horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Stock up in Spain is the best tip. Gibraltar if you want spirits at half the price of home. If you go into the Lidl (or any Supermarket) in Algeceras the day before you cross, don't buy bucket loads of the cheapest plonk. Buy one bottle and try first, then stock up with the one you like. Don't do as one numptie :rofl: did last year, and buy a trolley full of stuff for 2p per bucket full, only to find it wasn't fit to put on your chips, never mind drink.

Keep the booze (especially spirits) under cover as the Moroccan Port Police are partial to whiskey and will reject cheap plonk if offered to them.

I would quit the booze if I had to drink shite like that Ken:LOL:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Okay everybody, it's time to start thinking about Morocco 2016.

As last year I'll be happy to co-ordinate the group and arrange the initial campsite and ferry tickets but please note: THIS IS NOT A RALLY. Once across the idea is that you do your own thing, but of course anybody who wants to stick with us for a few days won't be chased off! And also of course there are countless other Funsters who will be happy to offer help and guidance.

I've had to put in a couple of days delay to my timings in my last post but here is OUR itinerary:-

Mon 11 January Arrive at Spanish Campsite – (Possibly Estapona again).
Our main reason for using a campsite is to get batteries charged, tanks refilled/emptied etc. and washing brought up-to-date.
Also mini-briefing for anyone who wants it.

Wed 13 January Meet at Lidl car park in Algeciras around lunchtime.
To buy ferry tickets and do last-minute shopping. Overnight here

Thurs 14 January Proceed to port and take 10.00 ferry to Tangers-Med
Travel to Asilah (around 1hr) to guardian parking.
Visit Maroc-Telecom and sort out internet. Walk round Asilah to “acclimatise” newbies.

Fri 15 January Everybody go off and do their own thing!

I've extracted a list of names from the thread of those mentioning an intention/wish to travel to Morocco in January which mainly consists of those who've been before but does also include some newbies. I appreciate that not all will want to travel at the above times and I've got no problem with that. If anyone wants to look after an earlier (or later) group please be my guest and I'll happily help with arrangements!

@nick@kim @Dazzlin @horshamjack @Ethle the wondervan @JackieP @PhilandMena @Peter & Elaine @Millie ‘n us @makems @Armytwowheels @Busman @tgee @Theonlysue @Charlie Also @Portland

Obviously at some stage I'm going to need an idea of numbers so I can negotiate with campsites/Carlos so perhaps you would now all get your thinking caps on and let me know if you want to join our group, or perhaps let others know your intentions. There is absolutely no rush for this, and indeed, as happened last time, can be changed right up until the purchase of tickets but some indication by mid-November would be helpful. You can either post on here or send me a PM (or "Conversation" as it's called now!).

And for anybody reading this thread for the first time, look back through previous postings for useful information. If anyone wants further info (although with the plethora already posted here and on the 2015 and 2015 threads I can't think what) please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sounds good to me ;-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
@TerryL
We'll be there around that time but no definates.
Are you mentioning to Carlos there will be others crossing and to get a discount on producing 'fun ID'?
I think you manages to get a similar deal last year.
Thanks in advance.
D n L

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We are definitely going again provided there are no political or terrorist related reasons not to.
However we will probably be a few days behind Terry. We will arrive at Lidl on the 18th or 19th.
We might give Asilah a miss on the way down as I've got an unused SIM card from this years trip which will still be valid.
If the weathers not too bad we will bimble down the coast, if it's cold and wet we will shoot straight down to Marrakech on the motorway to get South as quickly as possible.
Any newbies who can't make Terry's dates are welcome to Rendezvous with us at Algeciras

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Put us down for a maybe, might cross over before you get down there otherwise will probably hook up with you for the crossing, then all day drive south. What particular campsite are you proposing around Estepona!

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
@TerryL
Please add us to the list as we would like to join the group crossing on the 14th January (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Put us down for a maybe, might cross over before you get down there otherwise will probably hook up with you for the crossing, then all day drive south. What particular campsite are you proposing around Estepona!

We used Parque Botanico Tropical which is (was?) an ACSI site about 2km east of the town itself. A pleasant, quite small site with a restaurant (which closed the day we got there!) Nearest shops etc are in the town which is either a decent walk or a short bus ride. They gave everybody the ACSI rate which was €14 p.n.

Might do some more research, or has anyone else any suggestions? Bella Vista were a rip-off, no matter how attractive it is.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@TerryL
We'll be there around that time but no definates.
Are you mentioning to Carlos there will be others crossing and to get a discount on producing 'fun ID'?
I think you manages to get a similar deal last year.
Thanks in advance.
D n L
Is there a Fun ID? If so how do we get it.
We hope to go down to Marocco again this year but Judy wants to go down all the way down to Daclar again but will probably decide the day before we leave as is our usual custom it seems.
Steve

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is there a Fun ID? If so how do we get it.

Steve

There is no such thing as a "Fun" ID, however I suggested that if you've got one of the MotorhomeFun yellow introduction cards, with your name printed on it, he seemed to have accepted it last time. There is a card up on his office wall - right side looking in. Haven't heard of anybody being refused and as far as I'm concerned it's an ongoing discount. I will however remind him when I contact him.

Again for this next trip, as last time, I will be advising Carlos in advance of who/how many and will take all the paperwork together in one go.

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
I gave that card to Carlos last year Terry and he fixed it to the wall when I was there. that was after our chats and your sterling work in negotiating the deal.
I will be going over on the 8th Jan as last year, and if that falls into any newbies plans let us know,
Will be down South mooching around till Jan hope to catch up with you all soon

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
Hi Terry where do you get one of the yellow introduction cards from as we will be going over mid December and would like to get the discount from Carlos

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Booked ferry 9th of January 2015 dover to calais travelling with my sister whome hasn't had a holiday for 3yrs meet up with someone in Alger cerise (whatever )

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Booked ferry 9th of January 2015 dover to calais travelling with my sister whome hasn't had a holiday for 3yrs meet up with someone in Alger cerise (whatever )
You can make Algecerias in 5 days driving and you have the added benefit of driving through France at the weekend with no HGV's on the road so can crack on ! (I put in 2 big days of driving to clear France and then 3 days steady driving to reach Algecerias(last day is a short 4 hour drive)).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Terry where do you get one of the yellow introduction cards from as we will be going over mid December and would like to get the discount from Carlos

Sent you a PM (or Conversation" as they're known now).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Are you thinking of joining us? You'd be very welcome.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
All being well no real itinerary but would be nice to tag along with people in the know thanks hopefully c u there lol

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm more likely to be there now than I was a few weeks ago. I've just coped with the Bordeaux periphique at rush hour this morning (no, I've no idea why I did it either) so after that I reckon I can cope with just about anything.

I only have internet once in a blue moon and for a short time I've taken a screen shot of your itinerary to look at later.

RayandMary

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Earby, Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohawk
Exp
We are booked in to a site near Alicante for the 1st January and after that we will travel to meet up on the Monday 11th January. Your itinery sounds great.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All being well no real itinerary but would be nice to tag along with people in the know thanks hopefully c u there lol
Ok I'll add you as a "possible". Let me know if you firm up your plans - just so I can keep an eye on the numbers.

I'm more likely to be there now than I was a few weeks ago. I've just coped with the Bordeaux periphique at rush hour this morning (no, I've no idea why I did it either) so after that I reckon I can cope with just about anything.

I only have internet once in a blue moon and for a short time I've taken a screen shot of your itinerary to look at later.
Bordeau? that's a doddle. You should try Paris!
I'll add you as a possible - again let me know as above.

We are booked in to a site near Alicante for the 1st January and after that we will travel to meet up on the Monday 11th January. Your itinery sounds great.
You're very welcome. Keep your eyes on the thread for further info as and when.

Terry

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Stock up in Spain is the best tip. Gibraltar if you want spirits at half the price of home. If you go into the Lidl (or any Supermarket) in Algeceras the day before you cross, don't buy bucket loads of the cheapest plonk. Buy one bottle and try first, then stock up with the one you like. Don't do as one numptie :rofl: did last year, and buy a trolley full of stuff for 2p per bucket full, only to find it wasn't fit to put on your chips, never mind drink.

Keep the booze (especially spirits) under cover as the Moroccan Port Police are partial to whiskey and will reject cheap plonk if offered to them.

I thought it worth mentioning we were unable to buy boxes (3,5 & 10 ltr.) of wine in Algecerias and we hunted high and low. All the supermarkets and all we could find was the 80 cent 1 lite cartons of piss.
Plenty of bottles though and good choice of beer in can's too.
Next year, on our way down, were visiting City Europe in Calais to get all of our wine in boxes. It's cheaper, less weight and easier to store/hide.
We will the do the Edlington wine scam and buy one good bottle of red and white and fill from the boxes when slumming it with our fellow Funsters.

We shall also buy a cheap bottle of red and put in a prominent place as a gift for our friendly, honest Moroccan custom man.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We shall also buy a cheap bottle of red and put in a prominent place as a gift for our friendly, honest Moroccan custom man.

A few years ago we were broken down at Taghazoute and waiting for a part from Germany which was stuck at Customs in Casablanca.
I suggested to Mustafa our mechanic that perhaps a few dirhams might speed up the clearance process.
"No, No" he said. "You can bribe the Police and the Army, but not Customs, they will put you in prison for bribery!"
Of course the Customs chaps at the port might be a different breed. but none has ever checked our van for alcohol; (just as well!)
In fact 3 years ago we were travelling with @Kiwicoss who had a load of slabs of beer stacked just inside his hab door. A Customs man asked to look inside his van and stuck his head inside, checked that there were no hidden occupants and waved Colin on his way. The Customs man's nose was inches away from a stack of beer and he wasn't bothered in the slightest!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just wondering @JackieP if you have your Green Card organised, I remember the trouble and expense of those who try and get them at the last minute. Worth checking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back