Mobile Internet Access

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by gypsylady, Jul 1, 2008.

1. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Has anyone tried the 'new' internet dongles?

We are thinking about changing our Internet provider to one of those dongles from the mobile companies.

That way we will still have Internet access when 'tripping'.

Have looked at the carphone warehouse deal for a new laptop with dongle at £29 per month.

How much access will this give? Are there any other charges to consider? What sort of UK coverage is available? Any problems on campsites like tuning the TV seems to cause us?

Any help gratefully accepted.

June

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Hi there. I converted our son & daughter over to the THREE dongle last year. They think it's great.
    A friend in Spain has the Vodafone Dongle. He is very happy with it.
    Most providers, Vodafone, Three, 02 etc allow use abroad. But be aware of the possibility of extra costs when roaming over there. Fair useage can also apply. :Wink:

3. Pronto

Pronto Read Only Funster

Hi,

We use a Three dongle - good speed and roaming costs are probably better than most I think. In France/Portugal/Spain earlier this year we got good coverage and costs were £3 per MByte. Used for emails this was pretty reasonable - beware the Windows auto download of updates though!!! Being a bit of a newby I got caught for £50 before I realised what was happening::Doh:

Disadvantage of Three in the UK is that the dongle (unlike the Three phones) does not default to GPRS if there is no 3G coverage (it does across the Channel though) - so out of 3G areas you have no internet access; unfortunately this seems to be the case in most places we wanted to go this year - Lakes, Wales etc.::Sad:

Cheers

Mike

4. johnsandywhite

:Cool: You can change the settings to get connected. :Wink:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

See below for a comparison site. Be careful picking a package, not shown in the comparison is what you are charged if you go over your limit. Some providers they will sting you if you exceed your quota with one or two charging over £15 a MB yes FIFTEEN ££ :Eeek:. 3 at the moment seem to me to offer the best deal and if you go over your monthly limit you only pay 10p a MB

Mobile Broadband<<

6. tonycliff

tonycliff Read Only Funster

Vodafone dongle

Hi, Weuse a vodafone dongle which is £7.50 a month for 3GB. We use it mainly for internet surfing and e-mails although we sometimes download music. We have never got close to the limit and the coverage is excellent. Prior to this we had a T mobile dongle but the coverage was nowhere near as good. We never use the dongle abroad as the roaming rates are still quite expensive. However, there is a heck of a lot of wifi internet available in France/Spain/Portugal. Hope this is useful to you. Tony.

7. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Funster

This is of great interest to me as I have recently (in the past month) gone over to mobile internet ....have a Vodaphone dongle and it has worked fantastically even in very remote areas of Cornwall (not known for the best reception?).
    Absolutely delighted with it!!
    You do have to be careful re downloads though as they use up a lot of the 3GB allowance that I have (£15 per month). A warning does come up on the screen and you can check your usage as often as you want.
    Vodaphone was our choice as they are the best and cheapest (or so we have been told!) for Spain and we spend 3 months of the year there.
    ps can someone please tell me if I can somehow hold off automatic downloads whilst touring??

8. artona

artona

Hi

Jimis right but it is very hard to go over 3 gig download, you would have to be streaming video / music to do so.

I use mobile internet solely now and have set up forums/blogs and run mu photographic business using it. At the weekend I uploaded a 38meg album in an hour - fantastic. Because I must have internet access, due to business we have Three which is the fastest but does sometimes goes slow and when that happens we switch to T Mobile which is the most consistent for GPRS. Three and GPRS are apparently merging to create the best mobile internet company going

stew

9. johnsandywhite

:Cool: Both our son and daughter are on Three with the 3GB at £15 a month. They have never in the last 12 months gone over. They are pretty heavy users. :Wink:

Our friend in Spain is charge 45 Euros a month. Fair useage comes into play which kicks him off. He then has to re-connect.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  10. tonycliff

tonycliff Read Only Funster

Voda dongle

Pop into livechat if you have any questions, I will be here until 12.30. Tony

11. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Have a Vodafone dongle, use it for work, never used it in France. Was annoyed that York did not have 3G same as most of North Wales, as far as I know, no limit...

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you're using windows XP......
    open control panel....
    click on automatic updates
    then choose how you want to download or switch off downloads but dont forget to turn it back on again later.

dont know about vista but it will be similar.

john

13. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Read Only Funster

Using T-mobile with a PAYG phone. Can get a 5/6 day pass with unlimited usage for £2.50 Just link to my laptop and away you go. Coverage so far appears quite good

14. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We have a THREE dongle - pay £7.50 a month for 3gb. We have now moved into our fifth wheel fulltime and moved the business from the house into an industrial unit. Tried the THREE dongle on the works computer, works fine so have now cancelled Broadband at £14.99 per month and now the dongle does both, we just unplug and bring it home with us in the evenings. More than happy with it, but a word of caution, a replacement dongle is £800.00, so it wouldn't be a good idea losing it!!!!

Nigel and Pamala

15. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

£800????? The dongles around at the moment that I've seen certainly don't cost anywhere near that - where did you get this info from???

The dongles (many of which are HUAWEI Modems) change hands for around £100 or so off contract, expensive certainly but not to my knowledge £800.......:Eeek:

Laurie

16. johnsandywhite

:Cool: You would only need to buy a pay as you go dongle at £49.99 and put your old sim chip into it. :Wink:

17. Pronto

Pronto Read Only Funster

Tried that - didn't work:cry:

My understanding from Three is when you are out of a 3G area (they don't have GSM capability in their network) is that you are 'roamed' onto (I think) Orange. Three won't pay for data transfer on that network, so although the dongle will work for SMS messaging, it doesn't work for data transfer on the internet (although the dongle often indicates that a connection has been achieved i.e. a solid green light).

It does work OK for internet connection out of the UK - I've used it succesfully in France on GPRS. If somebody can let me know the settings to allow GPRS internet data transfer in the UK I'll buy them a (very large) beer - it was a pain in the **** ealier this year, I went to the Lakes expecting to be able to use the dongle and ended up paying through the nose for WiFi access at the Keswick C&CC site.

Mike

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Ah but the old simm chip was in the lost dongle????????????

19. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Funster

Pappajohn ...bit late seeing this...I use Vista but thanks for that info ...dare say I can adapt it to vista instead of XP!! Thanks!! :Smile:

20. johnsandywhite

:Cool: Sim chip cheap enough to replace? Most are now Data enabled.