Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Solar Panels

I here they are cheap to buy and fit over there, the previous owner had a 200 w fitted out there but took it off when i bought it, so will be looking into it esp if free camping.

Second-hand solar panels used to be very cheap in Morocco, but that was when they were expensive in the UK. I think they can now be bought cheaper here.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Mophead..
Just for info, me and another van plan to leave UK on 9th January via Dover - Calais.
Heading straight for the port meet on 15/16th..
If you decide and want to tag on the convoy no issues...

I think this is a great opportunity to have a bit of guidance on the trip but still have some freedom without being tied to a guided tour. Ours plans as yet are maybe only to stay in Morocco for a month (family commitments) and get a taster hopefully for a much longer trip on our own next time..

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
:)

:Cool: was on the beach today looking across the med at the Moroccan coastline, CANT WAIT now for January lol :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OUCH.. !!

Been to doctors to see nurse about what vaccinations needed for Morocco,
well thats what my wife said we were going for....

SHE STUCK 3 NEEDLES IN ME.. !!!:Sad:

Oh well, i'm covered and it was free..:thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Dave - what about gas?
We have the Gaslow system (2 bottles) and I understand LPG is not available in Morocco?
I have read on "another forum" that local gas bottles are very cheap and will fit straight on the end of a Gaslow hose. If so is the cheap solution to remove one Gaslow bottle and buy a local bottle to fit in its place?
Can anyone confirm that local bottles will fit on to the gaslow hose or will I need to sort out adaptors?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave - what about gas?
We have the Gaslow system (2 bottles) and I understand LPG is not available in Morocco?
I have read on "another forum" that local gas bottles are very cheap and will fit straight on the end of a Gaslow hose. If so is the cheap solution to remove one Gaslow bottle and buy a local bottle to fit in its place?
Can anyone confirm that local bottles will fit on to the gaslow hose or will I need to sort out adaptors?

Hi, A Moroccan bottle is the same fitting as a Calor blue bottle, ie left hand thread. The Moroccan bottle has a male fitting. A Calor regulator will fit streight onto a Moroccan bottle as will a German one.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Dave - what about gas?

Don't forget Autogas is available in Spain and I understand the is a filling station just outside Algeciras at Los Barios.

It all depends on how much you think you will need in Morocco.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would have thought 2 full bottles when leaving Spain would be enough. What most do in Morocco is buy one of there camping gas sized bottles with a screw on burner and do most of the cooking outside. These bottles are nowhere near as expensive as they are in Europe.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi, A Moroccan bottle is the same fitting as a Calor blue bottle, ie left hand thread. The Moroccan bottle has a male fitting. A Calor regulator will fit streight onto a Moroccan bottle as will a German one.

Stupid question :Blush::
Do Calor red bottles and blue bottles have the same fitting? (I have a red bottle and a pigtail to connect it to the Truma selector thingy that chooses which bottle to draw from).
I could fill both Gaslow bottles before leaving Spain and IF I need more gas then I can take one out and fit in a local cylinder using the hose that fits the Calor cylinder.
Sound feasible?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

did I get this wrong? I'll double check today when I get to the workshop.
no one has picked up on this but I am fairly certain that Propane (red bottle) is a lefthand thread whilst butane(blue bottle) is normal righthand thread. so clarification needed please Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Stupid question :Blush::
Do Calor red bottles and blue bottles have the same fitting? (I have a red bottle and a pigtail to connect it to the Truma selector thingy that chooses which bottle to draw from).
I could fill both Gaslow bottles before leaving Spain and IF I need more gas then I can take one out and fit in a local cylinder using the hose that fits the Calor cylinder.
Sound feasible?

Red and blue are different. Red bottles have a female fitting and blue a male. They both have left hand threads, or at least mine do........I think!!!

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
So what I need is a hose to fit the Truma thingy at one end and a Calor Butane bottle at the other?

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
moroccan tour/meet

Snowbird :thumb:what a fantastic trip you are outlining will not make it this year due to having to sort out a small health problem but I will track you every day keep the pics coming.The many Spanish long term winter trips have always had us longing for a Moroccan winter. So hopefully Dec 2013 will be the year.Wishing you all the best for the trip God bless and keep you safe.Otis the Staffy:winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So what I need is a hose to fit the Truma thingy at one end and a Calor Butane bottle at the other?

I think that should just about do it. I think these pigtails are available on the tinternet from gaslow or someone similar.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now there are 13 :thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Finally got round to sorting out the gas hose.
I found the following site which helpfully has pictures of the propane and butane hoses. Link Removed
Both are L/H thread but propane is a male fitting, butane is female.
I've checked and my spare hose is definitely propane so I will be buying a butane hose to take with me - about £6 + p&p from t'interweb. (or would it be cheaper to buy in Morocco?)
Mike

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It probably would be cheaper to buy in Morocco, but first you would have to find one :winky:
Seriously, if you get it in the UK at least you can check it works first :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
did I get this wrong? I'll double check today when I get to the workshop.
no one has picked up on this but I am fairly certain that Propane (red bottle) is a lefthand thread whilst butane(blue bottle) is normal righthand thread. so clarification needed please Dave
yup double checked and apologies for the misdirection, both are lefthand. I was thinking of the Oxy bottle, hee hee.

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Stock Up

One question I have always wanted to know, most people going over tend to STOCK UP! at Lidl's (other supermarkets are available) I understand there are the French supermarkets Marjam? over there so what do people STOCK UP on ?

I understand alcohol is not as available over there as much, so have i just answered my Q :Doh:

:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One question I have always wanted to know, most people going over tend to STOCK UP! at Lidl's (other supermarkets are available) I understand there are the French supermarkets Marjam? over there so what do people STOCK UP on ?

I understand alcohol is not as available over there as much, so have i just answered my Q :Doh:

:ROFLMAO:

Most stock up with beer and things that we know in Lidle. The Marjan is very good, but beer as we know it is expensive. The Marjan is only in big cities, which I do tend to steer well clear of.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We always carry plenty of the part baked bread as an emergency as the last thing you want to be doing is travelling miles for bread when your on a secluded beach. Moroccan bread is mainly the flat bread although you can sometimes get a French stick. Neither will keep more than a day.

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Re

Ok so i guess fill up with beer crisp and bread? Party time lol :ROFLMAO:

Glad they dont have weigh bridges over there then phew:Blush:
better pump up the air bags:winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So this is the list as it stands now.
Snowbird.
Suggy.
Makems.
Bryandh.
Nodrogski.
Tonka.
Cydersyd.
Gaudi.
Crizatuk.
Malcolmbolt.
Mickymouse.
Salmonfisher.
Mophead (Possible)

Last edited:

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mophead..
Just for info, me and another van plan to leave UK on 9th January via Dover - Calais.
Heading straight for the port meet on 15/16th..
If you decide and want to tag on the convoy no issues...

I think this is a great opportunity to have a bit of guidance on the trip but still have some freedom without being tied to a guided tour. Ours plans as yet are maybe only to stay in Morocco for a month (family commitments) and get a taster hopefully for a much longer trip on our own next time..

Very many thanks for this - will give this offer considerable thought - I may try to 'drag' a friend along too as the shorter time frame may be good for her.
What kinds of costs have you worked out for this?
I'll work on it anyway, I think I'd be bonkers to miss this!
rgds
Angie.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH