Is it okay to notify you just few days before the 24th?
Thank you :)

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We are hoping to arrive at Carlos's on Saturday and cross on Sunday, also crossing is cakey, Rob and Phyllis, and up to 3 others, anymore company very welcome.

Dec 7, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7yrs
And is it necessary to go to a vet for a stamp / statement that our pets are healthy to travel or we just cross without going to a vet? ( we of course have all jabs uptodate and titer test done in our home country too) if we need a vet do u have a recommendation maybe an english speaking vet

No, don't need a vet stamp to say dogs are healthy. Customs at Tangier Med asked to see dog's passports and examined rabies stamps. Didn't ask for titre test results, think thats maybe just a DEFRA requirement.

We've just arrived at Essaouira, hot but windy and just seen our first camels on the beach
Ang

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If it turns out we finish all we need to sort out before the 24th Jan when you go, can we accompany your group TerryL? But its likely we will only get to know this closer to the date. Is it okay to notify you just few days before the 24th?
Thank you :)

@Anna-Gabor You would be very welcome, just let me know beforehand. If not before, I would expect to meet up with "my" group on parking area outside Carlos' on 23rd by about 1.00 p.m.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
@Theonlysue ,how are getting on in Germany?Do you think you will still be crossing on 20th if so that would match our plans,do you want to buddy up for crossing.
We are o/k on own but company always good.

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
Having left Kenitra we moved south to oualidia or loualida on some signs and are now in Essaouira in the campsite nearest the GP. Good wifi in the van hence this update. Be here a couple of days I reckon. Another uk van here but yet to speak to them. Otherwise we saw a Hymer in Assilah but it didn't stop. we have yet to see a uk plate. As with Granny Annie the French is having to improve.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Just received "Guide to Aires and Camping Maroc" thought it was a good idea to update ourselves on areas for stopping overnight both free and guardian. Looks like it may have been a waste of time, doesn't look particularly user friendly or that informative. For example is there Guardian parking around the Medina in Essaouira still? We stayed there year on year until our last visit in 2010 yet there is no mention in the guide.

Anyone know of any more up to date source of info. We're more than happy to pay our way but not always looking for a campsite. During our last visit we did notice things starting to change a bit with local attitude to where you parked.
Safi was a prime example we, British number plate, were asked to move [11.30 at nigtht] to a camp site which we knew was closed but had to follow the local Police for them to see. They then expected us to park for the night on the road outside which was on a hill, they then re-appeared and told us to go back to where we were, main road pull in looking down on the town.
The German van who were also parked at this spot were not asked to move.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As a matter of interest, we love Essaouira but can't make it by van so a quick look on web and two of us can have a fortnight there, half board for £1K.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You'd be bored after a week Brian - £1k seems a lot

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As a matter of interest, we love Essaouira but can't make it by van so a quick look on web and two of us can have a fortnight there, half board for £1K.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
You can do it for a hell of a lot cheaper than that ! I met a Brit overwintering in private accommodation last year who was paying around £500.00 a month for a 3 bedroom flat. Cleaning lady, visiting every day, sports tv, balcony, sea view, plus mod cons. He's been doing it for years. Flies in for £29.00 from Luton.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just received "Guide to Aires and Camping Maroc" thought it was a good idea to update ourselves on areas for stopping overnight both free and guardian. Looks like it may have been a waste of time, doesn't look particularly user friendly or that informative. For example is there Guardian parking around the Medina in Essaouira still? We stayed there year on year until our last visit in 2010 yet there is no mention in the guide.

Anyone know of any more up to date source of info. We're more than happy to pay our way but not always looking for a campsite. During our last visit we did notice things starting to change a bit with local attitude to where you parked.

@Hilary Owen yes unfortunately the Vicarious item itself is well out of date, but if you go onto their website they maintain a file of reports that helps. We bought a French publication, Guide Maroc des aires & campings, got it from Amazon, which is better but still not up-to-date.

The GP in Essaouira is now at the other end of the beach to the north of the town - about 1km but nice walk along the front or a petit-taxi for 5dh each.

@Running Wild be sure to explore the medina, it's fascinating. We also found a little "square" with half a dozen restaurants just off the wide road that runs n/s on the east of the town if I remember correctly - can recommend any of them and we're sure to return this trip.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@canopus has it nailed. We stayed here in 2015, little guardian shack at entrance to parking area. No waste disposal or fresh water facilities.

Essaouira 2016. (Bet @TerryL never expected this from me).
IMG_8757.JPG
IMG_8758.JPG
IMG_8760.JPG
IMG_8762.JPG
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG
IMG_8774 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG
IMG_8781 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8785.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oops sorry everyone. Yes Ken, you're right - got my norths and souths mixed up.

@PhilandMena - you're just jealous Phil. But nice photos with happy memories - hope to revisit this trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back