Mobile Internet Access (1 Viewer)

A

aynishamansbus

Deleted User
Internet Everywhere Orange

Hi
we have just bought the internet everywhere from orange, £15.99 a month for Uk & europe... so far so good have tried it several places in UK also quite rural places. it lets you know the coverage you have by putting in a postcode and of course signal strength indicator. We are happy with it, though it is slower than normal wireless. hope this helps:Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Oyster Internet Connection?

Now to throw a real spanner into the works - just for fun!

Talking to a friend, Christopher Dean, recently he has told me that a young satellite 'guru' he knows, has stated quite specifically that it is now possible to convert your ordinary Oyster satellite dish into an internet reciever as well as a sky reciever. Apparently the technology already exists, it only needs a minor attachment to the Sat Box - and all is up and running to get broadband wherever you may be, through your oyster dish. The reason that it is not yet on the market is that 'Governments' have yet to work out how to charge for it.

Any Guru's on here know anything about it?

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Satellite Broadband

Hi Moandick,

I have been reading up on the present satellite technology and found that to the general public you would need to be rich or daft to have it set up, the speeds are apallingly slow and it can be very difficult to receive.

I am still reading but this is the first that I have heard about standard Satellite Internet availabillity. I know an engineer that fits to offshore rigs etc so I'm going to try to find out if he knows anything, watch this space.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Mark

We have only just said goodbye to the McBride Family from here in Cornwall - Paul is/was an Australian Journalist who full-timed all over Europe with his young family whilst running a monthly magazine - which he produced on-board wherever he was hooked up and then 'beamed' back to the printers for production.

He used a 'datastorm' sat dish with two reading heads, one for TV and one for Internet, which apparently was tuned into the NASA satellite. Paul claimed to be getting true download speeds in excess of 3½mb - for a cost of £75 per month. Downside, he tells me was the installation cost well in excess of £5000.

Given the cost of installing a normal 'auto' sat tv dish (approx £3500) I didn't think that was too excessive - and Paul was adamant that he could get decent reception from virtually anywhere in Europe.

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Does the £15.99 allow you to use it in Europe or do you have to pay extra

Thanks

Hi
we have just bought the internet everywhere from orange, £15.99 a month for Uk & europe... so far so good have tried it several places in UK also quite rural places. it lets you know the coverage you have by putting in a postcode and of course signal strength indicator. We are happy with it, though it is slower than normal wireless. hope this helps:Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Jim

Although the system you quoted is very good and quite cheap - it doesn't do the same as the datastorm - i.e. get Internet access and TV signals at the same time.

quote: Based on Alden’s 90cm "Platinum" satellite TV system, the Netmaster is simple to operate and can also be used to receive TV signals, although not at the same time. Additional hardware consists of a special 2-way LNB outside and a specially designed modem on the inside of the vehicle.

That was why I was so taken with Paul McBride's system - it did both simultaneously.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I nearly bought a Netmaster a while ago, even had a fitting date arranged. Something came up and I had to postpone the fitting. Two months on and I have not rung to make a new fitting date. The thing is, the dongles I have (Orange & Three) are getting better and better, where one has a bad signal the other is good. (apart from my home in West Wales where neither work :RollEyes: ) This coupled with more and more sites getting Wifi fitted, its making that £3k outlay for the netmaster look pretty expensive.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Jim - bit cheeky, I know, but it is a serious question...............

Interesting reading that you have two dongles - Orange and Three - is one of them 'Pay-as-you-go' or are they both on contract?

The reason I ask is that I was considering getting another one separate from Three, which didn't work at Shepton Show - whereas Orange did a couple of years ago.

I have been told that if you get a 'Pay-as-you-go' Orange dongle you can buy top-up time and use it at anytime - i.e I could use it at a Show put it away for a couple of weeks then use it again until I run out of 'down-time'

Is that how it works?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Has anyone tried the 'new' internet dongles?

We are thinking about changing our Internet provider to one of those dongles from the mobile companies.

That way we will still have Internet access when 'tripping'.

Have looked at the carphone warehouse deal for a new laptop with dongle at £29 per month.

How much access will this give? Are there any other charges to consider? What sort of UK coverage is available? Any problems on campsites like tuning the TV seems to cause us?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Hi Gypsylady,

What an interesting thread....as you can see many of us use dongles, ours is also a 3 mobile, an early contract at £15.00/month over 18 months. We have used it all over the UK with only the occasional failure to contact, and usually that was with poor weather conditions.

3 Mobile can be used at the contract rate in countries with 3Mobile branches, Denmark, Sweden, and others. They said they would have a branch in France by July 08, havent seen it yet!!!

Its true, there are more wifi outlets available, many for free, in France, but we tend to use the local libraries, they arealso free, and usually very comfortable and fast.

Now, the offer of a laptop and dongle, may I suggest, a) what will the outlay be, is it 18 months, or 24 months at b) £30.00/month or £25.oo/month (what ever) = cost of laptop and dongle.

Now look at the specification of the laptop, and see what is available at your local Comet or PC World, for the same specification. You may find a higher specification for the same price, or evan less. Also take note of any antivirus software that may be built in, its not a major issue if there is none, there are some very good free downloads available.

Sorry to go on, but "free laptops" is there ever a "free lunch" :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with your research.:thumb:

Nomadic.

tyrangie1

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi June
I use an internet dongle on 3mobile and so far have had no problems, but i have been told if i use it abroad i will be charged for roaming. so when we do go abroad i will try and find sites with wifi. happy motoring.
Angie:Smile:

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Vodafone

Hi Guys,

We just went into Vodafone to get our Dongles, we shopped around and found the best deal for us was with our Mobile Phone provider. We went into the high street shop first but were shocked by the advertised prices. Eventually we phoned them, told them we were already users of Vodafone and got a deal with 2 x 5GB (per month) usage Dongles that doesn't bill you for over use as long as you don't go over for 3 months in a row (Fair usage policy) for £40. Vodafone boast the fastest connection at present of up to 7.2 Mbps but as always, this depends on location (Signal Quality) and contention (Demand and Time of day).

Hope this helps, best regards,

Mark and Sue.:winky:

Philson

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Funster No
can someone please tell me if I can somehow hold off automatic downloads whilst touring??

Just before you go away:-

Click 'Start'
Click 'Control Panel'
Double click ' Automatic Updates'
Select 'Turn off automatic updates'

When you get home turn on 'Automatic updates'

:thumb:

texastaffy

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Hi, I recently changed to a 3 mobile skype phone2 @ £15 a month with loads of cross network / landline talktime & txt, its worked great so far. By doing this we were then able to qualify for a 3 dongle 5gb @ £7.50 a month, it's been excellent. I previously used t-mobile phone/modem & although worked fine was rather expensive in comparison & speeds were not as good as with the dongle.
Hope this helps,

Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back